Newbie Need some Advice

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

R350Zz33 wrote:please don't call it a zed its a Z.
Please don't call that Titan a truck, its a Nissan.

rmezz13
Car: Had 2004.5 Nissan 350z
Have 96 f250 and mommas 07 Murano

I know the history, but i hate when its called a Zed... And i guarantee the Japanese don't pronounce it "zed" like the brits do.

R350Zz33
Car: 2008 350z enthusiast

listen the "Z" was designed in cali by americans for americans the engine is france and its built in japan. that clearly makes it a mutt americans are mutts to the z is american not british so its pronounced "Z" not zed. i don't care what nissans site says.

R350Zz33

and badger ur link contains this info :Zed (pronounced /ˈzɛd/) is the name of the last letter of the alphabet Z used by the majority of English-speaking people outside of the United States (where its name is "zee" (/ziː/)). The name "zed" is derived from the Greek letter zeta, which also represents the Z sound. Zulu is used in the NATO phonetic alphabet for Z.Zed can also refer to the following.[edit]Music / Entertainment

Zed (band), a pop-rock group from New Zealand.ZED, a sludge/groove metal group from Philadelphia, PA, USA.ZeD, a Canadian show that aired original music, short films, animation, performance, visual art and spoken word pieces from around the world.[edit]Fictional characters

Chief Zed, Men in Black (film) supervisor (the agents' code names are letters).Zed, other spelling for Djed."Zed" or "Zeds" is a fictional slang term for zombies.Zed, the character in the movie Zardoz played by Sean Connery - name specifically comes from the British name of this letter.Zed, a character in the video game Wild Arms for the Sony PlayStation.Zed is the name of the S&M-loving security guard in the popular movie Pulp Fiction, played by Peter Greene.Zed is the name of a highly skilled safe cracker in the 1994 movie Killing Zoe, played by Eric Stoltz.Zed, the antagonist of the video game Zombie Revenge for the Sega Dreamcast and arcade.Zed is the main character of the anime series Kiba.Zed was the name of a robotic villain in the series SWAT Kats.Zed is a character in the Police Academy film series.Zed was a fictional robot in The Ed and Zed Show.Lord Zedd villain of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.The Zeds, characters in the Dr. Seuss book One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish that have one hair growing on their heads."A Zed and two Noughts", a film by Peter Greenaway[edit]Other

In the browser-based multiplayer game Urban Dead, Zed is slang for Zombie.Z or Zed, abbreviations for the Kawasaki Z1000 motorcycle. A sport bike engine, with the styling of a naked bike.Z (pronounced "Zed"), a computer real-time strategy game for DOS, Windows, Sega Saturn and PlayStation.Zed, a now defunct annual design journal edited by Katie Salen that ran from 1995-2000.Zed card, a popular but erroneous name for a "portfolio on a card" used by models and actors, see comp card.Zed, Rajan, a Hindu chaplain and community activist based in Reno, NV, USA. He was selected as a guest chaplain for US Senate in 2007. His service was shown on national TV after protesters disrupted his invocation.The specification language Z.Zonal Employee Discount An airline industry employee discount, for travel on other airlines (other than their own) as a non-revenue standby passenger.Zed, a terminal text editor for UNIX.Z-Cars, a 1960s UK TV series.Zero Point Module, abbreviated ZPM, a fictional power source on the tv series Stargate Atlantis.Zed (company), a multinational corporation from Spain that develops and markets entertainment and community products and services for mobile phones and the Internet in 53 countries.ZED,abbreviation of Zero (fossil) Emission Development, a zero-carbon building philosophy and method designed by architect Bill Dunster. See BedZED in south London, the first ZED building.

none of any of the meanings has to to with a nissan 350z just the pronouncing of the letter z in other countries if nissan wanted it to be called a zed dond u think they would put "350ZED" instead of "350Z"??

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I know what the link says and its in response to the letter Z (or Zed) and its pronounciation in other English speaking countries, not the car. If you can't figure out why I linked I don't think there is any point explaining it any further.

