newbie needs info...

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
emilio

hey guys whats up...im 16 and i want a car project, I like really small light cars (and RWD kicks ***!), so I decided to go with a datsun 510...also they are very abundant where I live (los angeles), I checked recycler and found over 10 listed!

however I need help with a few things...

first, can anyone explain the engines/engine codes to me...

second, what should I expect to pay for a rust free car, that still may have some defects (mechanical or cosmetic), but nothing majorly wrong?

thirdly, is any year of this car recommended over another? (I was considering the late 60s early 70s model)

fourthly, what engine swaps are popular with this car?

fifthly, what are other good sites for information?

thanks again!

nab911

510 ares expensive because they are bad ***. You have a lot of motor options but if you arent mechanicly inclined you can give that up in a heart beat unless you wanna give up the money to have it done. The engine code thing is really simple.

ka 24 d eSeries Displacement dual overhead cam Electronic fuel injection

rb26dettrb series 2.6 liters of displacement, dual overhead twin turbo

ca18datsun510
Car: bmw 330i zhp, 91 infiniti m30, 89 240sx, 07 zx6r, 05 trx450r

where are 510's expensive?

anyhow, your 16. its gonna be your first car. save up some extra money and get a good one and do upgrades, not repairs. trust me.

the stock engine is an l16. chances are if there are 10 advertised by you that one or two may have a l18 or l20 swapped in.

l is the engine series. 16,18, 20 etc. is the displacement. 16 = 1.6 liter, 18 = 1.8 liter etc.

emilio

thank you both for your replies, but perhaps I misled you guys...

I already have a car, a 1993 toyota camry LE, it's my daily driver I guess you could call it.

I am VERY mechanically inclined, and I know my way under the hood of a car.

and as for the engine codes, all i can say is d'oh! I should have known that.

thanks

nismo510
Car: building models and real cars.autocrossing

dont swap go retro I've got a 70' 510 and I love the old motrors 16,18 and the 2 litter.ther harder to find parts but I see every one doing swaps with newer motors.There sawps are still cool but not the same.KEEP IT RETRO!!!

blur510

nismo510 wrote:dont swap go retro I've got a 70' 510 and I love the old motrors 16,18 and the 2 litter.ther harder to find parts but I see every one doing swaps with newer motors.There sawps are still cool but not the same.KEEP IT RETRO!!!
I clicked on you pc and it didnt work. I am one of the swappers, It's cool having more power and the ease of use of EFI, But the swap process is a pain. Unless you are commited to getting the swap done I wouldnt recomend it.

blur

nismo510

more power is cool.but i'm not looking for a dragster,i autocross and the 2 litter i'm going to build is perfect.to much power when you autocross can get you in trouble.the swaps are a pain and i do like them but i prefer retro

blur510

nismo510 wrote:more power is cool.but i'm not looking for a dragster,i autocross and the 2 litter i'm going to build is perfect.to much power when you autocross can get you in trouble.the swaps are a pain and i do like them but i prefer retro
true, my car isnt a drag car either, its mostly for autocross or track. I have owned a l20 510 with sss head and I agree its plenty power for the car. I also have friends with sr20 on thier cars and seem to love it for auto x and track, very reliable power source. the swap is a real pain tho... ohh yeah here is the messege i get when i click on your pic

Quote »File attachments can only be linked from the message board server; Outside linking is not allowed.

Your referrer: [URL]http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com/zerot ... =79869/URL]][/quote]thanks

nismo510

did you want a pic of the bre?i just like the retro power i might swap motors when i get another 510.

blur510

nismo510 wrote:did you want a pic of the bre?i just like the retro power i might swap motors when i get another 510.
well yeah... its just that you have an attached picture on your post. so i click on it and nothing happens....

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

I don't think there is such a thing as "too much" power in autocrossing. More is always better, but you must have the driving skill to accompany it.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”