Nissan 300zx good first car?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Ghostveene
Car: Nissan 300zx

Nissan 300zx good first car?

Postby Ghostveene » Mon May 08, 2017 6:27 am

I'm wondering I'm currently 17 want to get a car in a couple of months. My dad before I was even born used to have a z31 and after when I was about 6-8 he had a another 300zx z32 this time. So I'm quite familiar with the car and have always like it. I'm thinking about getting one since they aren't very expensive and some are actually very low mileage and are in good shape. Would you recommend and if so what problems are very likely with the car. I know some but not all.

P.S. I am a good driver and very responsible wouldn't be doing reckless things with something so powerful and beautiful.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Re: Nissan 300zx good first car?

Postby NolimitZ32 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:13 am

these cars, even low mileage well kept examples require a lot of attention and though they may be relatively inexpensive to buy they require a good bit of pricey maintenance because quality parts must be used. If you can afford to have the car be down for days or sometimes weeks at a time while you wait for parts to come in or diagnose problems then it can be a great car (I got my first Z32 when I was 19), buit if you need something reliable and cheap I would recommend you get into as new as possible civic or corolla and start saving for a second car (the Z32).

brian300zx
Car: 1990 300zx TT

Postby brian300zx » Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 am

I am 17 as well and picked up my z32 N/A a couple months ago and so far has been super reliable as a daily. I don't drive far often but holds up very well even on semi long trips. The engine was rebuilt when I bought it so that could be a factor in its reliability. But so far I've been trying to replace and fix the little problems it has. Of course I am not as knowledgeable as nolimit and decaff who are always a big help on this forum but so far my Z has been good to me.

Ghostveene

Postby Ghostveene » Mon May 08, 2017 11:14 am

NolimitZ32 wrote:these cars, even low mileage well kept examples require a lot of attention and though they may be relatively inexpensive to buy they require a good bit of pricey maintenance because quality parts must be used. If you can afford to have the car be down for days or sometimes weeks at a time while you wait for parts to come in or diagnose problems then it can be a great car (I got my first Z32 when I was 19), buit if you need something reliable and cheap I would recommend you get into as new as possible civic or corolla and start saving for a second car (the Z32).
Yeah I knew the parts were expensive thanks for the info I'll definitely take that into consideration. If I had the extra money to put into the car like i would say about 5 grand extra would it be enough or would i possibly need more l?
Last edited by Ghostveene on Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghostveene

Postby Ghostveene » Mon May 08, 2017 11:16 am

brian300zx wrote:I am 17 as well and picked up my z32 N/A a couple months ago and so far has been super reliable as a daily. I don't drive far often but holds up very well even on semi long trips. The engine was rebuilt when I bought it so that could be a factor in its reliability. But so far I've been trying to replace and fix the little problems it has. Of course I am not as knowledgeable as nolimit and decaff who are always a big help on this forum but so far my Z has been good to me.
That's awesome what conditions was it in besides the rebuilt engine and what year is the z32 from?

NolimitZ32

Postby NolimitZ32 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:38 am

I think you could have a very reliable NA if you bought one in decent shape for say around $4-6k and threw another carefully spent $3-4k at it. THis is one of those cars no doubt that you have to love or you won't last long with it. Since for $10k off the bat you could get so many much newer cars.

Ghostveene

Postby Ghostveene » Mon May 08, 2017 11:42 am

NolimitZ32 wrote:I think you could have a very reliable NA if you bought one in decent shape for say around $4-6k and threw another carefully spent $3-4k at it. THis is one of those cars no doubt that you have to love or you won't last long with it. Since for $10k off the bat you could get so many much newer cars.

Yeah of course we'll the car I would be getting would be for around 2.5k. I'd probably try and make clean it up repair any parts necessary so it can run great especially since I really love this car and would definitely have more fun with it than a brand new car that cost around the same. I also have a mechanic friend who wouldn't mind working on it with me.

Ghostveene

Postby Ghostveene » Mon May 08, 2017 11:43 am

NolimitZ32 wrote:I think you could have a very reliable NA if you bought one in decent shape for say around $4-6k and threw another carefully spent $3-4k at it. THis is one of those cars no doubt that you have to love or you won't last long with it. Since for $10k off the bat you could get so many much newer cars.

Yeah of course well the car I would be getting would be for around 2.5k. This is because they are really cheap in the area which kind of alarms me because most of the time it means that there is something wrong with it l. I'd probably try and make clean it up repair any parts necessary so it can run great especially since I really love this car and would definitely have more fun with it than a brand new car that cost around the same. I also have a mechanic friend who wouldn't mind working on it with me.

brian300zx
Car: 1990 300zx TT

Postby brian300zx » Mon May 08, 2017 12:28 pm

The car is a 1990 was and is in decent conditions just have had to replace things that usually go out in these cars as I have read in these forums. When I got mine all it really needed was new power steering fluid and basic tune up. Interior is in great condition considering the year all it has is a tear in the driver seat which is expected over time. Along my ownership I have been getting new connecters and such which are what haunt these cars. If you end up getting one this forum will definitely help you as much as it continues to help me. As I have learned so far these cars require a lot of patience and love. But I guarantee if you do all the work on it, as I have, you will fall in love with a z32 its a learning process that comes with it and my experience thus far has been amazing.

