Next Generation Nissan Rogue and New Model News

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
philipa_240sx

The economic downturn has hit all of the major auto manufacturers. As a result many including Nissan, have scaled back or halted new car development to save costs.

Well it appears there is some good news finally! Nissan Sport Magazine (who's forums are hosted here on NICO) has reported some news on the next generation Rogue.

From Nissan Sport Magazine:
... off-road correspondent Dan Spralinger. He interviewed Scott Vazin, director of product PR for Nissan... He also confirmed that Nissan has ordered a second generation of the popular Rogue crossover
I have highlighted just the important part, and omitted some other parts of the interview.

philipa_240sx

So with a 2nd generation Rogue being planned, what do you think Nissan should change or add?

Go ahead, post your suggestions, ideas, wish list, etc!

I'll start:

- Integrated Nav system- More engine/transmission choices, possibly a hybrid or all electric?- More adjustments for the drivers seat (seat cushion tilt)- Auto headlights (dusk/dawn)- Courtesy lights on the lower edge of the doors- A bit more cargo space

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

I'd like to see three new engine choices... though i know it's too hard to manufacture vehicles with that many options. 1.) VQ37de (the new 6 cyl that Nissan has in the G37 and 370z) mated to the CVT trans. 2.) Hybrid electric3.) Diesel

I'd like to see jump seats with seat belts for putting kids in a 3rd row seating position.

I'd like to see auto climate control.

I'd like to see integrated Nav.

I'd like to see a $2k price drop on the base models to better compete.

I'd like to see a model option with some attitude.. Like the KROM edition of the Cube.

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

-Improved headroom (maybe an inch or two taller?)

-Push button start

-Auto up/down for the passenger window

-Backlit window controls

-Less obnoxious cruise control indicator

-Better radio (more display room for information...HD radio tuner...double the channel storage memory)

Robteesit
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD

I would like to see another transmission choice and maybe a little more power.Hybrid would also be nice locking glove box and consolepop up rear hatchbetter rear visibilitybetter heat for driver side feetdifferent color interior lighting (blue)Better than Bose radio in premium packageMore towing ability

philipa_240sx

Eikon wrote:1.) VQ37de (the new 6 cyl that Nissan has in the G37 and 370z) mated to the CVT trans.
You know the V-6 isn't going to happen... that's what the Murano is for. But a small direct injection turbo motor would be nice... something in the 200hp range. Something to replicate the old JDM X-Trail that came with the SR20VET.... 280ps, AWD... yesss!!!

Eikon

yeah.. wishful thinking on my part.. but that's what this thread is about right?

An sr20vet would be amazing! Maybe nissan will turbo the QR motor. Would make a nice splash with the Sentra Spec V to keep up with the Hyundai Genesis. And putting a turbo QR25 in the Rogue would be incredible.. Can you imagine a Rogue with 250hp and 240 ft/lbs? That would be fun to drive.

Have they ever done a turbo motor with CVT? I wonder how Nissan feels about that?

philipa_240sx

The stock CVT could be upgraded to the one used with the VQ for more torque capacity. A properly built and boosted QR IMHO would be a great combo. It's such a torquey motor to begin with and you don't need to boost it much to get 250+hp.

Ahhh, we can dream!

bboard
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD Premium Iridium Graphite

panoramic sunroof or glass windows in the rear to improve lighting

mx6bfast
Car: 08 Rogue SL FWD

Radio that displays more dataBetter sound systemIntegrated navi/backup cameraBetter placement of dial to switch between mpg/dte/etcDual climate controlClimate control for the rear passengersAdjusting rear seats, back/forthBetter rear visibilityFaster high windshield wipers speedRadio USB connection

Pop up laser that will burn a hole into any car that opens their door too far and hits mine.

RogerRouge
Car: Nissan Rouge 2008 SL

The Rouge is a great small crossover now. The engine is peppy, handling is the best of all like kind and most of all fun to drive. I would not mess with the basic vehicle. I would change simple things. Wouldn't the interior look nicer with the dark dashboard and trim with a beige color below and beige/tan seats? Developing the Rouge into a electric or Hybrid is the future. Good luck to the Nissan engineers.

Modified by RogerRouge at 7:28 PM 2/15/2010 [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Modified by RogerRouge at 8:06 PM 2/15/2010

philipa_240sx

RogerRouge wrote:Wouldn't the interior look nicer with the dark dashboard and trim with a beige color below and beige/tan seats?
Actually this does exist.... sort of. Rogue's equipped with the grey leather interior come with a 2 tone scheme (lower portion is grey) for both the dash and door panels.

http://www.nissanusa.com/rogue...hotos/

Eikon

A note to anyone reading this thread...

