Nissan Connect System Randomly Reboots on New 2018 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

So I've had my new 2018 Rogue for about 3 weeks now and randomly the Infotainment Center will reboot while driving. I've had it reboot at least 4 times while driving and 1 morning I got in the car and turned it on and it must have rebooted back to back like 5 times.

I let my dealer know and they have been less then useful in respond (go figure they already have my money). But I have my first free oil change at 3600 miles so I was going to ask them to look at it. Anyone else had this issue on the 2018 models? I figure its a newer system since it has Android Auto/Apple Car Play.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I've moved your topic to the Rogue forum.

Your problem is mot unique, and was first reported with the 2014 model. Take a moment to read through this thread:
I can't handle this crappy radio anymore. (2014)

howie411

Every post in that thread in from 2014 except one. Would have thought in 4 years they would have fixed it. Wasn't sure if it was specific to the Rogue or not which is why I posted it in the Audio section. Guess I'll keep hounding my dealership.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Contact lame a$$ Nissan USA to get the HU under warranty. Its an issue that Nissan knows about but doesn't fix, sorta like telling you its a defect and just directs you to go to the dealer to spend money on overpriced labor.

CBF87

Same exact problem on 2018 Nissan Rogue SL 6 weeks old. Reboots over and over, faster each time. Starts resetting itself (forgets what settings I setup), each reboot causes less and less to work. (Navigation, then radio, eventually screen itself). Leave car powered off for a while, works when you turn it on for about 15 minutes and then the boot loops start. Taking to dealer tomorrow to begin the cat and mouse game.

CBF87

CBF87 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:47 pm
Same exact problem on 2018 Nissan Rogue SL 6 weeks old. Reboots over and over, faster each time. Starts resetting itself (forgets what settings I setup), each reboot causes less and less to work. (Navigation, then radio, eventually screen itself). Leave car powered off for a while, works when you turn it on for about 15 minutes and then the boot loops start. Taking to dealer tomorrow to begin the cat and mouse game.
One trip to dealer done. The used a diagnostic tool to fully reset the radio to factory settings. It's been working since I left without any issues. Fingers crossed.

howie411

I asked my dealership about this today, they said next time I bring it in, they will do a factory reset on the system. To me that sounds like basically your IT person saying let me reboot your computer. Not sure how a factory reset will fix something that shouldn't have been messed up to begin with. This car just rolled out of the factory in July and had 4 miles on it.

CBF87

Hey Howie...it was just as you described. System worked for 2 days (didn't drive it Sunday). This morning, 30 minutes into my 90 minute commute, the dang thing started boot looping again. I've recorded a new video of it, called the Service Manager I worked with on Saturday and told him the issue still exists. He said he would send the videos to Nissan Support.

CBF87

Latest update: I uploaded and shared about 7 videos with my dealer, who shared them with Nissan Support. Nissan wants my radio because what it's doing doesn't make any sense to them. The dealer has ordered me a new radio and expect it in 3 to 5 business days.

mark1coop
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

Although I haven't had the looping problem, I have had various issues from time to time with with 2018 Rogue purchased in April. Once in a while the screen freezes and I can't do anything. Other times I couldn't turn it off. I just realized that holding the power button for a few seconds got me out of my latest freeze (similar to my laptop or desktop computer). One time I think I got into a weird situation when I tried to do things as it was booting up. It really hasn't happened that often and always was fixed the next time I turned my car on. I would say the computers in these cars are not perfect yet.

howie411

CBF87 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:40 am
Latest update: I uploaded and shared about 7 videos with my dealer, who shared them with Nissan Support. Nissan wants my radio because what it's doing doesn't make any sense to them. The dealer has ordered me a new radio and expect it in 3 to 5 business days.

I'm hoping for a software update if they get enough complaints/reports. I'd rather not have someone tearing my whole from dash apart to replace a system on a 2 month old car.

CBF87

Here's an interesting twist. I just hadn't paid attention to it closely until last week. My radio works fine at my house. 30 minutes into my commute is when the boot looping starts, the boot looping erases all the settings and eventually leaves the radio completely dead, usually takes another 20 minutes of constant reboots. What I finally realized was that the boot looping starts at the exact same spot in my commute (within 1000 feet or so). My job takes me East. On my way back home Friday, after seeing Mark1Coop comment about the power button hold, after I came West of where the problem starts, I pressed and held the power button and I'll be danged if the radio came back on and worked. Now, mind you, it was still completely 'Factory Reset' with none of my favorites, phone bluetooth, etc, but I could listen to the radio again without the boot looping. When I took the car to the dealer, I had to go by the same spot, but after that it's all WEST which is why I think it worked from the dealer until we got home, because we took a different route (by the in-laws) home. I made a new video of the radio at the exact moment of failure. I'd love to share this information with Nissan Technical support, rather than 'relaying' it thru the dealer.

howie411

Had another weird issue with my Nissan Connect system. Had Android auto connected,and was listening to the radio. I made a call and when it came back from the phone the volume was like at 100%. The volume knob wouldn't do anything, I literally had to turn off the radio. This is at least the 2nd time this has happened with the radio volume.

