Newbie looking for help!

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
octee

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, so please point me in the right direction, but I'm considering purchasing the M35 Sport and need your input, expertise and tips.

Let me start by saying I love cars.. I'm one of those women who really enjoys driving, I love to speed and again, really enjoy my cars. I've had 2 different BMW's, the 325 and the Z4 and right now, I'm driving a S60 2.5T.

I test drove the M35 after doing some research. I know that I want the journey and technolgy package on the car, I'd like the twilight blue with graphite/rosewood interior. The dealer I went to didn't have it in stock, which is fine, for now.

So both my husband and I loved the car, the pick up, the ride, the handling, we really were surprised at how wonderful it handled. My problem or rather my issue is that I also really like the BMW 530i. I love the styling of the 5 series and I realize that it's not going to be as fast as the M35 but there's one issue that really bothered me about the M35. The maintenance/service isn't included in the price. I'm accustomed to having cars where this is included. What's the deal on that? Is this just an Infiniti thing?

I guess what I'm really asking is why should I choose the M35 over the 5 series BMW? Price is obviously an issue so I know that I'd save money with the M but what makes the M better than the 5?

Your help is appreciated.

RAGTPZ
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo Convertible, 2010 Infiniti FX50S

Well one of the things that you have to look at when talking about a BMW(and like brands) is that if you really see what BMW charges for maintenance/service, then most people probably wouldn't buy the car in the first place if that wasn't included in the price. To give you an example, a friend of mine has a 325 convertible and went in to get brake pads, yes only brake pads, and was quoted $900 for the job then wait until you have to change a timing belt if needed. It goes on and on from there.

I've known many who have owned BMWs and I always thought they were nice cars until I rode in them. They are not particularly powerful, not very luxurious but do handle nice. Quality wise, I have seen some problems from having to have the entire suspension replaced to engine replacements. Although covered by warranty, those are not problems I would expect to see on a brand new car regardless of the brand. Also, interior room tends to be smaller on the BMWs, not sure on the new 5 series as I have not sat in one.

Now for the M35, the engine is more powerful and that is even with the base model where in the 5 series you have to get an M5 to beat it in the horsepower category. Maintenance is definitely not as expensive as the BMWs although it's not a joy. The interior has nice room, I am 6'3 and fit nice and comfy in both the front and back seats. Although, the handling is not as good as the BMW it definitely adequate. Infiniti has a good reputation of having great build quality as well.

I think it depends on what's really important to you. I think with the costs of maintenance of the M35, you're still getting a better deal and quality...especially if you keep the car beyond it's warranty. If you want the "status" of owning a BMW then you have to keep that in mind. In my opinion, BMW's latest designs are somewhat hum-drum and don't really stick out in my mind as something that turns heads. The Infiniti M-class though is definitely an agressive design and has many people asking, "Oh, what's that?"

Yeah, I'm a little biased on this but I can tell you that I chose against BMWs for those reasons above.

Randy

Oh, and btw, I bet your insurance would be cheaper with the Infiniti as well.

octee

Thanks Randy, I appreciate your help. It's nice to hear that the maintenance on the M shouldn't be that bad.

You are totally right on the interior room on both the 3 and the 5, I felt more cramped in the 5 than the M by far.

Status is an issue but money in my pocket beats that any day.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Welcome to NICO!

If you look at the reviews of the M compared to the BMW, you will be pleasantly surprised. As good (or better, in some views) car for less money - that is the best outcome.

Neither car series is bad, of course, but you simply get more for your money with the M. SOme of the magazine reviews are mentioned in the sticky threads in this forum.

Z

octee

Hi Z,

Thanks for the welcome! I did do some more searching through the forum and found some comparisons that were really useful.

On that note, tell me, what does everyone LOVE about their M and what don't you like?

superjv1080
Car: M45 + FX35

I'm loving the power (M45 - don't test drive it unless you want to buy it ..... mmmm lovin' 335hp) and the DVD-Audio with the Tech package.

The down side right now has been the Bluetooth sound quality. I had come across some setting suggestions and tried them out. Sound improved on both sides. Then I call my brother (we're all on Verizon) and sound was bad on both ends. There are many posts on this issue. But this doesn't cause me to regret the purchase.

As for BMW, my story has to do with a 20yr BMW dad. He's had a 325, a 528 and now an X5. He was with me when I picked up my M a month ago. 2 miles down the road and he said he was very impressed. He told me I should tell my brother to check out the M before buying his planned BMW 3 later this year. I was stunned! He's starting to feel that his beloved BMW company just isn't the same as it used to be.

And check out the press the M has received one of this forum's stickys ( zerothread?id=125885)

octee

Thank you all! I believe I am sold....

I'm working with the dealer now to get the best deal.

ninjaserver

Just to chime in. The biggest draw back I have with the 530xi is the rear leg room. When I drive i drive at the farthest position back, and there is no way that someone , an adult, could be behind me and be comfortable. That should not be the case in a full size luxury sedan. I also didn't like the I drive knob, and find the odd shape arm rest an eye sore. BMW you pay a heck of a lot of money for the logo on the hood, so price is an issue always.

octee

Thanks ninjaserver, I actually felt cramped in the front of the 530i, compared to the M35. I'm not a tall person (5'3") so that shouldn't have been the case but I felt the difference.

