Nissan and it's future...

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
BamaCoupe
Car: 2011 G37 Coupe

I don't know why the average car consumer would give a crap about a CEO going to jail or not with Carlos Ghosn would determine their next car purchase but apparently it does. My uncle that retired back in July told me two years ago it was a load of... and he's being framed is looking more and more like a Nissan prophet to me. My biggest complaint and why I didn't want to put my wife in a Nissan was because of the CVT but as we all know they're going away which is good news.

As for its lineup; I'm not your average consumer, I HATE (HATE is not really strong enough) truck's and SUV's so I'm probably not the best to hire for market development research for any auto manufacturer. I agree with Doug DeMuro if you watch him on youtube, "There's no room in this current market for two coupes" and Nissan has as he says two but I say three. Nissan with the future Fairlady Z, 400Z or Z Proto whatever you want to call it appears is getting the nod. It's the best choice globally but I'll get to the Z later.

Q60 isn't available anywhere but here, it's not a JDM Skyline anymore and honestly per looks of the "G's" they've gotten worse per each generations. G35 Coupe was a beautiful car, G37 (which is what I drive now) was great to beautiful looking till the Vert came out and ruined that whole dang gen in all forms. The new Q60 looks the worse of the three generations and if I were in the market for a new car I'd go for an RC any day over a Q60. There's no Genesis coupe anymore, I'm done with Break My Wallet cars (BMW), Honda/Acura isn't offering a third option unless you're willing to pay $160K and I could care less what the American's produce with there throw away cars. The G has gotten better each gen in the interior and worse with the exterior. With the Q60 sales no way it makes it to a forth generation. I'm calling this the coupe that goes away that Doug wasn't talking about unless Nissan isn't worried about volume as much with Infiniti but the next gen has GOT to get A LOT more eye catching. Say it with me "a lot less chrome, chrome is bad!" You lessening Honda?

The GTR... incredible car! The looks has grown on me in the last thirteen years or so it's been out but when it came out I wanted to drive one but could care less to own it. It's the ugly duckling that defies physics, engineering or whatever... It's weighs more, it has less horsepower yet it'll blow the doors off anything costing three times it's price. I love the concepts I've seen for a new generation for this car, much better in looks than we have now but as bad as it pains me to say it's gone too.

Where Nissan needs to go, I doubt Nissan gives a crap about my opinions but Nissan/Renault is #2 in EV's and they have dealerships unlike the #1 EV A-hole Elon Musk (if you work at NASA like me you'd call him worse than an A-hole but as a christian I don't have it in me) has with Telsa... Take number, uno #1! I'd keep the leaf for those vegetarian/vegan/gay types that "want to save the planet." Merge the Leaf/Versa nameplate and make it EV. Next I'd appease the average American that apparently doesn't give two craps about style and just want MORE ROOM, BIGGER VEHICLE TO MAKE MORE ROOM FOR MORE CRAP with Truck's and SUV's(why else would you want an SUV other than to have more "room" than you really need) I'd electify two of the three Frontier, Murano or Pathfinder. If those are success I'd go back to the GTR and build an EV faster than anything Tesla, Germany or Italy has ever built. That in the future is where I see a future GTR. Nissan Needs to get back to it roots a bit (how often do you hear that?). The CVT is gone so with your gas engine cars invest in dual clutch auto's, offer manuals in must models, up reliability like it used to be (you're not Ford or GM and can't get away with five year throw away cars like they can, considering mileage I consider Lincoln, Corvette, Cadillac or any American's best cars a five year throw away car), also with each generation quit making each one bigger and bigger. I started driving in the mid 90's, there was a huge difference in size of cars between a 1995 Maxima and a Buick Skylark... That's one of many reasons why I'd pick JDM over American land yacht's.

The New Z car, I hope they go with "Fairlady Z" namesake. WWII Vets are dead by now to get offended by the name. It's not like Chevy trying to sale a car named Little Boy and Fat Man in Nagasaki and Hiroshima. My Grandfather who fought in the Pacific Theater has been dead for third-five years. The ones that are still alive are not your future clientele... I am your future clientele. As your future clientele I'd like to say I'm SICK OF NOSTALGIA. The 240Z was a great looking car way before my time by twenty-five years (before I was driving) and it was by FAAAAARRRRRREEEEEE not the best looking Z car. It was FIFTY YEARS AGO. If you want to appease my generation and you current market for a Z nostalgia the Z32 which was by light years the best looking car to ever come out of Japan would be a great template. The 370z is the only Z car close to the beauty (Exterior, not even close on the interior) of the Z32. Do what Toyota did on how they Evolved the looks of the Mark IV, yes it's really a Break My Wallet internally but I'm talking about the exterior design here. Even if I was a ford or chevy guy... I'm sick of "nostalgia." At this point I'll buy a Z32 for $10K and put $30K into it or keep my G and put $40K and get better results.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Wowzers...that was a long read.

