Nissan 300ZX Automatic?

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
Vodnik

Found an 85 300zx near me for sale for dirt cheap but its an auto wasnt sure if anyone knew how the auto transmissions were on these cars?

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Just like any other car, if it has been properly maintained than it'll be good, if it hasn't than you may need a new one soon.

Vodnik

Would doing a 1jz or 2jz swap be difficult? Is doing the swap more difficult if it's automatic?

NolimitZ32

Please don't take offense to this but if you have to ask that question than you are not capable, at least right now to perform that type of work. Any non-native swap requires a lot of fab work both structural and electrical. Also seeing as you are asking a question about a Z31 not a Z32, your thread may be more at home in the Z31 section, I'm moving it there.

Vodnik

NolimitZ32 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:20 pm
Please don't take offense to this but if you have to ask that question than you are not capable, at least right now to perform that type of work. Any non-native swap requires a lot of fab work both structural and electrical. Also seeing as you are asking a question about a Z31 not a Z32, your thread may be more at home in the Z31 section, I'm moving it there.

My apologies thought I picked the right forum.
Also apologies again I misworeded my question. I meant more along the lines of is the swap more difficult as an auto to auto than it is as a manual to manual

NolimitZ32

No worries on both accounts, thanks for being a good sport. As for the question, a manual into an auto car is made more difficult by the fact that you have to install the clutch pedal, master, slave, lines, and likely do some wiring for the clutch safety switch. Other than that with a non-native swap its all not easy.

Vodnik

NolimitZ32 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 pm
No worries on both accounts, thanks for being a good sport. As for the question, a manual into an auto car is made more difficult by the fact that you have to install the clutch pedal, master, slave, lines, and likely do some wiring for the clutch safety switch. Other than that with a non-native swap its all not easy.
So if I stay stock with the auto engine and trans in this potential buy. What are my tuning options if any? I know Hondas are fairly limited when it comes to tuning automatics wasnt sure if nissan was the same way

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Anything you can do to a manual you can do to an auto, or you can swap to a manual, just like a honda. There is pretty much no aftermarket for these cars so not much off the shelf. A turbo swap is the best bang for the buck, and once you have the turbo it's easy to make a lot of power. It is not a beginners project, all the information is out there, do a search in this forums I know I've covered what it takes a few times.

Vodnik

evildky wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:11 pm
Anything you can do to a manual you can do to an auto, or you can swap to a manual, just like a honda. There is pretty much no aftermarket for these cars so not much off the shelf. A turbo swap is the best bang for the buck, and once you have the turbo it's easy to make a lot of power. It is not a beginners project, all the information is out there, do a search in this forums I know I've covered what it takes a few times.
Thanks wasn't looking for like in depth explanations just general over view and to know if this would be a good deal to buy with it being an auto. I was on a Honda forum and was lead to believe tuning options were limited to non existent for auto crx. Wanted to know if it was the same here (being as they were around the same year car 85-90). Appreciate the feedback

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

The auto trans in the honda isn't as strong as the one in the Z31. In either case a manual trans swap is an option. Also in either case all the same mods work the same way. You do get some bone heads that think an uprated clutch and short throw shifter are performance mods, obviously not an option on an automatic. In the drag racing works it's pretty much all automatic's. If you can't drive manual or don't want to or whatever you just have to deal with the derogatory comments made at the expense of automatic's. I'm very much guilty of making fun of autos myself. Much like driving a miata you'll get gay or feminine comments but they are still great cars, I've owned 4.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

I have a 84' and I can tell you the tuning options for hte Non-Turbo are very small. If your looking to heavily mod and looking for more power then I would either look for a turbo Z31 (84-89) with a manual tranny (the autos in these were not very fun to drive IMHO) or cut to a 90-96 which has more power and way more aftermarket options.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”