Nissan Teana 200XL 2011 Jerk when shifting with lever D to N

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
mascu
Car: Nissan Teana 200XL 2011

Nissan Teana 200XL 2011 (Maxima) Thailand
Engine MR20DE

Hello,
I have a problem with my Teana since new. Whenever I shift the knob lever from Drive to N, there is always a jerk, literally everyone in the car would shake. When you are standing outside and you let someone shift, the car actually shakes from the outside. 1 jerk. This happens regardless of brake pressure applied, cold/warm engine, however it seems to get worse after 5 mins of driving. The initial period after starting seems better.
This happened since 16km on the odometer, now it is roughly 1600km on the odometer.

I have taken in to the dealership which the mechanic laughed and said, I dont see a problem. From my experience, new cars dont do this. Even my previous car, toyota corolla doesn't have this problem. So this jerk just doesn't justify it. It would seem like I am driving an old car with transmission problems.
Next I took it to another dealership, they reprogrammed the shift timing. Still the same results.
I took it in again, this time they called the head office to request some permission. It was granted, they I took it in again and left it there for 2 days. When I picked it up, it was still the same. No idea what they did the second time.

It is at the point where I am actually hesitant to shift the gears, Im actually sub-consciously afraid to move the knob lever. Im sure, sooner or later, the engine mounts will be worned, and next possibly the cvt might fail.

Other infos, the gear engages 1-2 seconds, so no problem there. D to N is the worst jerk. N to D 90% of the time no feeling, but sometimes a jerk. It's as if, it takes so much effort to clunk into the N, not a smooth operation.

Please help me out, I am really out of ideas, and the dealerships are really not helping by not targetting the problem.

Additional info: The jerk is a front back or back front jerk. Not a one way jerk.

MaximA32

When you change the gear, are you at a complete stop?

mascu
Car: Nissan Teana 200XL 2011

Yes, Im at a complete stop.
For example, while in the parking lot, start the car, wait a few minutes to warm up. Brakes fully depressed, and I am at D now, then i shift as gently/normal/hard on the knob leaver from D to N, the car jerks. Every passenger in the car would shake. It's a very quick shake.
Another example is at the red light, coming to a stop. Fully stopped the car, fully brakes on, shift the lever from D to N. A jerk, it happens all the time. Even a smooth jerk I can accept, but it's not. If you put a glass of water on the panel, it will definitely spill the top 25% off.
I need to know if this is normal, this is my first cvt car. My previous cars never had this shake, it was 100% smooth, nobody would feel anything. And this isn't a luxury thing either, most basic cars would never have this shake, so I am really worried.

I have tried 2 other new cars, I did get a noticeable shake/jerk but it's not violent, it's a noticeable smooth gear change. And from the outside staring at the car body panel, it doesn't move. But on my car, if you stand outside and stare at the body, the body shakes/jerks 0.5 inch or so.

Also btw, do I have the grounds to demand a new cvt for warranty? I have no idea what's wrong, but the dealers aren't fixing the problem so...

Another note... could it also be possible, that a dampener of some sort which is suppose to absorb this tranmission shift shock is not installed/not properly installed? What I am saying is, the cvt D to N shift is normal with no faults (all cvt shifts are expected to have a huge shock by itself alone), but a designed rubber dampener of some sort which was designed to absorb this shock and preventing it from being noticed in the cabin is faulty?

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”