NISSAN BLUEBIRD SYLPHY ENGINE PROBLEM

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
muleimm

Dear all,
I am posting here because I think Nissan Bluebird Sylphy(Japanese) is equivalent to the Sentra. The car Runs on MR20DE engine.
This is my problem,
I swapped the engine(after the one I had had low compression) with another one from the junk yard. However, after fitting the engine, the car had a very bad idling(goes up and down, plus the car has hard start) and when I press the gas pedal, it the Rev goes up and down. I was advised to swap the ECU but the same problem exists. I have also changed the throttle body but the car still behaves the same way. Please help!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Bad idle can the the IACV or more often is a vacuum leak somewhere. Check your vacuum lines all over for leaks and make sure they're connected correctly.

centralcoaster33

Also, check your TPS voltage, timing, and see if your ECU throws any codes. Also, a bad ground or miswiring could be an issue.

muleimm

Thank you for the quick response. What do you think of Rev going up and down when I press the gas pedal at a fixed position(It sounds like I am pressing and releasing the gas pedal simultaneously. The ECU doesnt throw any code!

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

That leads me more to believe there is a large vacuum leak that manifests more when power is applied. Have you checked your intake hoses? I had a buddy whose Mazda would cut out and act just as you described and his intake clamp had worked itself loose and was allowing in unmetered air (and letting out metered air at boost).

muleimm

Well, I just got some other engine from the Junk yard seller. They were willing to exchange until I am satisfied. The car idling is good, but still the problem of the cutting out when I press the gas pedal(Behaves as if I am pressing and releasing the gas pedal simultaneous when am in fact holding the gas pedal at a fixed position). I changed everything from the throttle body(including the intake manifold). Could this be anything related to MAF, Accelerator pedal position or any other sensor? I am trying to figure it out

centralcoaster33

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? That's the number one culprit. You want to be sure.

Otherwise, yeah, other components can cause it and you might get a CEL so you'll have a code for it. If not, I think MAF can cause it, but you'd want to diagnose with a voltmeter to check wiring voltage, ground and continuity.

What year engine and what year ECU are you using? Is it in a stock configuration or have you bypassed some things?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Are we now saying this is third engine in car? if rpm problem was not on first original engine then look at the work done there, likely something broken or wrong.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”