Nissan Murano reliability (Please sign up if you're new)

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
mkaresh
Car: 2003 Mazda Protege5

Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

We've been providing results for the Murano, but more participants remain needed to properly cover all model years.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research
Modified by mkaresh at 9:17 AM 9/13/2009

mkaresh

Still looking for more of these models. I'd especially like to track CVT failure rates in the Murano, as it was the first U.S.-market Nissan with that increasingly used transmission.

nmurano04
Car: 2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD

hey there, I've owned my Murano for about 3.5 years now and I must tell you that I have driven it quite hard. I've taken good care of it of course, but the one detail that I somehow overlooked was the transmission fluid. I'm nearly at 60k miles on the car and i haven't replaced the transmission fluid yet. What's impressive is that it still performs the same way and I've come to find out that it doesn't need to be replaced that often and its only a precaution of the factory. So the CVT transmission is quite reliable and I would recommend it to anyone. Not to mention. it is so smooth when your accelerating, and it keeps the engine extremely quiet.

mkaresh

Thanks for the info.

Helpfull as it is, though, my analysis will only collect data gathered through TrueDelta's survey process. I'd like to include the Murano in data collection, but need more cars first.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

MY CVT FAILED AFTER 5 DAYS!!! WHAT A CROCK!!!

mkaresh

It's always possible. The question is how likely it is.

mkaresh

The 2003 Murano is now well over halfway to the minimum, and the 2006 is about halfway. I'd like to get started with the Murano, just need more participants.

For the details, and to sign up:

MrPote
Car: Murano 03

my 03 murano performance it's so great and i love how the CVT works... i don't have any problems with it... a smooth ride, great handling and nice speed... So, it's EXTREMELY RELIABLE

texas_murano
Car: 2003 Murano SL

I bought the 2003 Murano Christmas for my wife. Even though it has 107k it runs like brand new. The interior is in perfect condition. I final tracked down the old owner to find out if it had had a new trans etc. He said it was the best car he ever owned (traded it in on a new Murano). Changed the tires once and oil every 3k. Thats it.

Things I love:Heated seatsheadlightsmemory seatsdashdual HVAChatchpower

things that make me frown:rear seat cupholder on the floorover rough road the ride in back is a like riding in a boxcar

Modified by texas_murano at 8:01 AM 1/19/2008

Modified by texas_murano at 8:11 AM 1/19/2008
Modified by texas_murano at 8:14 AM 1/19/2008

JJCANE
Car: 2006 Nissan Murano S

I've had my 2006 Murano S about 2 weeks. Rides great, no problems yet...except my gas mileage indicator keeps getting less and less...its says I'm around 13-16 mpg around town. Is that normal? I thought I'd get near 18-20 mpg.

Otherwise, I love it.

mkaresh

You can find responses for the Murano to TrueDelta's Fuel Economy Survey here:

Nissan Murano fuel economy

With regard to our Vehicle Reliability Survey, the 2003 Murano is now included. Other model years aren't quite to the minimum yet, but are close.

[email protected]
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano

You are right. It is like riding in a box car. In fact a boxcar would be better. It is so bad my passengers say things like OUCH! and OH MY GOD!. I do not know how you can be happy with any car with this terrible suspension unless you never have any passengers. Would never buy another. To bad I bought this "thing" new. If I sell it I will lose a ton of money. THE WORST!!!

Teeeno
Car: 2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD

Hi. I have a 05' SL AWD that we brought down to AZ from Canada and it's been awesome. It went from -40C in the winter to +40 in the summer. The CVT has save a TON of gas & makes the suv easy to drive.

mkaresh

Thanks for the responses.

Just a reminder: I can only use data submitted through the survey process.

Any 2009 owners here? Especially need those, for quick results on the new design.

jimmysab133
Car: 2009 Murano LE - Pearl White [Nav, Jukebox, Dual Moon, Roof Rack]

Hey fellas,

I just picked up my 2009 Murano 2 weeks ago and just signed up for the reliability program -- hopefully get to the repair and fuel surveys this weekend. Hope this helps with your data. See pic below.

peace.jimmy

seniormot

mkaresh wrote:Still looking for more of these models. I'd especially like to track CVT failure rates in the Murano, as it was the first U.S.-market Nissan with that increasingly used transmission.

mkaresh

Just to be clear: I have no idea what the failure rate of the CVT is or will be. It could turn out to be very low. I'd just like to find out.

muranoman77

what exactly is the CVT? is that the transmission?

mkaresh

Yes. CVT = continuously variable transmission. It uses a metal belt that runs between two sets of variable diameter pulleys to continuously vary the gear ratio.