Nissan North America DOES watch our forum to hear what owner's and the public thinks about the cars/trucks/suv's. Your ideas and opinions could very well influence changes in future models.

So please don't hesitate to share your opinions. Not just in this thread, but across the board.

Thanks everyone!

cdmuile
Car: Nissan Rogue, Scion tC RS4.0

Mostly things that have already been mentioned by other posters: Interior release for the gas door, adjustable rear seat head rests, and a MUCH better premium sound system.

ncsu
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Diesel option - would not want hybrid.More power is always welcome and since we are wishing - give me better mpg tooThe size is good since it is supposed to be a small CUV. Auto up and down front windows.less bright cruise light - and memory power so you don't have to turn it on every time.auto climate control

Roguemonster
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD (Iridium Graphite)

Just thought of something else I'd like to see (even on the current model)...A limited edition sport model with a manual 6.

Take the existing SL with all the options...they can even keep the same motor and underpinnings...give it a special color (maybe a black that gives off a purple hue when the light hits it right), maybe do some other special touches with the lighting and seating or whatever, but awaken my clutch foot from its long slumber.

Call it the SLS?

I'd trade mine in for one.

ncsu
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Roguemonster wrote:Just thought of something else I'd like to see (even on the current model)...A limited edition sport model with a manual 6.

Take the existing SL with all the options...they can even keep the same motor and underpinnings...give it a special color (maybe a black that gives off a purple hue when the light hits it right), maybe do some other special touches with the lighting and seating or whatever, but awaken my clutch foot from its long slumber.

Call it the SLS?

I'd trade mine in for one.
This is why I have a sports car as a second car.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

In addition to the ideas already listed, they have to add a center console for the rear seats, ALL the competitors have this. Also, the rear seat angle should be adjustable, and so should the rear headrests (this is a big pain with car seats, the strap has to go OVER top of the headrest to connect to the anchor in the back, and when you tighten it down it squishes the headrest completely flat and looks ridiculous, and over time it might just Also, I agree with Philip, more cargo room, mainly vertically which could be accomplished by getting rid of the sloping roof in the back - i.e. raise the stay squished permanently - lots of people use this vehicle for kids, why would Nissan do this to us??).

Also I agre with Philip, raise the back roof line up for more vertical cargo space, and in the process this would allow them to add a larger rear window which would be real nice. I wouldn't want to compromise styling but function has to be a priority.

philipa_240sx

The real kicker is many of these features exist in the Qashqai (The Rogue's twin brother from the UK):

A slightly higher roofline would give better access to cargo space. You can get a better idea of what it would look like in the Qashqai +2 . The essence of the design isn't sacrificed very much to get this extra utility.

The rear seat modifications you suggest can easily be done. The Qashqai already has them (adjustable recline, center console and removeable/adjustable headrests). I really like the pass through created when the center armrest is folded. It would be a great feature for transporting long items.

Also, notice the panoramic sunroof in the last photo?

kerrton

Wow, that vehicle looks pretty close to perfect, I'd forgotten some details.

So the bottom line is I would've preferred to purchase a Qashqai but without sacrficing any of the length/width of the Rogue.

They could've saved money by just sticking with one design (but with different powertrains for Europe vs. NA), and perhaps even sold more in NA because I prefer the Qashai, and I know many others would too. One of the most common reasons I've heard/read for those choosing the CR-V or RAV4 over the Rogue is strictly due to cargo space, I'd say this is the number 1 reason people pass on the Rogue and that's too bad. I'm still very happy with the cargo area and like I've said in other posts it's bigger than most vehicles with third row seats, including minivans and big crossovers that I drive at work like the Traverse, but there's always room for improvement!

Oh yeah, I really like the idea of a special edition manual 6-speed, I think the size and sportiness of this vehicle would work great with the manual tranny. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take a manual 6 over the CVT, it would be fun to drive and also I'd be more comforatble with reliability over the CVT, if something did go wrong one day it wouldn't break the bank to repair it compared to the cost of a CVT!!
Modified by kerrton at 9:51 AM 9/30/2009

kerrton

One more thing I'd change:

Get rid of the cloth cover on the center console/armrest and the cloth door armrests, what a bad idea!! I put my elbow on the console all the time and inevitably it gets dirty and would be nice if it was just a rubberized plastic type finish that wipes clean easily and doesn't show wear like the cloth does. Not a huge deal but something I think they should definately change, 10 years down the road that cloth console finish might be looking pretty rough whereas plastic/rubber is indestructable......just like the Qashqai has!!

