Nissan Bluebird/Altima 1995 SSS KA24DE Engine Issue's

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
CassJDMGirl
Car: Nissan Bluebird 1995 SSS

Hi all,

My name is Cassie, I recently bought a Nissan Bluebird 1995 SSS (AKA: Altima) and it has 218,000 KM - KA24DE Motor

It was running real nice when I bought it (3 weeks ago) - and haven't really driven it since. I went to start it up and now the engine light has come on
The car was also had an unusual idle.

I went to check the engine, and noticed both radiator, and thermo fan were on. So I thought that was quite unusual as the car needs to get warm and not cool down on start up...
I took it for a test drive for around 3 minutes around the block (car was still at normal running temperature). I stepped on the pedal and literally did not perform it's best. It felt sluggish on accerlation, with slight "hiccups" along the way, as if it were over fuelling. Also the fuel meter was dropping down quite quickly for a short drive ! I then went to stop in home, hopped out and both fans were still on..
I also noticed the revs were very irregular, dropping then upping back to revs consistently. I also noticed the sound coming from the exhaust, quite loud and inconsistent sound. It smelt quite bad, similar to fuel and coolant... Also had mild white smoke coming out.

I know the whole distributor looks like it may need replacing (leaking oil).. but surely would not cause the white smoke or both the radiator and thermo fan to be on..

I pray to whomever it is up there that this isn't a head gasket but it sure seems it..
Could anyone give me any direction or may know exactly the problem?

Thank you.

gleamingsands
Car: 1995 Nissan Altima GLE

Not sure, but highlights make it difficult for others to read the post who may be able to help you. Try a darker color. Good luck!

Gambit X
Car: 93 altima se

the white smoke is usually an indication that coolant is getting into the combustion chamber. which unfortunately sounds like head gasket. keep track of your coolant level and if it's dropping, check for any external leaks. if none are found, try a coolant pressure tester and there is still no external leaks and the gauge for the test kit is showing that the pressure is dropping, then it's really starting to sound like a head gasket. check your oil as well. if it looks anything like diarrhea or chocolate milk, then the coolant has mixed with the oil. and that means the motor is practically screwed. i really hope it is not the latter of these but just be prepared just in case. granted i can't personally see it so my opinion can only go as far as this forum. but i hope this helps. good luck.

CassJDMGirl

Hi thank you. It's been going great since.. but I am still very curious to why it just randomly happened. It hasn't done it any other time at all.. The oil is a decent colour.. I have been checking regularly but nothing suspicious. Coolant is pretty full.. I will just need to check my over flow too and mark it so I don't lose track.
Its pretty smooth the engine oil, no sign of milkiness at all. It's a light brown colour. Thin oil kind of thing. My cars exhaust does sound like it putters here and there, but only when you listen up close.. Plus it has a clacking sound in the motor.. I was told it was the timing chain bracket.. so I don't know if maybe has anything to do with that.. Such a mystery !!! :ohno:

Gambit X

lol i know exactly what you mean. my car ran like str8 s*** for a while and then one day, it acted like it never had anything wrong with it and has been fine since. but yeah, i'd just keep track of your fluid levels and as for the exhaust, just sounds like a leak. just have to get under it with a flashlight to look and feel around. just don't touch the pipe lolz. as for the clacking in the motor, it's more than likely one of the timing chain guides. it poses no problems and if you want, nissan has labeled that the top timing chain guide serves no real purpose and can be taken out. i'm going to be doing that to mine soon so i don't have to hear the noise.

CassJDMGirl

Haha bloody Nissan!! I'll definitely keep an eye out! Thank you so much for the reply.. Really hope it isn't the head gasket !! :ohno:

Gambit X

lolz no problem just glad to help. and for your sake, i hope it's not either lol.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”