Newbie here

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
PathManLE
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hey guys I just picked up a 2001 Pathfinder LE last night with 132k miles. It’s my first Nissan but my 3rd VQ motor (had a G35 and have a G37). The Pathfinder was a one owner garage kept and maintained at a Nissan dealer. From the records he gave me it looks like the radiator, valve cover gaskets, batter and alternator have all been replaced the past couple years. Just wondering what to expect with this truck... I’m thinking of replacing plugs and wires soon. The CD changer also doesn’t work, is there a way to fix it or should I just replace it? Thanks guys

heavy hitter
Car: 2001 QX4

The cd changer is a common issue and isn’t really fixable. The 2001 doesn’t have wires...it’s plugs and coil packs. You need to do the loctite on the powervalves of it hasn’t been done already and check the strut towers and subframe for rust. Also...why was the radiator replaced? These have an issue with the trans cooler in the radiator mixing trans fluid and coolant and causing all kinds of havoc

PathManLE

Thanks for the info, I figured the CD player wouldn’t be fixable. Does anyone know if I can get a new CD changer that looks stock and will fit in the same slot? What are the powervalves? I’m not sure why the radiator was replaced I’ll have to look at the work order again and see if it says anything. It runs and drives perfectly. The heat only comes out hot if I have the temp set to 80-85 so I’m not sure if it’s the thermostat, climate control or heater core...

heavy hitter

2001 have butterfly valves in the intake plenum there is a known issue where they can rattle loose and fall into the motor. They need to be loctite. The heater issue sounds like maybe the resistor

PathManLE

So its been a couple months with the Pathfinder and it has some issues...
My biggest issue seems like a connection issue. Half the speakers will cut out, then all the dash lights start popping on and off then after a couple minutes the lights start going off and the speakers come back on. The battery and alternator were replaced last year and the battery connection seems good, maybe the alternator connection or a loose ground somewhere?
My next big issue is it stalls if I stop too hard. Could be a dirty TB/MAF/IACV?
Next up is the heater issue. It only blows hot air when the temp is on or above 80º. Not a big concern now that it's hot out.
I also have rust on the subframe which it won't pass inspection for here in PA so I'm not sure what I am going to do about that...

Thanks

heavy hitter

Clean the throttle body with cleaner, clean maf with maf cleaner and check resistance on it. Remove the iacv and clean it out really well and replace the iacv gasket...this last one is important so that coolant doesn’t leak into it and fry it and your ecu. Any codes being thrown?

heavy hitter

As for the subframe rust....gonna have to cut it out and patch it

PathManLE

heavy hitter wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:39 am
Clean the throttle body with cleaner, clean maf with maf cleaner and check resistance on it. Remove the iacv and clean it out really well and replace the iacv gasket...this last one is important so that coolant doesn’t leak into it and fry it and your ecu. Any codes being thrown?
Thanks that’s where I was going to start for the stalling issue but I’m more worried about the electrical issue unless you’re saying they could be related to the TB, MAF and IACV? I have no codes, the dash lights don’t stay on long enough for me to check them but I don’t know if I’d believe them anyway since all of them come on then go off. It seems like a connection issue so maybe the alternator connection is loose? I have to check all these things out when I get time.

PathManLE

heavy hitter wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:40 am
As for the subframe rust....gonna have to cut it out and patch it
Is this something a shop could weld fairly easy and cheap you think? Sucks how coming from one state with no inspection it’s legal to drive then bring it to another state and they say it’s a safety concern.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”