bboard
Car: 2009 Rogue SL AWD Premium Iridium Graphite

Love the panormaic sunroof!! But don't like the fold down seat in the middle for cup holders... it looks kind of cheap with the whole middle section folded down...

mdrudge
Car: 2009 Wicked Black Rogue SL AWD Premium Leather (Gray) Moonroof PKGs and 2009 Wicked Black Rogue SL A

Exterior Improvements/Suggestions:

- Dual exhaust pipes

Interior Improvements/Suggestions:

- Tilt and Telescope Steering Wheel- Push Button Start- Auto On/Off Headlights- Sliding front armrest- Illuminated Window Switches (Front and Rear)- Auto Up/Down Front Driver/Passenger Windows- Improved Radio Display- Rear Center Armrest- Adjustable Rear Headrests- Cupholders in rear doors- Rear HVAC Vent

Powertrain

- In lieu of a small V6, improved HP/TQ combo in the 180-200 range with appropriate adjustments to maintain current MPGs.

philipa_240sx

mdrudge wrote:- Cupholders in rear doors- Rear HVAC Vent

Powertrain

- In lieu of a small V6, improved HP/TQ combo in the 180-200 range with appropriate adjustments to maintain current MPGs.
Some comments:

- There is a retractable cup holder at the rear of the center console.

- The HVAC vents on the Rogue are located under the driver's and passenger's seats and is the norm for most 4dr vehicles. Unless you are expecting overhead vents or ones located higher up at the rear of the center console. That's not a bad idea...

- Power wise, the QR25DE is comparable with similar 4cyl engines in it's class. However, the improvements you are suggesting are already available: the QR25DE from the Sentra SE-R Spec-V:

- 200 hp @ 6,600 rpm- 180 lb-ft of torque @ 5,200 rpm

That's an increase of 30hp and 5 lb-ft of torque. It comes at a price though:

- It requires premium fuel- The power band is substantially higher in the rpm range. This means less low end torque/power. In effect the Spec-V motor will only get the higher performance when wrung out to it's redline. This is not something you want to do in everyday traffic.

To get the magic 200hp number, keep a similar low rpm torque, and use regular unleaded fuel is going to require either: a turbocharger or an increase in displacement to something close to 3.0L. Personally I would like to see Nissan do a small turbocharged 4 cyl.

mdrudge
Car: 2009 Wicked Black Rogue SL AWD Premium Leather (Gray) Moonroof PKGs and 2009 Wicked Black Rogue SL A

Some additions:

Exterior - LED Taillights for brakes.

Interior - additional dc outlets 3 instead of 2 currently

USB for IPOD/MP3 and move aux to center console and off radio

Improved option packages for S and SL models

S ConvenienceS Convenience Plus

Audio controls for S model for instance.

SL ConvenienceSL Convenience Plus

Power cloth seats in SL model for instance.

Last of improvements that I could think of. The Rogue is sized right, but Nissan needs to work on packaging and space a little.

rouge-rogue
Car: 09 Nissan Rogue S AWD

I would require/insist that the next generation has the following:- more durable, scratch resistant paint- better visibility on the back, and maybe on the sides too- more cargo area- better fuel economy- high quality all season tires- locking gas door with remote open (like on hondas)- remote open rear cargo hatch release- front grill protection so that small rocks wont accidentally hit the radiator- 100% reliable CVT transmission. Otherwise if they cannot do that then a life time warranty on the CVT transmission

Modified by rouge-rogue at 10:50 AM 10/6/2009

roadside
Car: Black '09 Rogue SL FWD (Canadian)

philipa_240sx wrote:- More adjustments for the drivers seat (seat cushion tilt)
x2

The point where the lip of the cloth seat presses up against the back of my thigh really starts to hurt after about an hour.

Other requests:- proximity sensors (all sides)- panoramic sunroof- rear center armrest (not fold-down seat like in Qashqai+2)- removable rear headrests

peleke
Car: 2008 Rogue SL AWD, Indigo Blue, premium package, leather, moonroof

Hmmmm..

Remote gas coverremote trunk releaseheight adjustable passenger seatadjustable headrests for rear seatreclining rear seatturn indicators on side mirrorscourtesy lights on lower parts of all passenger doorsauto headlightsmore insulation in doors and cargo arealighted door lock and window leversinterior temperature display

gebenhoeh
Car: Nissan Rogue

Smaller tack and much larger display for gas gauge , engine temp, tripinfo, MPH, etc. Current display way too small!

Shusaka
Car: 1993 240SX Hatch

full instrument panel, at least 6 gauges in it (hence full), Manual trans, Primarily RWD with 4wd selectable, i would take it in a heartbeat

Return to “Rogue Forum”