Ghostveene

Postby Ghostveene » Mon May 08, 2017 12:53 pm

brian300zx wrote:The car is a 1990 was and is in decent conditions just have had to replace things that usually go out in these cars as I have read in these forums. When I got mine all it really needed was new power steering fluid and basic tune up. Interior is in great condition considering the year all it has is a tear in the driver seat which is expected over time. Along my ownership I have been getting new connecters and such which are what haunt these cars. If you end up getting one this forum will definitely help you as much as it continues to help me. As I have learned so far these cars require a lot of patience and love. But I guarantee if you do all the work on it, as I have, you will fall in love with a z32 its a learning process that comes with it and my experience thus far has been amazing.
That's great man I love it.

NolimitZ32

Postby NolimitZ32 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:14 pm

I am by no means saying that you shouldn't do it, what I am saying is that it is not something I would recommend for most, if you have the passion for the car and can handle doing your own work, learning along the way and constantly dropping money on it like she's a Kardashian then by all means go for it. Kanye wasn't looking for a gold digger but look where he ended up and he seems happy.

Ghostveene

Postby Ghostveene » Mon May 08, 2017 3:12 pm

NolimitZ32 wrote:I am by no means saying that you shouldn't do it, what I am saying is that it is not something I would recommend for most, if you have the passion for the car and can handle doing your own work, learning along the way and constantly dropping money on it like she's a Kardashian then by all means go for it. Kanye wasn't looking for a gold digger but look where he ended up and he seems happy.
Nice response lol. Oh and I know you weren't saying no you were just advising that it isn't an easy car and one that takes work and I completely understand thank you. I don't really know what I'll do but this is certainly good advice.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Postby DCaff300ZX » Mon May 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Definitely take your time- something I do with something I really want is back off completely for at least a week and usually a month, then revisit the idea and see if I am still so hot. If so, then it's time for serious studies on hidden costs, availability, and durability.
As you've gathered from NoLimit the Z32 can be a hassle and really mostly is, but can be a worthy hassle and really satisfying when/if the car gets where you want it. As NoLimit suggests a $4-5K NA with another $3-4K carefully spent can be a great car for years, but a lesser car means more maintenance monies spent to just get to ready to modify- I'd guess that a $2.5-3K NA would take that $4-5 K just to get back to 100% snuff...mine ate about $3K and a LOT of my time. That COULD include some upgrades such as brakes and tires and some minor boltons such as intake, but the grunt of costs are the 120K service and injector service on pre-'94's...and brakes on '90's. Then, there's corrosion of the electrical connectors...read up on that.
LOVE the Kardashian comp...VERY realistic.
Definitely doable, but not the easiest path by any means.

Ghostveene

Postby Ghostveene » Tue May 09, 2017 3:03 am

DCaff300ZX wrote:Definitely take your time- something I do with something I really want is back off completely for at least a week and usually a month, then revisit the idea and see if I am still so hot. If so, then it's time for serious studies on hidden costs, availability, and durability.
As you've gathered from NoLimit the Z32 can be a hassle and really mostly is, but can be a worthy hassle and really satisfying when/if the car gets where you want it. As NoLimit suggests a $4-5K NA with another $3-4K carefully spent can be a great car for years, but a lesser car means more maintenance monies spent to just get to ready to modify- I'd guess that a $2.5-3K NA would take that $4-5 K just to get back to 100% snuff...mine ate about $3K and a LOT of my time. That COULD include some upgrades such as brakes and tires and some minor boltons such as intake, but the grunt of costs are the 120K service and injector service on pre-'94's...and brakes on '90's. Then, there's corrosion of the electrical connectors...read up on that.
LOVE the Kardashian comp...VERY realistic.
Definitely doable, but not the easiest path by any means.

Yep great car hard to deal with.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Postby LIBRILZ » Sun May 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Honestly I recommend buying one in great shape with the majority of the work already done, that way you'll be wrenching on it less and driving it more. Cause if you buy it for 2-3k it'll need another 3-4k easily. not to mention the amount of time put into working on it

Rockbri
Car: Nissan Qashqai

Postby Rockbri » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:33 am

Nissan 300zx is a great car, but I don't think it is a car for a beginner driver. First of all, you'll have to spend a lot of money on its details, which are not cheap at all, even the car is not expensive by itself, its maintenance will be for sure. Then, why don't you take a used Toyota or Honda, I don't think you'll have any problems with these cars. In fact, you can buy a new car, even if you don't have the entire sum of money, there are a lot of websites like *REDACTED* where you can make a car finance agreement, that will help you buy any car you want, for less money than usual.
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: EDITED

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

Postby MikeRL411 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:44 am

NO! Because inevitably you will wreck or be wrecked in your first car. Start off with a low maintenance first car and then when you survive the first 4 or 5 years get your dream car.

Rogue One
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Postby Rogue One » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:56 am

:facepalm:

Four year old thread. And that's also how long the OP has been off the forum. Kinda pointless to offer him buying advice now.

Topic closed.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”