BTW, when you don't drive to school how short is the bus that you ride on?

Gumby Gone Wild
Car: Z

R350Zz33 wrote:none of any of the meanings has to to with a nissan 350z just the pronouncing of the letter z in other countries if nissan wanted it to be called a zed dond u think they would put "350ZED" instead of "350Z"??
I love it when people validate your point in their arguments. R350Zz33... Let me ask you this politely, what's that last letter on the bottom left of the hatch? Oh right, a Z, also pronounced zed, by the not-so-ignorant.
BusyBadger wrote:BTW, when you don't drive to school how short is the bus that you ride on?

R350Zz33

badger i know u road the short bus but i never had

Ar878

R350Zz33 wrote:badger i know u road the short bus but i never had
going to go ahead and quote for delicious irony.

EricE75
Car: 2008 350Z

I work with Canadians and Brits and there is always the arguement between UK English and US English and Zee vs. Zed

2012 Populations
NZ 4.5 mil
AUS 23 mil
CAN 35 mil
GBR 53 mil

USA 313 mil....Majority rules
Besides in most countries in the world when you buy a computer it's default American English

Every time I hear Zed, I think of a racist, homosexual rapist in Pulp Fiction...."Zed's dead"

jerryd1987
Car: 03 350z many mods inc next year

STI, it will be FAR more forgiving while driving the Z, your moving from a super low power fwd vehicle to something double the power and RWD with the Z. you might be thinking "oh im a good driver" every 19 year old does, i had a few years racing experience at 19 and was still a s*** driver every 19 year old is. its not just about winter and snow either i see kids wreck stuff in the rain here in hawaii granted they are especially crappy drivers. if you wanted something rwd you should start with something from the 80's first to get a feel either a fox body mustang or camaro both of which are cheap and still more powerful then the galant and are good entry rwd vehicles.

edit: i just noticed im super late to the party.
pcharoe1 wrote:
xjmxstac wrote: I'd go with the STI, more room for Costco shopping!On the downside, less attractive, gas guzzler, and high maintenance(subjectively speaking).
Thank you guys for the fast reply. I live by myself, room for groceries will not be a problem for both cars. But I live in a dorm, and most likely will be moving once every year. Last year I had a MY2002 mitsubishi galant, and when I moved it took me atleast 3 trips to get all my stuff anyways. So I will not consider space as an issue for this debate.I am just scare that if I get the STi and see the Z on the street I will regret it. And if I get the Z and see the STi on the street I will regret that also.

Here is my conclusion on both cars when I test drove it.

STI: 1). Boxer 4, stock tubo charged 4wd 2). The engine sounds great 3). The hood scoop looks sexy from the driver point of view 4). Turbo lag, (very minute) 5). boy racer look but the car is attractive to me 6). scare of the maintenance cost, because there are so many other things I need to be aware of. I am no mechanic either. 7). Got quoted on the insurance. $172 a month full coverageZ : 1). Engine sounds great also 2). overall body lines, the car looks a lot better than the STi 3). no turbo lag, instance torque 4). driving position is not as good as the Sti 5). some how the rear view mirror is pretty hard to see the car behind (or I didn't adjust it well enough?) 6). Insurance is cheaper. $20 a month. Got quoted for $152 a month full coverage

Conclusion: I will save money with the Z no matter what, but is it worth saving those couple grand?

Could you guys give me some information on what to look for when buying a used Z? I searched the forum, but nothing specific came up on a used Z buyer's guide.