I've assumed that every Murano owner is aware they have such a transmission. Maybe not?

On the research:

The 2004, 2007, and 2009 are now included in the survey, and the other years are all close. Please keep them coming, so I can provide results for all model years in August.

mkaresh

We've gotten a few more 2009s, for a total of 15 now.

I'd very much like to have a full result for the 2009 in the August update. This is doable, but it's probably going to take a couple dozen more participants by the end of May.

If this does happen, it will be a key topic in the press release that attends those results, and this forum will get credit for making the result possible.

To help make this happen:

mkaresh

Total of 22 2009s. Good, but need about twice this many for a solid result in August.

All other model years except the 2005 will be in the May survey. The 2005 is just a couple owners short of the minimum.

Additional participants very much needed for all model years.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

mkaresh wrote:Total of 22 2009s. Good, but need about twice this many for a solid result in August.

All other model years except the 2005 will be in the May survey. The 2005 is just a couple owners short of the minimum.

Additional participants very much needed for all model years.

My '09 is supposed to arrive late this month, I should be able to get a survey in shortly after that.

mkaresh

Thanks, I appreciate it.

The surveys always cover the previous month. So if you get it in May, you can respond in June.

Winger

I bought a 03 FWD demo with 5K miles the first year and now have almost 49K miles. Runs well, prertty happy and no problems with CVT. Have not changed CVT oil yet ! (Winger)

mkaresh

Getting close to the next update, in August.

Most model years are right around the minimum--additional participants would be very helpful. Especially for the 2009.

To help get your year included in the August results:

Bunshaw
Car: '09 Nissan Murano SL FWD

Signing up my '09 now mkaresh.

mkaresh

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Email for the survey goes out tomorrow. The number of responses will determine which model years we have results for in August.

CMaxSwan
Car: 2003 Murano

2003 Murano with 90,000 miles. Some of the things that have gone wrong with the car has been self inflicted. A list my "issues" includes:Some of the power window switches by the driver's left arm failed - since installing those plastic wind deflectors water no long driips on the switches when the window in open - seems to be OK now. Hit a light pole and caused about $11,000 damage - all fixed but a wheel bearing failed after that - could be related and caused by the hard hit. Brakes pads don't last more than about 30,000 miles and the rear fail first. (Brake pads are a big weakness - mechanic said some motorcycles have bigger brakes.)

Overall the vehicle has been alright. Sill looks like new if I clean it up, leather interior is perfect, shiflts good, and everything not mentioned above has been fine.Chuck Swanson, Marquette, MI

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

CMaxSwan wrote:2003 Murano with 90,000 miles. Some of the things that have gone wrong with the car has been self inflicted. A list my "issues" includes:Some of the power window switches by the driver's left arm failed - since installing those plastic wind deflectors water no long driips on the switches when the window in open - seems to be OK now. Hit a light pole and caused about $11,000 damage - all fixed but a wheel bearing failed after that - could be related and caused by the hard hit. Brakes pads don't last more than about 30,000 miles and the rear fail first. (Brake pads are a big weakness - mechanic said some motorcycles have bigger brakes.)

Overall the vehicle has been alright. Sill looks like new if I clean it up, leather interior is perfect, shiflts good, and everything not mentioned above has been fine.Chuck Swanson, Marquette, MI
How much snow do you have up there in the U.P.? I am down in Green Bay, few flurries here, that is about it. You guys can keep all the major storms. LOL

mkaresh

We have updated results for the Nissan Murano. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2009: 34, better than average

2007: 36, better than average

2006: 64, average

2005: 40, better than average

2004: 86, average

2003: 83, average

Sample sizes were only good for the 2009. For the 2003 and 2007 we fell a single response short of the minimum. For the 2004-2006 the sample sizes were very small. We very much need more participants for all first-gen years.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November, hopefully with larger sample sizes.

We now have a separate results page for each model that includes the results for competitors. The page for the Nissan Murano:

Nissan Murano reliability comparisons

Return to “Murano Forum”