Nissan Rogue starter 1st time changing experience

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Since I was getting more engine clicks then bang for my buck, I decided to change my nearly 12 yr old starter instead of taking a chance of being stranded.

Well on paper it looks easy. Two bolts, 1 plug-in harness, and a wire. Sounds simple right?

Oh boy, they made it hard to reach. Luckily, it is possible to do if your arms are long and skinny enough. After a lot of contorting my body, I was JUST barely able to reach some of the components with the tips of my fingers. Moreover, I have a bad right shoulder on top of this job must be done with 1 hand only. :cry:

Even normal arms must be difficult doing this job, and the sickest part is trying to bolt the dang starter in while holding it in place at the same time which is impossible. I don’t know how people get it to magically hold in that spot but I had to shove my kids foam toy to prop it up to make the bolt holes align up. :bang

I made sure I was safe shoving my body into that wheel well trying to squeeze every ounce of my life force trying to reach the parts.

2 jack stands on the same side and a floor jack holding the middle while I attack the area with a lot of frustration and rest breaks rewatching videos to get this done.

More power to the non-mechanic weekend warriors who tackle this job. Half the time I’m Mcguyver trying to find a solution during my car mod/repairs. But the satisfaction in the end makes up for the obstacles.

Anyways, I threadlocker the bolts and put dialectic grease on the wire connection and hope never to go into that rabbit hole ever again.

I decided to go with a brand new duralast gold instead of a refurbished. This one sounds more powerful like it belongs in a muscle car. It no longer sounds like my wimpy oem Nissan one which sounded weak in comparison. From a kitten to now a lion of a starter. :mike

Props for the internet and the shared knowledge. :dblthumb:

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

So you didn't take any pictures of the process with your other hand?? LOL

J/K, good work, hope I never have to tackle that.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The easy way to get the bolts is via the left wheel well using a swivel, a 2-foot extension and a cheater bar. There's no easy way to bust and remove the bolts from up top. Most of the QR25's on other models are in the same boat.

Return to “Rogue Forum”