I've heard horror stories on the Idrive.. don't think I'm willing to go down that road.

What else do you dislike? My Pro's list is way longer than my cons.

Bugaboo
Car: J30

Look at the car and driver magizine comparsion online. The article(s) you should look at are under 45k and 55k comparsion test. I don't know that exact month, late last year. The 5 series came in third, behind some car call an Acura RL.

Plus consumer reports rated the M35/M45 the best sedan ever tested. This is in the September issue.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Bugaboo wrote:Plus consumer reports rated the M35/M45 the best sedan ever tested. This is in the September issue.
Yes! This was a very strong review indeed!

Z

ninjaserver

Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, Car and Driver and several other top notch review co's have said the M is number one. Not that consumer reports is a big car thing, but, they gave the M a 97 which was WAY higher than any other sedan on the market.I know a lot of people wish their M had power folding side mirrors, auto lock feature, etc. but if you had another car you WOULDNT have the best rear back up camera on the market with the "trajectory" lines, rear amenities up the wazoo, a gorgeous warranty at 100,000 km (60,000 m) , as well as about a thousand other perks. You have to look at option packages and by far the M has the best available to it...IMO.

octee

We actually subscribe to car and driver and we've gone over the 55k comparo review about 50 times. My husband fell in love with the M45 right then and there. It took me a little more convincing... but now I'm hooked.

I LOVE the back up camera... that's one feature that I value greatly, love the bluetooth though I understand it could be better.

All in all, I'm loving the car.. now my problem is that I still have 10 months left on my Volvo lease... eek!

Bugaboo

You can look online to see what the value of the Volvo is at KBB.comCompare it to what your lease buy out is. You might be able to get out of it now with not to much damage to the pocket book.

octee

That's what I'm currently working on... which is frustrating to a certain extent. I've read a lot about being able to buy the car for about 1k over invoice but the dealers here in South Florida are not going for that. I'm getting the big fat run around.

ninjaserver

I have a 2003 Volvo S60 2.4T and there was no value to me in opting out of my lease. Nothing could be worked out although Infiniti first offered to buy out my lease themselves if I bought the M right then.....but then the sales guy found out the sales manager wouldnt let him do it. I wish he would have asked them first, it got my hopes up. So now I will have 3 cars for a while because I'm not taking a hit on the Volvo, plus, I love the Volvo, it's the best car I have ever driven

octee

See that's my issue right now. It doesn't appear to hold any valule for me to do that.. in essence, I'll either pay the remaining of my lease, for the next 10 months or just add that upside down factor to the M and have that hanging over my payments for the next 39-42 months.

I guess my wait will continue. At least I have a lot more feedback and knowledge than I had before.

I'll be back with pics of my new M.. when I get it. Thanks!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

octee, may I ask how you came across our little site?

Thanks

Bugaboo

M35x's are getting a discount of 1,000.00 of sticker in the upper midwest. I don't think you will see near invoice until year end of 2006.

octee

audtatious, I'm a huge forum fan so we googled infiniti m45 forum and here I was. Like the Maxima.. we had one a few years back, one of the best cars we ever had.

Bugaboo, then we got a lot of people telling tall tales all over the edmunds forum and others.

On that note, I was able to get a price on the M35, sport, journey and tech package for a cap cost of 48k. Sound fair? I'm going to wait until November in any event so maybe I'll get a 2007.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

octee wrote:audtatious, I'm a huge forum fan so we googled infiniti m45 forum and here I was. Like the Maxima.. we had one a few years back, one of the best cars we ever had.
Did you find NICO directly or go through the M45forum.com or M35forum.com sites? I'm always trying to make this site easier to find online

Yes, I like the Maxima. Great car. I use it for work travel, so I will keep it until '07, at which time I plan on a M45 myself

Bugaboo

Octee: Edmunds is a privately run site. The dealer and consumer have no input to the numbers. You can see the invoice price, that doesn't mean thats what they sell for. You need to look at the tmv (true market value) this gives you a good idea for your area Infiniti stores.

octee

audtatious, it pulled up Nico directly. Again, it was a google search and I was pretty specific what I was looking for, which helps.

Bugaboo, I think you misunderstood me, on the edmunds forum, I believe it's Inside Line, there are posters there saying they got the car for 1k over invoice. I understand what edmunds is and did look at the tmv, which is why I was surprised that they were getting such a great deal.

m_pilot

As for maintenance, all you're going to need before the warranty expires is oil changes and some filters, including air. The engine is the same as the Altima, so any local garage can do this. I take Mobil 1 plus filter and he charges me $10. I come from Audi, where I had 37 pages of warranty work done. Finishing up my first year for the M, and not even in the shop yet. Long term, you'll be way ahead with the M.

Ted

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

What an AWESOME thread.

This is the kind of stuff I had in mind when we launched our M forums, and it's great to see how useful they've become.

Octee, welcome aboard, can't wait to see pics of your new ride!!!

p.s. Here's one more reason to choose the M over the 5-series: BMW owners WISH they had a place like this to call home!

octee

thanks m_pilot, that's good news. I don't want to have to worry about forking over tons of cash in maintenance costs.

Z, I can't wait either.. although, considering I still have 10 months on my exisiting lease, it'll be a bit before I get pics of my new ride. But worry not, I will have pics up the very same day.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”