Flashfox
Car: 2018 Rogue SL Platinum

Wow ... I thought I was the only one so I checked the forum and now see that I have many others sharing the same "reboot" problem.

Mine is on a 3-month old 2018 Nissan Rogue SL. It started a couple of weeks ago and only occurred about 2-3 times up to now. Everything came back when it restarted but it's definitely NOT normal.

I'll bring this up during my dealership check-up ... and I'll bring a copy of some of these posts.

CBF87

Radio was replaced on Friday 8/24/18. It took them about 2 hours in total. Make sure you check the radio before you leave. I had made it about 1/2 mile before I got to check, it was still in 'FACTORY MODE" and had a message that was something like "This Radio is in Factory Mode, please use the Dealership tools to change modes." ...so I turned around and had to go back. Another 15 minutes later and it was finally working. The Tech came out and talked to me and said that these radios change a little every model year and this one had a few other screen he missed when replacing it.
It's been working since, without issue. The 'geographic' area where my radio started having issues is no longer a problem.
Finally, I didn't have to do anything with my Nissan Connected Services. I wasn't sure if I would. Everything works like before, remote start, lock, unlock, find car, send destination to...etc..they all worked without me having to change anything. If this radio fails, I'll let everyone know...fingers crossed it's fixed for good.

howie411

Any damage, scrapes, scuff marks etc to your dash? Can't imagine it was easy to remove the old one.

On a side note, that tech is horrible if they forgot to take it off factory mode. That means they didn't even test it.

CBF87

No scuffs or scratches. Nothing I added post-market, like the Proclip phone mount, was even moved. As they were squeezing me in a day earlier due to a death in the family, I'm sure that added to his stress of getting me done quickly. Tech was nice guy and was very knowledgeable.

Flashfox

2018 Rogue SL (bought in June) - Mine started to reboot for no apparent reason more frequently then yesterday, I lost all of the preset buttons on the SiriusXM screens. No way to get them back. Sirius XM worked just fine but NO preset buttons appeared on the screen so I could not memorize any channels.

So ... I connected to my WiFi and made one software update to 1.49. Problem still there. Then I made the second update to 1.51 (current). Problem still there. I then decided to perform a factory reset. Guess what? The preset buttons re-appeared :-).

I then had to pair my phone and reconfigure all of the radio (took ~30 minutes, channels, frequencies, preferences, etc.).

Let's see how long this will last.

italianotampa
Car: 2017 Nissan Rouge SV FWD

I apologize if this was covered but how do you factory reset it?

njfire45
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hi - new to the forums... Just purchased 2 weeks ago a 2018 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium/Platinum and have had the system reboot literally hundreds of times. Salesperson saw the issue when I brought it in. Service department apparently did a reboot of the software. Stopped rebooting for two days and started again! Just the other night I was reprogramming all of the radio presets and in a span of 5 minutes the system rebooted 5 times. Any suggestions? Any luck with the dealers/Nissan USA? I'm really frustrated at this point so just wondering if anyone has come across any fixes or official statements/repairs from Nissan. I'm also the original owner of 2011 Rogue which factored into my decision to upgrade to the latest Nissan Rogue. Now I am questioning that decision and am anticipating that this will be a long drawn out battle with Nissan USA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

CBF87

I'm on my 2nd radio now since 8/24/18. No issues with the new radio. On this one, thinking that it was an update issue, I've disabled automatic updates on the radio. It has 1.49 as I recall. I haven't had any issues so far. I documented everything happening on the radio with video on my phone, uploaded to a file sharing service and my service dept sent those to Nissan to look at who determined that I needed a new radio. It only took me 1 initial visit to look at it, about 2 weeks of emails and then another week for the part to come in to get it resolved. On the plus side, you get another 3 months of XM for free...at least I have. Another thing' I've done is print out forum discussions like this to show that the issue isn't isolated to me.

howie411

Got in my Rogue this morning and my whole infotainment system had reset. Lost all my Pre-sets, had to re-pair my phone, android auto and all my screen customization. This system is worse then my MyFordTouch

