NFS Shift 2: Looks incredible~!!!

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
archaeicbloke
Car: Skyline GTR

ProudNissanFreak
Car: 2005 Imaginary WRX STi, 2003 Civic

I dunno. Visually it still looks like garbage (it may not seem like it on that video, but it was the same for Shift). They also said the same thing for their physics engine last time, calling it state of the art, best one out there for racing games, etc. It's not the best, but decent. That being said, I think NFS does the best job with damage and crash sounds.

archaeicbloke
Car: Skyline GTR

yeee, you make a pretty good point actually, it was the same deal with the first shift... but man that looks convincing.. Im gonna at least try it out for myself, probably download the "demo" lol.... they got the feeling of driving a GTR sort of right last time... I wonder if it'll be more accurate this time, with the skylines intricate 4wd system.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I still need to get the first Shift. I heard it's was worth buying

ProudNissanFreak
Car: 2005 Imaginary WRX STi, 2003 Civic

alms24sebring wrote:I still need to get the first Shift. I heard it's was worth buying
It's alright, but gets dull after a while. Some of the tracks are pretty cool, though.

bigbadberry3

I'm holding my money for the next Forza....

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

ProudNissanFreak wrote:
alms24sebring wrote:I still need to get the first Shift. I heard it's was worth buying
It's alright, but gets dull after a while. Some of the tracks are pretty cool, though.
Agreed, I enjoyed playing it but after you beat all the races, there's not really anything worth doing. That being said, it's worth playing though, especially since it's had time to come down in price, while NFS Hot Pursuit was a HUGE waste of money :squint:

I'm not gonna plan on purchasing NFS Shift 2 though, unless I buy it later. Forza 4 will be where my money is going, at least when you beat everything, you can still have fun with it.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

bigbadberry3 wrote:I'm holding my money for the next Forza....
:yesnod

My only fear is that some game content is sacrificed on the game discs to make room for Kinect support. In a perfect world the Kinect support files will be a download through Live, but I don't think that that is very likely.

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

A33 wrote:Forza 4 will be where my money is going, at least when you beat everything, you can still have fun with it.
I've invested an ungodly number of hours into every Forza game and have NEVER completed a single one, Forza 1 & 2 are the most complete with just having the endurance races left, but I'm still only 1/2 way through all the events on Forza 3. Anyone who has beaten everything in a Forza either has no life or doesn't play anything except Forza. Seriously the Endurance races taken anywhere between 1 to 3 hours, that is a substantial amount of time to invest in one race, and having the AI do the race for you is a waste of time and prize money. Then again I do spend more time building cars and screwing around than I do racing in Forza 3, I change one setting to tweak my setups and I either screw it up or just make my cars marginally better.

alms24sebring

1-3 hours isnt crap. Try an 8hr, 9hr, 2 12hr, and 2 24hr races on GT5, not including the other 5 that take 1.5-3.5hrs. Who really wants to do that. And on top of that, you have to do it again on BSpec which takes even longer for the nontime limited races.

As you can see in the other thread, I really like the game. Looks, sound, crashes, graphics, physics (few issues), are all pretty satisfying.

Chaotic_Warlord

I don't have a racing wheel and play all my racing games with the standard controller, so holding the gas trigger for 1 hour is a chore, after about 20 minutes my finger starts to cramp up, so doing any of the endurance races in GT5 is out of the question. But then GT5 also has director mode that allows you to train your AI driver so you can just start the endurance races in Director mode and walk away, you can't do that in Forza, you pick one of the AI drivers from the standard list, the better they are the less you get in prize money, and overall they all suck and you're guaranteed a loss.

alms24sebring

I dont have a steering wheel either! I always play racing games with thumbs. I even perfer to use the directional pad to steer instead of the left analog. And, GT5 is not like GT4 where you can put an AI driver behind the wheel in FP mode when your tired of driving. YOU have to do it all. It sucks because its not like its even hard, its just time consuming. I feel like Im just doing it to get the race over with because by the time its over in any enduro race, Im 50+ laps ahead depending on amount of time/laps and level. Maybe it would be more fun if there was actually a challenge behind it.

I cant say, I have never played Forza 3. In this game actually, I think the narrator said there is an hour long endurance. Thats not long at all I dont think. The challenge is that this game actually is challenging. The computer matches your cars hp or powerpoints or class (or whatever they call it). On top of that there is damage to account for.

Chaotic_Warlord

Forza has some exceptional AI, it always has, especially when you are doing the R class and Factory Spec races. They will gladly run you into a wall to get by you or take advantage of a F up on your part. Sometimes they do keep their distance or will back off if you aggressively block them, but if you are doing a race that has more than 3 or 4 laps they will be a bug up your a** and force you to make an error in judgement. In the Factory Spec and R series races you have to really learn how to set up your car to have an edge especially at the highest difficulty. I generally do the races at the level just under the hardest races and even then I struggle for wins on some of the tracks and I am pretty good with racing games and setting up my cars.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:...but if you are doing a race that has more than 3 or 4 laps they will be a bug up your a** and force you to make an error in judgement. In the Factory Spec and R series races you have to really learn how to set up your car to have an edge especially at the highest difficulty.
Agreed. The only true weakness I've found in the AI in longer races is that it takes the fuel tank all the way to the bottom, which isn't an issue, but it does mean that it runs the tires too long - and that's a huge issue. ;) In longer races, if you can stay patient and keep your cool you'll make up loads of time if you change tires earlier than the AI cars.
Chaotic_Warlord wrote:In the Factory Spec and R series races you have to really learn how to set up your car to have an edge especially at the highest difficulty.
Sort of agree...I don't tune much at all (mainly tire pressure, a little suspension and always aero downforce), I've found that patience has won more races for me than tuned cars have. *Not* that I am discounting tuning in the least.

Return to “Gaming”