Newbie to forum with some Questions about the VH or VK engines

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
RichZilla
Car: Y34 Gloria - VQ30DET 12PSi & 20"rims

I believe it would be a Y33 Cima

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

Nissan Cima FGY32

blownnissanv8
Car: building nissan skyline r33 full chassis drag car

hey Gt rob. Where in Aus u from?I can get vh45s if u need one? and by the way dont worry about variable valve timing just run big cams with a fat idle like the good ol days.

SuperHatch
Car: 96 TLC

A couple other pre-94 and 94+ VH45DE differences...

The early motors are studded, meaning the main's are held in with studs, as well as the valve covers. The late motors are all bolts. The vac/evap is also plumbed differently.

I know this cause I have a 91 and a 94 motor torn down in the garage.

SeanDean
Car: V8S13, 528i, 328is racecar

Mettler wrote:There's the VH41DE and the VH45DE, they are 4.1L and 4.5L respectively. There are various versions of each motor.

Here are Nico, we are most familiar with four main versions of these engines.

JDM VH41DEUSDM VH41DEPre '94 VH45DEPost '94 VH45DE

The JDM VH41DE and the post '94 VH45DE are the most desirable out of the four.

All four have the same strength internals and are largely built the same, with the exception of some crucial details, as follows:

* USDM VH41DE lacks main bearing beam, which was put in on the other motors to reduce NVH & add rigidity to the bottom end. USDM VH41DE also has smaller & differently angled oval intake ports, and doesn't have the nicely designed spider style manifold. I believe it also doesn't have sodium filled exhaust valves, which the other motors have (to be confirmed.)

Furthermore, it runs a timing chain setup with four chains, utilizing an idler on each side (rather than the 45's long chain setup), but only with single row/simplex chain. This motor is effectively the **** version, steer clear.
All FGY33 engines are the same. Not just the US Market models. Also D is for Domestic, and domestics here are GM, Ford and Chrysler. So USM would be more apt, but you could just say Y33 or 1997-2001 VH engine....

Ports on the Y33 motors are the same size as the VH45's and larger in area than the twin port early motors. The Y33 engine has an equal length intake manifold.2 downsides: 4.1L and the lack of bearing plate which honestly makes little difference before you hit 1000hp anyway....

Personally for the original poster I would recommend a 1995 or 1996 VH45DE. These engines have the good chain guides, better wiring, newest ECU for the 4.5 and are obviously the last 4.5's made before the switch to the open deck design.

gtrob
Car: R32 GTR

yeah mate I'm a couple of hrs north of Adelaide. How much for the engine and what comes with it. Also got a XE falcon ute that has just that has all of the above big mechanical cam big carb and big cubes which = a GREAT sound and good hp but LOTS AND LOTS of fuel. Especially when its your daily driver.

Mettler
Car: HR31 GTS-8 coupe, VH41/45 Hybrid Transplant

SeanDean wrote:Ports on the Y33 motors are the same size as the VH45's and larger in area than the twin port early motors.
I disagree, please refer to this thread for proof.

Link to specific picture showing the difference.

robb1971
Car: 1971 ford falcon

Hi ya gtrob, im part way through putting the vh45de into an xy falcon and i can tell you its a major mission... I had to install front struts from rrs so i can cut a huge lump out of the suspension towers. The steering box needs to go as well. rrs sell a rack conversion kit but i will be making my own and saving a couple of grand in the process. wiring is a walk in the park, its just looks scary when you have the loom strung out on the floor. mounts arent too bad, make your own as the originals will be too close to the camber adjustment bolts on the x-member. there is a major amount of room left at the front of the engine ( ideal for turbo's ) and hood clearance wont be an issue thats the only thing that fits ha harealistically its easier to wack in a windsor or clevo but the vh45 will be better in the long run, better weight distribution, fuel economy, good power etcmake sure you check the cam chain guides though... its a mustall the best

Cima96
Car: 1996 FGY33 Cima grand touring.
1994 G50 Q45

Mettler wrote:There's the VH41DE and the VH45DE, they are 4.1L and 4.5L respectively. There are various versions of each motor.

Here are Nico, we are most familiar with four main versions of these engines.

JDM VH41DEUSDM VH41DEPre '94 VH45DEPost '94 VH45DE

The JDM VH41DE and the post '94 VH45DE are the most desirable out of the four.