p.s. I do not have any big plan to mod the car.
Last edited by jerryd1987 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

jerryd1987

the g35 and 350z are the same car the g just has rear seats and slightly different springs, sedan has a few other obvious body differences and very minor fuel system differences also, g35 comes with 6 speed as well point is any differences are very very minor and parts are interchangeable unless your trying to stick rear seats in a Z
pcharoe1 wrote:
Gumby Gone Wild wrote:I've gone grocery shopping with the Z, and didn't have much of a problem. But, luggage wise I don't think it would be too sensible. I love both the Sti and Z, and still want an STi everytime I see one, but I think that'll happen with either of your choices. Like marlin suggested, did you think of a used G? That's one thing I wish I had considered. It kind of sucks at times only being able to drive one friend with you. But, it is a Z, so I get over it quick!
I have looked into the G as well, but it is too luxurious for my age. It is not the type of car I want to drive right now. I test drove a 2007 G35 S (sedan) also, it is out of my price range, but I wanted to give it a shot. At the end I did not need the luxury that the G has to offer. There are 2 things I did not like about the G sedan. One the exhaust note is not as loud as the G coupe or the Z. Two it is a an automatic gear box with paddle shift, I want a manual 6 sp.

I'm so lost and scare to make a decision, because I do not want to regret later or waste my time selling one car and trying to get another.

Keep the opinions coming guys I need it!!! Thx

jerryd1987

also maintenance wont be any different..................... the turbo wont require any regular maintenance different from normal i definitely have alot more experience then alot in that regard any maintenance you will need cant be done by you anyway and means the car has a ton of miles(turbos regularly go 200+k miles when filters are used, they have proper coolant systems hooked up and oil is changed at proper intervals. aka all the normal car owner stuff.)

nick hook
Car: 350z 313 GT

hi there. my name is Nick.

i am on the verge of buying a 350z 313 GT 2007 with77k.

i have noticed that 6th gear is grinding at high revs. i have looked into this problem and it sounds like a common fault.

can anyone tell me roughly how much for a repair. and is there anything else i should be looking out for.

jerryd1987

not really common on a 07, it was earlier years that had the weaker syncros, also 6th int a common gear its much more common in 1-3 and 5th. also define "higher rpms" 4500 rpms is already ~100 mph depending on tire size, are you accelerating in first couple gears then shifting right into 6th skipping 2-3 gears? that greatly surpasses what any syncro is designed for and wouldn't be surprising that its doing that. tryed adjusting clutch pedal? it might not be adjusted properly and clutch isnt fully disengaging. finally price greatly depends where you are if it is indeed the syncro, which means likely only the start of your problems since while it is a wear item thats pretty soon on 6th to be happening and the car was likely ragged on, then the fix is a new tranny which used can be found around 700-900, or a rebuild.

bmore07tls
Car: 2007 Acura TL-S
Future: 2007 350Z

Hello all, Im posting in this thread as i have similar questions as the OP and dont want to clutter this forum up. Let me introdude myself. My name is John. I do NOT own a Z. I am in the market for one as my 3rd car so this will strictly be a fun toy car for me. Currently I own a 2007 Acura TL-S. As much as i love it, its an auto and FWD so its not the most fun to drive. This is where the Z comes in. After spending thousands on thousands to mod my TL i realized i should've put the money into a Z. So now im trying to learn as much as possible so when i get the Z or Zed (whichever shifts your gears) I am informed and can start modding right away. I plan to do all bolts ons to start. One day i may FI it but i have alot of research left to do before i decide on that.

So here is what ive gathered from my research so far. 03-04 have weaker trannys. The 06 (aug) and up are the models with the HR engine. After my reading i think ive decided to go with a 2007 HR. Thoughts on this and anything i should be aware of?
Im not going to sit here and asked to be spoon fed parts. Im not going to ask which exhaust sounds the best, i know that crap is all personal opinions and im not new to threads so i wont even go there. Im only asking for a little guidance to some good websites to check out as far as learning this car, available parts (my OCD tends to make me research every avaiable option), things of this nature. Thanks for any help guys and i hope to be a valuable member to these forums one day.
Also if anyone wants to see a pic of my TL just ask. I have to learn how to post pics on this forum first lol

jerryd1987

the 03-4 transmissions arnt any weaker, well mayby slightly but you wont find that limit, sound performance ran over 1200 whp on a stock one. what there HAS been issues with is the syncros, which can be 100% bypassed by rev matching or can have the gears machined for the later revision syncros, or swap in a later revision transmission. syncros are a normal wear item so having to rebuild a transmission for them shouldnt be a suprise especially as miles start to rack up, the benefit is the early ones are the cheapest and the DE engines in the 06 and below have many more parts available for them. hr will get a little bit more with bolt ons but if you go FI its a poorer choice, stock it will get you a little more from slightly stronger rods but it also dosnt have aftermarket bearings available. meaning for increased oil clearance for more power you have to have the crank machined and use oem.

