General Brake Pads & Rotors Discussion

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
lakota55
Car: 2008 nissan rogue

Was just wondering if anyone replaced the front and or back brake pads yet and at what odometer reading, also was the driving mostly city, highway or mix of both....

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

At our 10,000 mile oil change, the dealer checked our brake wear...we were at 90% at 10K miles!

Mostly highway miles, but we are enthusiastic nonetheless

philipa_240sx

lakota55 wrote:Was just wondering if anyone replaced the front and or back brake pads yet and at what odometer reading, also was the driving mostly city, highway or mix of both....
It will be very difficult to compare brake wear or 'estimate' how long your brakes would last by comparing to others. There is more to consider than just the type of driving (ie city or highway), it also depends on your driving habits. ie. Drivers who make abrupt stops or drive aggressively will wear out brakes faster.

Generally as a rule of thumb, brakes will last between 40,000-60,000mi. I average 50,000mi (80,000km). I have 18,000mi (30,000km) on the Rogue now and the brake wear has been very good.

A few suggestions:

1) Have the brakes dissassembled, cleaned and lubed at least once per year (twice is better, esp if you live in areas with snow). Rear disc brakes (and not just Nissan's) are prone to siezing up as they trap alot of the dirt, salt, etc thrown up by the front wheels. Once siezed, the brake pads will not move freely resulting in irregular wear.

2) Brake sooner and more gently. Leave more space in front of you in stop and go traffic and try to use the brakes less.

mstrmstr
Car: Venom Red ROGUE 08...and 4 others

AAAAARGH... Aftermarket hasn't caught up to us yet..

I wanted ceramics to eliminate dusting and only the rear is available-Fronts are unique

Better be sitting down when the dealer tells you what a brake job is from Nissan!!!

blueis300
Car: 2007 nissan maxima 3.5 se

Who takes their car to nissan for a brake job? They screw you on most everything. Only thing I would do is an oil change.

Leo2005

Riiight. Because its free. Otherwise I would change it by myself with synt Mobil.

philipa_240sx

Most brake pads are catalogued using their FMSI (Friction Materials Standards Institute) number. The FMSI number gives the critical dimensions of the pads (ie backing plate size, thickness, etc) but not the type of friction material used. This allows you to cross reference pads and be sure they will fit. However the FMSI number does not define the properties of the friction material. This will vary between mfgs and the model used.

Anyway, some aftermarket brake mfg's have yet to update thier catalogs, but after some searching I found the FMSI numbers for the Rogue:

Front pads: FMSI# D1338
Fitment: 2008-11 NISSAN Rogue

Rear pads: FMSI# D1288
Fitment: 2008-10 NISSAN Rogue, 2007-10 INFINITI G35-G37, 2007-09 NISSAN Altima, 2007-10 NISSAN Sentra

I will add this to the FAQ for future reference.

blueis300
Car: 2007 nissan maxima 3.5 se

Danh Philip seems as though you always have the info. What do you do for a living?

mstrmstr

Got credit card in hand ..Running to parts store- with a smile.

That does make sense too- and why the Rogue can stop like it is glued to the pavement. 60 to 0 in 123 feet!

Looking foreward to Not wiping my wheels every other day..

Thanks Philipa..U Da Man

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

philipa_240sx wrote:Most brake pads are catalogued using their FMSI (Friction Materials Standards Institute) number. The FMSI number gives the critical dimensions of the pads (ie backing plate size, thickness, etc) but not the type of friction material used. This allows you to cross reference pads and be sure they will fit. However the FMSI number does not define the properties of the friction material. This will vary between mfgs and the model used.

Anyway, some aftermarket brake mfg's have yet to update thier catalogs, but after some searching I found the FMSI numbers for the Rogue:

Front pads: D1338
Fitment: 2008-11 NISSAN Rogue

Rear pads: D1288
Fitment: 2008 NISSAN Rogue, 2007 INFINITI G35, 2008-07 NISSAN Altima, 2008-07 NISSAN Sentra

I will add this to the FAQ for future reference.
Wow.. not sure if you all realize this, but you have one HELL of a great leader/moderator in this forum. Philip is awesome! Nice work!

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

Eikon wrote:
Wow.. not sure if you all realize this, but you have one HELL of a great leader/moderator in this forum. Philip is awesome! Nice work!
We know

Don't look at him , he is OURS!!

mstrmstr

Well..

Had to order a set of pads(Ceramic)

I picked Akebono PRO-ACT brand due to availability.

Front # act815Rear # act905 Set run me $103.08 US delivered.

Positive about the rear # since I could find a retail ad listing RogueNot sure about Front #, I searched FMSI D-1338 ..I will soon find out..

I am changing pads because I choose NOT to clean dusty wheels often

philipa_240sx

blueis300 wrote:Danh Philip seems as though you always have the info. What do you do for a living?
Well I don't make a living working on cars... I just really enjoy it.

mstrmstr

AS of this date.. drilled and slotted rotors front and rear are available from several sources.. including ceramic pads.

