NHTSA investigation of suspension failures in 2008 through 2010 Versas

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

This quote was dated May 13, 2015:
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) has received 93 complaints (VOQs) alleging incidents of front suspension coil spring fracture in model year (MY) 2008 through 2010 Nissan Versa passenger cars. Preliminary analysis of the complaints indicates that the coil spring failures occur without warning and can happen at any speed. One complaint (VOQ #10663102) reported the passenger-side coil spring fractured while traveling at 65 mph and caused a sudden tire failure by cutting the inner sidewall 360 degrees. Another complaint ( VOQ #10680740) reported the passenger-side coil spring fractured while traveling 40 mph and result in tire puncture and brake line failure. ODI has also received EWR field report information relating to coil spring failures in the subject vehicles.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/ja ... -62010.pdf

I ran into a number of complaints like this when I was researching before purchasing my Versa. I noticed that the bulk of them were from 2009 and 2010 model years. At that point (August of 2014) there was no investigation of this issue. Now it appears likely that this investigation may lead to a recall at some point.

Has anybody experienced the fracture of a front suspension spring on their Versa? Can you tell us your story?

Return to “Versa General Chat”