Flashfox

Same here (2018 SL Platinum)... started rebooting multiple times then all of a sudden it stopped, paused then rebooted and all of my info was gone. Had to reprogram everything.

teeshot
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL

Same issue here. 2018 Rogue SL, purchased 8/27. Started happening 10/27 and went to dealer who confirmed issue. No fix. Created a case with Nissan. Issue was under engineering review. Long story short, found the Nissan Map Update Tool. The vehicle system update found no updates. The Update Tool found 2018/3rd quarter map updates. Updated vehicle per instructions with USB and problem is no longer occurring. Visited dealer and informed them. They had other vehicles with same issue and were going to use my fix. Don't know of there success with other cars, but mine appears cured. Belief it was a NC/SC map update that was installed that had a bug.

Flashfox

teeshot wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:04 am
Same issue here. 2018 Rogue SL, purchased 8/27. Started happening 10/27 and went to dealer who confirmed issue. No fix. Created a case with Nissan. Issue was under engineering review. Long story short, found the Nissan Map Update Tool. The vehicle system update found no updates. The Update Tool found 2018/3rd quarter map updates. Updated vehicle per instructions with USB and problem is no longer occurring. Visited dealer and informed them. They had other vehicles with same issue and were going to use my fix. Don't know of there success with other cars, but mine appears cured. Belief it was a NC/SC map update that was installed that had a bug.
Good info ... I checked and there was a map update available. Performed the update while in my garage via the WiFi connection and now the radio seems stable.

Question - Is it possible that the "Map Update" also includes "patches" to the radio's firmware?

teeshot
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SL

Doubt it. The map updates are furnished by TomTom, one of the largest map database suppliers, not Nissan. I found that using the PC Map Update took with a USB, you'll get quicker updates than you do OTA/Wifi in the vehicle. I'm gonna wait for their quarterly updates now instead of updating individual maps OTA. Next one should be mid Jan 2019.

howie411

Welp, radio was going strong for the last 5 months, got in the Rogue today and the system reboot about 15 times in a row, then wiped every setting I had (except the FM stations). Not happy.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Well, time to either call NISSAN and file for lemon law or get an aftermarket HU.

Act of God
Car: 2016 Rogue SL

Nissan did a firmware upgrade to my 2016 and it's been solid ever since (about a month so far)

aloyr

I am posting this because I was able to fix the repeated radio reboots in the 2018 Nissan Rogue I drive, and this thread is the closest thing I've found to my issue on the web. Maybe this will help the next guy...

The issue in my Rogue had to do with the radio rebooting frequently. Sometimes it wouldnt happen until I started driving, sometimes it would happen right after I turned the car on.

My case was the same as the situation described by @teeshot. I had done an update to the NC/SC map, and after that the reboots begun. It seems that TomTom messed up the stand-alone map update file for at least the NC/SC region. I'm not sure about the other regions.

There is no way to undo that update from the car. There is no point downloading all other updates either... yeah, I tried that too.

The way to fix this is as follows:
- grab a 16GB usb stick or bigger (some 16GB sticks won't work because they are actually 14.2GB and the update you will need is 14.7GB, so I used a 32GB stick)
- plug the usb stick into your Rogue's USB port (the same one used for carplay / android auto), and go to information -> system updates -> map updates -> copy date to usb (or something like that, I'm doing this from memory)
- remove the stick from the Rogue when told to do so and go to your computer
- download Nissan's map update tool for PC or Mac, install it, and launch it
- plug the usb stick into your computer
- navigate to the map update tab that will contain the single consolidated download package (as opposed to the per-region downloads), and download that - this will take you a while
- once that is done, eject the stick from your computer and go to your car
- start the car, do not drive (as that will trigger the reboot issue), and make sure that the radio will not start the reboot cycle while parked. if it does, try to hold down the power button until it shuts down, and restart the car, making sure that the radio won't auto-reboot.
- once the radio is stable while parked, plug in the usb stick and go to the same place in the settings: info -> system updates -> map updates -> install map data from usb stick. this will take a while as well. do not turn your car off nor drive it while this is going on.
- once the process is done, restart your car for good measure, and hopefully your problem will be fixed like mine was.

While inconvenient, this beats arguing with Nissan and having your HU replaced, as there is most likely nothing wrong with it.

Ah, before I forget: to those that said that the map is unrelated to the rest of the unit: this is incorrect. Everything is connected inside the car, and a corrupt map data file can indeed cause the whole system to panic and to end up rebooting in an attempt to fix itself.

I hope this helps the next guy.

-A

Return to “Rogue Forum”