All four have the same strength internals and are largely built the same, with the exception of some crucial details, as follows:

* USDM VH41DE lacks main bearing beam, which was put in on the other motors to reduce NVH & add rigidity to the bottom end. USDM VH41DE also has smaller & differently angled oval intake ports, and doesn't have the nicely designed spider style manifold. I believe it also doesn't have sodium filled exhaust valves, which the other motors have (to be confirmed.)

Furthermore, it runs a timing chain setup with four chains, utilizing an idler on each side (rather than the 45's long chain setup), but only with single row/simplex chain. This motor is effectively the **** version, steer clear.

* Pre '94 VH45DE has chain guides made from plastic, that eventually get worn and break, dropping pieces into the sump. It also retains the main bearing beam, stiffening up the bottom end slightly.

The VH45DE runs a single simplex timing chain per bank, from the crank sprockets up and around the cam sprockets... this direct drive setup results in very large camshaft sprockets.

This version also has siamesed intake ports where the manifold bolts up, two circular ports per cylinder, rather than a single oval port which splits. While reducing overall flow capacity to a very small extent, this port style can serve promote air velocity at low engine speeds. When flowbenched, oval port & siamesed port heads show very little difference anyway.

* Post '94 VH45DE has chain guide issues fixed, with metal backed versions available from Nissan as standard. These guides can be put into the pre '94 version to remedy the issue. This motor also retains the main bearing beam. This version however, has the oval ports rather than the siamesed intake ports. This is the most desirable VH45DE.

* JDM VH41DE has no chain guide issues, has a main bearing beam, oval ports, spider intake manifold, and basically all the best bits from the other engines, combined.

Furthermore, it runs a timing chain setup like the USDM VH41DE, with a single chain on each side going up to an idler, and then a chain from the idler around the cam sprockets.... however, with the JDM engine, the chains around the cam sprockets are dual row/duplex chains, which are 190% as strong as simplex chains.

The other benefits to this setup are that the ratio is changed at the idler, making the camshaft sprockets a whole lot smaller in diameter, drastically reducing the width of the front cover of the engine. This is where the common misconception comes from that the VH45DE is bigger... it's not, the block and heads are almost identical (totally not interchangeable though), but the timing chain area on a VH45DE is just way wider and takes up more room, as well as being weaker & more prone to stretch over time. Let it be known though, that this is hardly an issue, because having timing chains at all is overkill, let alone duplex ones. The VH45DE isn't exactly going to have issues with its chain setup, but it's still important to note the differences.

The alternator on a VH41DE is mounted at the top/front of the engine, rather than off to the side, and this helps because on the VH45DE it can cause chassis rail interference issues.

Also, JDM spec engines typically have the starter motor on the same side as cylinder 1/3/5/7 (this is the driver's side on the US, it's passenger side for Japan and NZ etc). This is an important fact, because when fitting a VH into some vehicles, the starter motor part of the bellhousing, or the starter body itself, can interfere with your steering column if it's on the same side. I noticed this when a guy from NZ tried putting a VH45DE into an S15.

There is one more difference that stands out to me. The way VTC works between the '41 and '45. The VH45DE has a solenoid valve on the end of the VTC drum that bypasses the oil pressure when required. On the VH41DE, there is a solenoid that screws into the side of the head and blocks/releases the oil feed through the actual gallery in the head. This further reduces the size of the VTC mechanism on the VH41DE.

The heathens will tell you that the VH45DE is better due to the extra 400cc... My reason would be due to the better bore/stroke ratio making the VH45DE achieve a faster intake charge velocity and increased cylinder pressure at intake valve closure as a result.

In my opinion, the JDM VH41DE is in fact the best base motor, and anyone who disagrees is just jealous their market isn't flooded with the superior JDM VH41DE in their country

I hope this helps.
Hi Mettler or anyone else on here who can help me. I have a 1996 FGY33 Cima Grand Touring and was wondering if this JDM VH41DE is as strong as the Y32 version that you mention in your posts? The inlet manifold at least is different(no spider manifold). What other changes are there? Is this version stronger than the USDM Y33 Q45 motors or the same? Will the manifold off a VH45DE bolt on(have a 1994 Q45 as my daily)? Or can good power be had from this manifold? Transmission wise will a 5 speed tiptronic transmission from an F50 bolt on to either the VH45DE or this 1996 Y33 JDM VH41DE? answers to any or all of these questions be appreciated so money is spent where it will do most good.
Thanks

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”