Nissan Advance Technology Briefing - ECOPedal, Smart Headlights, etc

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

ECOPedal Fuel Saving Technology

Makes you wonder why nobody thought of this before:

From Nissan Global:http://www.nissan-global.com/E....htmlQuote »WORLD FIRST ECO PEDAL HELPS REDUCE FUEL CONSUMPTION- Nissan ECO Pedal system to be commercialized by 2009 -

TOKYO (August 4, 2008) -- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., today unveiled the ECO Pedal – a world first technology – designed to assist drivers to become more fuel-efficient. When the eco-pedal system is on, each time the driver steps on the accelarator, a counter push-back control mechanism is activated if the system detects excess pressure, helping to inform the driver that they could be using more fuel than required. An eco-driving indicator integrated into the instrument panel feeds the driver with real-time fuel consumption levels to help improve his/her driving behavior. The ECO Pedal system can be turned on or off according to the driver’s preference.

Nissan plans to commercialize the ECO Pedal during 2009. Research conducted by Nissan has shown that by using the ECO Pedal drive system, drivers can improve fuel efficiency by 5-10%*1, depending on driving conditions.ECO Pedal Meter

The ECO Pedal system is fed data on the rate of fuel consumption and transmission efficiency during acceleration and cruising, and then calculates the optimum acceleration rate. When the driver exerts excess pressure on the accelerator, the system counteracts with the pedal push-back control mechanism.

At the same time, the eco-driving indicator incorporated on the instrument panel indicates the optimal level for fuel-efficient driving. Driving within the optimal fuel consumption range, the indicator is green. It begins to flash when it detects increased acceleration before reaching the fuel consumption threshold and finally turns amber to advise the driver of their driving behavior.

In order to achieve reduction in CO2 emissions, Nissan takes a “triple-layer” solution that encompasses vehicle technologies, driving behavior and traffic conditions. The ECO Pedal supports the second-layer addressing driving behavior and is among a range of eco-friendly technologies being pursued under the Nissan Green Program 2010. The company’s environmental roadmap aims at developing new technologies, products and services that can lead to real-world reductions in vehicle CO2 emissions, cleaner emissions, and recycling of resources.

[/quote]Smart Auto Headlights

Nissan has improved the auto-headlight system found on some models. Improvements to the logic prevent false triggering while driving in shady locations ie. Under trees, beside buildings. A new feature has been added: The headlights turn on whenever the wipers are activated for improved visibility. Kinda redundant in Canada as we already have daytime running lights.

http://press.nissan-global.com...e.pdf

I am still miffed they didn't provide this feature on the Rogue as I loved it in the Altima.

GPS Mobile ITS for Pedestrian Safety

Seems to be a GPS based system that indicates upcoming or active pedestrian crosswalk signals.

Around View Monitor with Parking Guide

Parking guide has been added to the Around View Monitor system (As seen on Infiniti vehicles). It's not like Lexus' 'Park Assist' system which actually steers the car. Nissan's system just displays lines showing the correct path the driver should take. He/she still has to do the driving.

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

philipa_240sx wrote:ECOPedal Fuel Saving Technology

Makes you wonder why nobody thought of this before:
Already saw this kind of feature on european models (small cars) a while ago, but it was not so sophisticated.

It was on a friend's car so I don't remember the brand, but it was just another gauge with a green area, a yellow one and a red one. Depending on your acceleration, it was showing you if you were in the optimum zone or not. Since, we were young at that time, let me tell you we were not often in the green zone .But there was no pedal feedback as it seems to have now.I don't like that much this idea though.We got it on my dad's car, Renault Laguna (strange ) with the speed limit control.The way it worked is you set your speed and then you could then sleep on the pedal (= put more pressure it won't move). You released some pressure, you slowed down, but you could not go back where you were, you had to reset the control, and if you wanted to accelerate fast, you had to crush the pedal or released a bit and crush it.It was really bad engineering for real life behaviour, I hated this thing and never use it (my dad neither). It was removed on later models, I think.
philipa_240sx wrote:Around View Monitor with Parking Guide

Parking guide has been added to the Around View Monitor system (As seen on Infiniti vehicles). It's not like Lexus' 'Park Assist' system which actually steers the car. Nissan's system just displays lines showing the correct path the driver should take. He/she still has to do the driving.

That would be a fun feature, I always liked the ad on that on tv.The problem is you need a screen to display that, so they will need to redesign the interior so I am not sure we will see that on the Rogue soon.

roguetoad
Car: 08 SL AWD

The pressure feedback is a very good idea as anything in the way of a visual readout that forces the driver to take eyes off traffic is a safety hazard...especially given the amount of drivers today who talk on phones, eat, have the dog in their lap, shave, apply makeup, etc. while driving, everything but focus on the road.

Pescakl1

May be you should try it before saying it is a nice improvement

Believe me, if it is close to the Renault system, not a lot of people will like it and won't use this feature.If you need power right away to avoid an accident (too optimistic in overtaking another car), you don't want to be slowed down in your manoeuvre by an electronic box.

BTW, usually, human seeing sight is large enough to see a blinking light on the dash without having to look down. It should not be a safety problem.

Renault is not that good with these types of electronic boxes (cruise control, speed limit, etc...), and there were some accidents in Europe which may have been caused by their systems. Just hope that this system is designed by Nissan american engineers, they know more about cruise control than european ones.

philipa_240sx

Pescakl1 wrote:Just hope that this system is designed by Nissan american engineers, they know more about cruise control than european ones.
Nope, all these systems were designed by Nissan engineers in Japan. The event was held at Nissan's proving ground in Oppama, Japan.

The ECOPedal system described would not 'hold you back'. Just add resistance to the pedal. You can still go faster by pushing a bit harder.

Pescakl1

That is the delay which worries me, the time the system will take to understand "Ok, you want more power, here it is".

This delay may be the difference between a hot situation and an accident.

Anyway, we will see. Good thing they incorporate something to educate people to save some gas (they need it urgently here, everybody is doing the 1/4 mile around here at the lights... to stop at the next one and do it again ).

Return to “Rogue Forum”