Newbie Help

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Prelude

here is my story.i am 23 yrs old and i am looking to buy a car. i live in edmonton canada where it can be very snowy.i am looking for a car with AWD or 4WD. recently i have been search for a WRX or an 00-01 impreza RS. both cars a price reasonably high at around 25-23 and 15-10 respectively. in edmonton there are a few skylines for sale. all are R32 and because i want AWD the GTR is my only choice. this car has to be a daily driver. i was wondering if the Skyline is good for winter driving ( sorry i know this question hurts some people and i am sorry.) is the maintance cost high ? is it a good first car ? is RHD something i should worry about? is insurance easy to get?

there is a company called mines and one of the cars available is tuned by them, is it worth the extra money to get something that they tuned/imported ?

what should i look for when i do my car shopping on the R32 ?

pls help me

PS the skyline has been a dream car of mine.

97ka-t
Car: 1996 Maxima, 1998 Altima

Prelude wrote: is it a good first car ?
Prelude wrote: PS the skyline has been a dream car of mine.
Not trying to be insulting.. but you're 23 and this will be your first car?

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

I would not reccomend it for the use you intend. The car is basically an exotic, not good for winter or first car. just my $.02, use it if you choose.

Prelude

well i have been driving for 6 years, but that was my fathers car when i mean my first car. i mean the first one i personally owned.

PLus i saved my money so i can get a good first car not a beater.

97ka-t
Car: 1996 Maxima, 1998 Altima

themadscientist wrote:I would not reccomend it for the use you intend. The car is basically an exotic, not good for winter or first car. just my $.02, use it if you choose.
Basically he's right. For a first car with snow, get some type of NA AWD or FWD car..

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

nonsense...

Get an R32 GTS-4All Wheel drive with Rb20det. They are a little underpowered for a sports car, but with some snow tires they will make a good winter vehicle. You can upgrade the turbo after you get used to it.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Let me see here.

280PS, LSD's, twin turbo, right hand drive. If this is your first vehicle, I wouldn't recomend it. Getting used to a RHD car is easy if you live where they drive on the left side of the road. Plus, when you own a car like that, you just can't help showing it off. I would hate to hear that you crashed and hurt yourself badly becuase your friend wanted to see what you could do with it. The car can be replaced, you can't. Find a nice used S10 blazer, explorer or other 4x4 truck for the winter. Save the money, gain some experience with hp in small numbers.

The car I have now has an RB20DET and it scares me sometimes when I take a corner and give it a little to much gas.

I guess what I am trying to say is, whatever you get, BE CAREFULL.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”