I bought the rotors cuz they look so cool thru the wheels and are zinc plated for looks and rust prevention too.

I've got 12,000 miles and have changed brakes only for appearance improvement and no brake dust.

EddNog
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

mstrmstr wrote:AS of this date.. drilled and slotted rotors front and rear are available from several sources.. including ceramic pads.

I bought the rotors cuz they look so cool thru the wheels and are zinc plated for looks and rust prevention too.

I've got 12,000 miles and have changed brakes only for appearance improvement and no brake dust.
Hey!

Exactly which brand rotors and pads did you get? Did you notice any increase in noise or change in brake feel?

Thanks for the heads up!

-Ed

philipa_240sx

I used both drilled rotors (240SX) and slotted (Altima). Cool factor aside, I did not notice any big difference. Both designs do produce some wierd 'whirring' noises at times but it's not really distracting.

IMHO....

On the street, drilled/slotted is primarily cosmetic. The slots/holes do aid in venting the rotor and shedding excess water, but most of us never drive hard enough to notice the difference. The only downside is drilled rotors are prone to getting stress cracks around the holes. Slotted are better in this regard.

On the track, properly sized drilled/slotted rotors are a benefit. The extra venting they provide can lower pad temperatures and reduce fade. But if the stock rotors are small to begin with, drilled ones will only reduce the effective heat capacity of the rotor and cause increased brake fade. Many 'hobby' racers (myself included) would just buy blank rotors as they were cheap and performed as good or better than slotted/drilled. Brake rotors on a race car are disposable items... some go through several sets in a season!

philipa_240sx

Now since the Rogue shares front brakes with the '07-08 Sentra SE-R, there are some interesting options:

The stock brakes are 11.84 x 1.04 with a single piston floating caliper. Stillen makes an upgrade for the Sentra SE-R that 'may' fit the Rogue:

Note: I have not tested this application. The rotors are a direct swap, but the calipers from the Rogue and Sentra SE-R have different part no's. Worst case, some new brake mounting brackets would have to be fabricated.

Stillen 13.1" big brake kit:

STILLEN Front Brake Upgrade2007 - 2008 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Part# 30-7120STILLEN's 2-Piston, cross drilled and slotted front brake system allows Sentra drivers who appreciate a responsive braking system to stop with confidence. As with the rest of our brake upgrade kits, it is designed to perform with the factory OE master cylinder and is fully compatible with the factory ABS system.

At the heart of this kit are 2-Piston aluminum calipers and 13"x1.1" (330mm x 28mm) cross-drilled and slotted one-piece rotors. This brake system diminishes the fade found in the stock brakes. All of our big brake kits are delivered complete with caliper mounting brackets, DOT-compliant stainless steel brake lines, Mintex Xtreme brake pads and all the necessary high-grade installation hardware.

EddNog

philipa_240sx wrote:Now since the Rogue shares front brakes with the '07-08 Sentra SE-R, there are some interesting options:

The stock brakes are 11.84 x 1.04 with a single piston floating caliper. Stillen makes an upgrade for the Sentra SE-R that should fit the Rogue:

Stillen 13.1" big brake kit:

Now we're talkin'!

My primary concern with any brake changes that involve slotting and/or cross drilling is increase in noise. I had a custom Wilwood big brake package installed on my tC on all four corners (actually the front was a Wilwood kit for the tC and the back was a custom job that used Wilwood components, produced by a different company) and I had a major increase in brake noise (in the sound of a sound like a mid-low frequency grinding/rubbing noise) any time I braked with moderate or heavy pressure (light pressure wasn't an issue). On that car, the stock brakes were much too soft for my liking, and the upgrade significantly improved brake feel and response. On the Rogue though, the stock brake feel and performance are already up to my demands, but I feel like the 19" wheels make the brakes look tiny. I was thinking about doing a big brake upgrade, front-only, for purely cosmetic reasons, but now I'm debating it dependent on how much noise I'd be introducing. From what I've been told, the slotting creates more noise than the cross drilling...I wonder if Stillen will offer vented-only rotors or cross drilled and vented only with no slotting if I ask for it. I guess when I have the funds for it, I'll ask them!

Thanks for the heads up on compatible brake components, you are, as always, extremely helpful.

-Ed

philipa_240sx

EddNog wrote:Now we're talkin'!-Ed
Yes, 13.1" brakes are very pimp and would fill out 19's very nicely!

Another option is to use the 12.6" '07-08 Sentra SE-R Spec-V brakes. If you can find used parts at an auto recycler, it may be cheaper than the Stillen option.

