Nissan extended warranty

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
jmagill

I am the pround owner of a new, Onxy Blue 1.8S 6 speed with the power package.

Did others get the extended warranty? What did you pay? Do you recomend it?

Jill

Paula
Car: 2007 Versa SL w/convience pkg

I wasn't even offered the extended warranty - and wouldn't have gotten if I had been. As a matter of fact, I had to sign a paper that said it WAS offered and I declined it.

If the car ain't gonna last, with no major issues, any longer than 3/36 then we all need to be looking at other cars !!!

Paula

bobcat75662
Car: 2007 versa

I got the extended warranty, paid 1200.00 for it. Did this because the last vehicle I owned, which also had the extended warranty, had severe transmission problems at exactly 74998 miles. The warranty was good to 75000 miles. The warranty was extended, via the phone, to cover the trip to the dealership for repairs. I ended up needing a new transmission. Imagine the cost for the repair had I not had the extended coverage. But to each our own. I prefer to have my vehicle under warranty for as long as I am making payments.

jmagill

I was quoted 1000.00. We are seriously considering it. This will be a car we keep for a long time.

We have a 93 Sierra truck that just went of the warranty and has some problems. We regret not getting the extended warranty now.

Jill

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

jmagill wrote:I was quoted 1000.00. We are seriously considering it. This will be a car we keep for a long time.

We have a 93 Sierra truck that just went of the warranty and has some problems. We regret not getting the extended warranty now.
Service contracts are a way to assure yourself of a specified amount of useful life from a given item. If it is worth the $$ to you, and you want a guarantee that your car will last through X miles, then go ahead and get it.

Of course, the best way to make sure your vehicle never has a major failure is to have your vehicle routinely maintenanced.

Some dealerships offer a "included maintenance" type of warranty for a bit more, which includes oil changes, 15/30/45/60/75/90k maintenances and tuneups, and in some cases also brake work. THESE are not worthwhile because although they represent a significant discount from what the dealer would normally charge for these services, use of a competent 3rd party would still be cheaper, even if you don't do your own work. I also noticed that they cost the same on the Versa as they do on vehicles that require their timing belt changed at 60k, so whoever writes up these quotes either forgot or doesn't care that a Versa owner won't have to fork over $500 for that service, because it doesn't have a timing belt.

ducatinova

the $ 1000 is peace of mind to me. Once you have a car that uses a extended warranty you never forget it. I buy them. The car I have now has never need any repairs but the one I had before would have bankrupted me if I had not bought the extended warranty.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

It saved me on my Xterra. The cost was $800. But it saved me $400 for an alternator @58k miles, $700+ for knock sensors at 45k miles & 300+ for a motor mount at 33k miles.

I got it for the Versa just because I plan on keeping the car longer than the Nissan warranty & that peace of mind is nice.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

I was offered the Comprehensive (highest level) 6yr/75K mile warranty for $700.The dealer told me he was offering it to me at his cost, to offset my irritation at a misunderstanding between myself and the saleman over a certain fee.From what you all are posting, it looks like he may be telling the truth about the price, which makes me seriously consider it.However, have any of you looked at the 'fine print' on the last page of the brochure about the extended warranty under "exclusions".This paragraph seems to say that almost anything that is reasonably likely to go wrong between the expiration of the 3yr/36K factory warranty and the end of the extended term is not covered!I have scanned and attached the above mentioned page. See for yourself. What do you think? Is it still worth it?

Return to “Versa General Chat”