In regards to your point about people not wanting to by a Nissan/Infiniti due to the whole Carlos thing, I can attest to that.
When my wife and I started looking at putting her into something new(er), she mentioned Subaru, Toyota or Honda. I asked about Nissan and she said, "No."
When I asked why, she stated, "Because of Carlos Ghosn."

It took me a while to get her to realize that whatever he may or may not have done has no real reflection on the car itself.

While I do like some SUVs and trucks, the newer years (post 2000) just don't really do it for me.
My dad has an 07 Armada and I love driving it, but the looks overall don't really make me say, "That is a beautiful truck."

I had a 1994 S-10 Blazer, the last year for the square body mini-SUV, and I LOVED it!!
Slower than all get out but it was a great truck, power driver's seat, push button 4WD, plenty of space for my just started family and I never got stuck in mud or snow with it.
Then again, I really never tried to get it stuck, either.

We all have our opinions and I respect yours and am not trying to change them, just keeping an interesting topic and conversation going.

I am waiting to see what Nissan will ultimately bring to the table with the new Z. I just hope they do the nameplate justice and continue the evolution of an awesome 2 seater but still keep it affordable...because that was the true nature of the S30.

BamaCoupe
Car: 2011 G37 Coupe

I very much regret typing a lot of what I did, I should have kept it a lot more polite. I was a bit late (by two months) in seeing the upcoming Z and to be honest it had me very irked. I'm sorry if anything I posted upsets anyone, I know people out there love there trucks and SUV's and I have a brother that's one of them. I guess due to my irritation I just offloaded my mind, again I'm sorry for that.

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

BamaCoupe, Your points ain't wrong at all. We all have our own experiences and opinions, and we should be free to express them regardless. Here is my experience and my opinion on Nissan:

I really convinced my parents not to buy anymore new Nissan products, if anything I would buy a pre-2000s era Nissan. We actually went with a complete year without buying a car (2020). Carlos Ghozn was just a small reason that we stopped buying Nissan products, but its just how much douche baggery I had to deal with in the Nissan Customer area (stealerships, corporate, etc.). Sure, my mom likes that everything is being bundled for the cheap, but then, I am the one that services our family vehicle fleet (my dad is super busy these days now than before with work), and it exposes its flaws. Our latest Nissan was literally the last straw with Nissan for me unless corporate addressed these issues on the new vehicles, as it almost killed me and my young brother on I-4 West (I told my brother he will be getting something better than our horrible and god awful 2019 Rogue, as I am still waiting for the chance to sell it).

I might be a Nissan hater, however, it is shown here that I am one, but show me new products that doesn't suck and then I'll change my mind. Quality, or lack of, has dropped within 3 model years (it should have gone up over those 3 years, not down). What I see, Nissan is literally turning away its clientele to other brands, such as Honda and Toyota. There are so many reasons to get the competition over the current crop (near garbage) lineup of Nissan's offerings (except the Armada and Leaf). What really sealed the already closed book, is that Nissan doesn't stand by their warranty at all. I had to go to multiple dealerships to see if they can fix these electrical gremlins, but nah, they said **** off, even with my concerns that quality dropped or to even see if there is any software update. Honda on the other hand, took care of me and my concerns. Hell, Geico even took care of us and fixed our FEB system, whereas Nissan didn't.

Next is EV. I have to spend $80k just for 500+ mile Range of pure electric, and that's the Tesla Cybertruck. And now with the new F-150 Hybrid that came out, I am second guessing myself. If Nissan would give the Titan an EV option or a hybrid option, and better range than the Tri-Motor CT and costs less and a higher tow rating, I would happily get another Nissan product, as we tend to stay within Asian brands. Same thing applies to Armada. If we are talking MPGs, the Pathfinder nor Murano nor Rogue wins (although, the Rogue proved a point that the Prius should no longer exist). Bigger vehicle + V6 (if offerred) + CVT makes about the same as the Pilot and CRV, definitely worse than the Rav4 and Highlander.

I really hope the new Z doesn't look as hideous as the prototype, but as the design cue of Nissan and others as of late, it probably is going to be like that. I'd honestly suggest them to stop it with the CVT garbage, as it turned me off to even get any vehicle that offers it, and actually hit all departments instead of making each department be either a hit or miss. It's literally Nissan that gave a bad taste and rep for CVT, that now, I personally stopped looking at Lexus & Toyotas with their hybrid systems, Hondas with their crappy small displacement with a turbo slapped to it and CVT, etc. There is literally NO point of having a CVT these days other than an eCVT for hybrids and full blown EV vehicles. We got 10 speed autos now, that result in basically about the same or similar MPGs in both City and HWY. But then, we are just a small bunch of owners that Nissan will not listen to either way.

Return to “General Chat”