News about Netflix

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Taken from a home theater forum...
Lots of interesting news from the latest netflix earnings call courtesy of hackingnetflix.com: wrote:
Netflix to Add "New Consumer Electronics Device" & More From Earnings Call

During the earnings call Netflix CEO Reed Hastings disclosed some very interesting information:

* Netflix will add a new "consumer electronics device" in Q4 and they've increased projections because of the device. Wii? PS3? iPhone?* Netflix will spend $40 million on new machines to open, inspect and clean DVDs. A Netflix spokesperson said that "workers will stay" when asked if the machines would eliminate jobs.* Hastings says that Netflix will be shipping DVDs until 2030, hence the $40 million investment in automation.* A DVD sales window before the rental window would be good for Netflix, according to Hastings, since costs would be lower for content and Netflix is less focused on new releases. Hasting said that a later rental window would help with new release availability, and with the money they save they could spend more on streaming titles.* The number of customers using streaming (at least one movie or show per month) has doubled to more than 40% in the past year.* Hastings believes that the $600 million or more they spend on postage will convert to streaming, making Netflix one of the biggest customers of the studios behind Wal-Mart and Amazon.* International Expansion: Netflix will offer a streaming-only plan in an unannounced international market in the second half of 2010.* Less than 10% of subscribers rent Blu-ray titles from Netflix.
What I find amazing is just how many people stream movies and how few rent bluray. Once I get my computer going (been super busy with work, school, and the wedding) I'm going to use it as my HTPC. I plan on streaming movies and renting only BRD. So I will help increase those figures.[/quote]

Modified by Looneybomber at 6:16 PM 11/29/2009

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Looneybomber wrote:What I find amazing is just how many people stream movies and how few rent bluray.
I would not find that odd if not for the fact that there's NOTHING AT ALL worth streaming from Netflix. Anything that's actually worth watching must be rented on physical media.

I effing hate Netflix, and the whole idea of renting through the mail. Unless they bring their streaming selection up to match their rental selection, they'll never have my interest.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

As mentioned in that quick write up,"* Hastings believes that the $600 million or more they spend on postage will convert to streaming, making Netflix one of the biggest customers of the studios behind Wal-Mart and Amazon."This makes me think they'll be expanding their selection of digital movies. With the price of postage always going up and the price of bandwidth continuing to decrease, adding more digital content is an economically good idea. Plus, with more and more BR players coming out with network capability allowing them to access youtube, netflix, etc... more and more people will be wanting instant gratification instead of waiting the 2 days for their movie to arrive.

Just wait MOD, you'll be getting more digital movies.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Plus, all 3 home consoles will soon have Netflix streaming capability. Considering the Wii and 360 installbases, that's a LOT of people with Netflix devices already connected to their TVs. Netflix would be foolish not to expand their streaming library.

However, I think they are foolish. If they weren't, they'd ALREADY have expanded it.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Yeah I just got a Samsung bluray player for christmas and it will stream netflix, blockbuster, youtube, and pandora. It'll also connect to my PC which mostly eliminates the need to have it as an HTPC.

So anyway, I'm thinking there's going to be a surge of online media now that even bluray players can stream stuff online. Now let's see who's going to create an online "cable company" with streaming TV shows.

The Siath
Car: 99 Nissan Maxima, Arctic Pearl White, VQ30de, 5MT.

There are other advantages to NetFlix which are typically overlooked...

I have 6 computers on my home network at any given time (My 2 kids desktops, my oldest kids school laptop, my oldest kids 2 friends that have school laptops, my wife's laptop, and my laptop) - 4 of us can be streaming from NetFlix at the SAME time - with no issues (lagging, or buffering type).
NetFlix is already converting 'more' of their selection to Streaming, however I've noticed certain movies are NOT being converted, including ALL James Bond 007 movies.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”