if you do go FI down the road there is also far less turbo kit options out there although BP is supposed to be releasing a HR kit soon, the intake on the HR is plastic though so you will need a custom built one to handle higher power, the de will handle more power but it suffers from poorer flow and distribution. now with that said im hoping to have my variable runner intake manifold for the DE ready this summer but that is very tentative since i wont release it if it dosnt perform up to my standard. i intend to still have the low end the DE benefits from while improving the top end by alot. the HR does have a stronger oil pump but if a DE is built right it shouldnt need to rev to the moon.

personally i would recommend the DE for the pure reason that for the price of the HR you can buy a DE and get pretty much all your bolt ons, or start the FI project. i can tell you either way you go the bolt ons are very underwhelming on this platform. the engines are already pretty much at the limits of VE and can only improve through FI or rpms, FI is alot easier on the engine due to lower rpms means less chance of oil pump failure as well as less chance of oil aeration. the only solution to that for either engine is a dry sump setup, the modern oil pump designs really leave alot to be desired and are known to fail across alot of platforms, only solution to improve them are very expensive custom pumps to keep a wetsump and it still dosnt perform like a drysump.
bmore07tls wrote:Hello all, Im posting in this thread as i have similar questions as the OP and dont want to clutter this forum up. Let me introdude myself. My name is John. I do NOT own a Z. I am in the market for one as my 3rd car so this will strictly be a fun toy car for me. Currently I own a 2007 Acura TL-S. As much as i love it, its an auto and FWD so its not the most fun to drive. This is where the Z comes in. After spending thousands on thousands to mod my TL i realized i should've put the money into a Z. So now im trying to learn as much as possible so when i get the Z or Zed (whichever shifts your gears) I am informed and can start modding right away. I plan to do all bolts ons to start. One day i may FI it but i have alot of research left to do before i decide on that.

So here is what ive gathered from my research so far. 03-04 have weaker trannys. The 06 (aug) and up are the models with the HR engine. After my reading i think ive decided to go with a 2007 HR. Thoughts on this and anything i should be aware of?
Im not going to sit here and asked to be spoon fed parts. Im not going to ask which exhaust sounds the best, i know that crap is all personal opinions and im not new to threads so i wont even go there. Im only asking for a little guidance to some good websites to check out as far as learning this car, available parts (my OCD tends to make me research every avaiable option), things of this nature. Thanks for any help guys and i hope to be a valuable member to these forums one day.
Also if anyone wants to see a pic of my TL just ask. I have to learn how to post pics on this forum first lol

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Jerry said something that he's said a lot lately, and in the past I didn't agree with it but I've swung towards his way of thinking - if you're going to modify a Z, really modify a Z, go with one with the DE engine. There's a wider range of parts available for it and with the money you save on buying a older Z with the DE engine you can put it towards any modifications you're planning on.

If you're only going do some bolt-ons I'd go with the newer HR engine and look for a car with fewer miles. And, if you're planning on using it as a touring car instead of (just) a track day play toy you might want to consider one with more creature comforts (my Z is a daily and vacation car, so that's what I did). Keep in mind base models have an open diff (you'd probably be replacing the factory VLSD soon enough anyway) but potentially bigger issue is that it doesn't have cruise control - this prevents you from being able to easily switch tuning maps if you decide to use UpRev for your aftermarket tuning.

There's lots of deals to be had on Zs out there now, prices are pretty low, look around and be selective. As always, I recommend avoiding someone else's project car unless you really know that they know what they're doing. There's no reason their headache needs to become your headache.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

Oh, and so you post pics of the TL - How to post pics on NICO using PhotoBucket :)

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”