One final note on searching brake parts for the Rogue:

- Front pads FMSI# D1338
- Rear pads FMSI# D1288 - Same as '07 INFINITI G35, '07-08 NISSAN Altima, '07-08 NISSAN Sentra

- Front rotors: Nissan# 40206-JG00A - Same as the '07-08 Sentra SE-R w CVT, except Spec-V model.- Rear rotors: Nissan# 43206-8H305 - Same as '03-05 350Z, except Brembo brake models.

- Front Calipers: Nissan# 41011-JE00A and 41001-JE00A - Unique to Rogue- Rear Calipers: Nissan# 44011-JG00A and 44001-JG00A - Unique to Rogue

mstrmstr

I have inquired with a Chicago,Il(USA) importer of replacement rotors/pads to assemble a package to market to Rogue owners. Thanks to Phillipa the crossreferencing is a plus.

The rotor/pad package will consist of drilled-slotted rotors and ceramic pads. As they are zinc plated, they do look cool thru the wheel. Granted 98% of us will changeout just for looks, the side benefit is very little brake dust and smoother, shorter barking.

Expected retail for the complete set is expected to be under $259.00 USand will be compatible with stock calipers and ABS system.

EddNog

mstrmstr wrote:I have inquired with a Chicago,Il(USA) importer of replacement rotors/pads to assemble a package to market to Rogue owners. Thanks to Phillipa the crossreferencing is a plus.

The rotor/pad package will consist of drilled-slotted rotors and ceramic pads. As they are zinc plated, they do look cool thru the wheel. Granted 98% of us will changeout just for looks, the side benefit is very little brake dust and smoother, shorter barking.

Expected retail for the complete set is expected to be under $259.00 USand will be compatible with stock calipers and ABS system.
Sweet! Please let us know when this becomes available!

-Ed

Leo2005

Just decided to check http://www.partsgeek.com and found that the part number is different with the one that you provided. It says this rotor is oem so probably they lying? Or....why is it different anyway if its oem?Kiriu Brake Rotor - RearRetail Price: $111.23Your Price: $98.95Quantity:Part Number: W0133-1619142Product Remark: OEMPosition: RearAvailability: In StockOEM

IdaCrue
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

mstrmstr wrote:I have inquired with a Chicago,Il(USA) importer of replacement rotors/pads to assemble a package to market to Rogue owners. Thanks to Phillipa the crossreferencing is a plus.

Sounds like a great package. Any idea of when it will available?

Leo2005

I wonder if anybody replaced their rotors yet. On ebay there's a plenty of different kinds of rotors I don't even know what is the difference in design giving you in braking period? On my A4 I used to have "street" style rotors and didn't feel any difference in stopping.

philipa_240sx

Drilled/slotted rotors are seen alot in racing where it aids in cooling the rotor and venting gases produced by the brake pads. The differences only become noticeable when you do a lot of heavy braking, ie driving down a mountain. For normal street driving, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I do admit that drilled/slotted rotors are very bling though!

Lewy
Car: Rogue

I had the brakes done at the dealer. Took it in due to the front wheels shaking so bad I couldn't stand it. They replaced the rotors and pads under warantee. It was a 9,000 miles

philipa_240sx

Unfortunately brake vibration issues can be common with many cars. I don't know if it's the brake pad material being used or the quality of the metal used in the rotor castings. The Rogue's brakes are decently sized, but they can still 'warp'.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

So we've discussed rotors, now how about information about pads to make it easier when shopping for a new set.

I'm going to leave my stock rotors as they are in great condition, so is it a good idea to replace the pads with ceramic, or is it better to stay with an OE spec pad? Advantages claimed by manufacturers of ceramic pads is they don't get as hot, so there's less chance of warping your rotors, and they don't produce as much dust and are quieter. Do those with experience agree with this? Any potential dangers to look out for when buying pads?

I'm planning on buying a set and just getting a local mechanic to install them for me, and probably do a brake fluid replacement at that time too, any thoughts on this plan (I don't think most shops will have a problem installing parts that I supply)?

RockAuto.com has great prices and huge selection on Rogue parts.

philipa_240sx

I've been using Satisfied Brakes Pro Ceramic on the wife's car for the past 4 years. Very happy with them. Zero warping issues, long life, minimal dusting and almost no noise.

I've never used them on my Nissan's yet, but I will likely use them for the next pad change on the Rogue.

As for brake fluid flushing, every 1-2 years is good for street driven vehicles. The biggest issue with brake fluid is it absorbs moisture (hydriscopic). This lowers the boiling point which could result in brake fade (soft brake pedal) under hard use. On a daily commuter type car you may not notice this as you don't work the brakes very hard. On a sports car, towing, or driving in the mountains, brake fade can occur more frequently.

Leo2005

philipa_240sx wrote:I do admit that drilled/slotted rotors are very bling though!
Not just bling but cheap too. $240 for 4 rotors and ceramic pads - I think it's extremely cheap.

Return to “Rogue Forum”