Nissan Leaf - Has anyone realised what's happened?

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
wharpiv
Car: 2011 Nissan Leaf SV

Good Morning (1st time poster/1st post).

I am wondering if I might get some advice on a few "Leaf" things,

1. Am I the only one that has seen dramatic reduction in range AFTER the computer resetting? - I would say that mine is about 8-10 miles less than before. Doesn't this directly make the advertising on the range false?

2. Has anyone noticed that 2010 & 2011 Leaf Used market has now become almost non-existant/obsolete? - I just found out a couple of days ago that the new 2013 Leafs are not selling well, so the price has been cut by $7 to $8K, with a tax refund on top of that?
(Unless one has some cash and was able to put down a monster down payment but if you're like me, one who couldn't put a lot of cash toward the car, then you're possibly stuck with your car and probably will automatically be "upside down" in your car if you wanted to trade in).

I don't find that this behaviour is appropriate and as I said, I feel stuck in my car and I don't like it. Yes, I could keep my car forever and ever but what if that's not an option?

I think Nissan should correct this. I feel that they should offer a continued tax incentive every year to make up for this financial undercut or offer vouchers on toward new cars (Leafs or otherwise).

Any ideas out there? Advice? Thanks for your time and make it great days.

wharpiv

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

Motor swap?!? U have options man - relax, breathe, start finding ways to make that mofo scream... :)

N1sm0L3af
Car: 12 Nissan Leaf

Nissan Has Offered a $1000 Additional rebate for all 2011 and 2012 Nissan Leaf Owners/Leasees. SHould be in your email March "your leaf Support" email newsletter. If you bring it in and purchase or lease a NEW nissan then you receive the $1000 PLUS all applicable Rebates! Hope this helps!

N1sm0L3af
Car: 12 Nissan Leaf

BTW they are running this through December 2014!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

wharpiv wrote:I think Nissan should correct this. I feel that they should offer a continued tax incentive every year to make up for this financial undercut or offer vouchers on toward new cars (Leafs or otherwise).
Welcome aboard.

While I'm as critical of Nissan as anyone, I wholeheartedly disagree with this sentiment.

Tax incentives are paid for by the rest of us. There's no way anyone should subsidize your ownership of a $30K car. You're reaping the benefits of the fuel savings, but as I've said many times before, it's false economy.

ALL cars depreciate, and ALL gars' fuel economy gets worse as the years progress.

When you bought the car, it was, in your mind, worth the money. Nothing has changed. So, other people are getting a new Leaf for less money - that doesn't change your situation. It's an artificial distraction, and doesn't apply to you.

The true "money saver" is buying a $4000 Corolla (with cash), getting 45mpg, and driving it until it no longer moves (then donating it for the tax credit).
wharpiv wrote:I feel stuck in my car and I don't like it.
I hear this a lot. So, let's look at it.

What changed between the time you signed the papers and drove your new car home, all smiles and happiness, and now? What's different?

When you purchase a car, unless you have the wherewithal to get a new one every year (which is a sure route to the poorhouse), you know it's a long-term commitment.

I hear this from people who bailed on their house when the housing market crashed. You paid $300K for a new house, and you felt like that was a good deal - You were happy, and excited to close the deal and get the keys. Then the market crashed, and someone, somewhere, said your house is only worth $200K. NOW, all of a sudden, you don't like the house anymore, and start looking for someone to blame - Oh, it must be the BANK'S fault! They tricked me! Then, you decide, "I'm not going to make the payments anymore - I shouldn't have to." Great. Now, you've screwed the bank, your neighbors, your community, and the US economy - JUST because someone says your house is worth a different number than what you paid for it. This aggravates me no end.

Not saying this is your situation, but let's keep things in perspective. Instead of blaming Nissan, let's look at why you've lost 8 miles of range (God forbid). Check your tire pressures. :)

Return to “Leaf Forum”