Newbie 94 Q45

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Death by Mullet
Car: 94 Q45

My mom's freind is selling me her 94 Q45 on friday for $2,000. It has 84 k miles on the car. I don't have much money. What is the cheapest way to increase the power. In other words, what would you do to your car if you had $800? Someone told me that the fuel pump costs over 2 grand, is that true? if so, I probably am getting the wrong car.

mulletman

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

Welcome to NICO!

The Q45 is not a cheap car to own. Even as a DIYer, I have spent nearly $5K in repairs on my silver Q, and close to $2K on the black one. The most reasonable Infiniti as far as maintenance goes, is the I30.

If you have to rely on dealership service, don't get it. Don't even think of another shop. Usually they have very little experience with the Q45.

The fuel pump is less than $300, but takes about 2 to 3 hours to replace. Dealership labor is usuall $95 and hour. If the controller is bad, then that will run a little over $300 more. It could run close to $1200 to replace.

$2k for a 1994 Q with only 84K miles, is a great deal. Expect to put another $5000 in the car to get it running great before you start thinking about go-fast modifications.

There are a lot of service repairs that start around 100K miles.

Think about it, the car cost nearly $50k new. It is only 11 years old. A comparable Lexus will run you $10K to $15K.

Definitely read all the posts here that pertain to the Q45, and spend some time in the Infiniti Online Mechanic forum.

If you only intend to spend $800 in repairs, you might do better to buy the car, and sell it on eBay, then buy an I30.

Get the service records, and a Carfax report on the car.

Jesda

Labor for my fuel pump was $100 at about $50/hr. I did it myself in about 75 minutes.

$2k for that car is steal!

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Death by Mullet wrote: I don't have much money. In other words, what would you do to your car if you had $800?
Save it for the ineveitable deferred maintenance not performed.

To really save money and understand what it takes to keep these cars performing as new, read the previous posts including all by Q45tech (and the links he references). You gat a great deal. Now you get to restore it.

Was the 60K service done? A cursory 60K service costs $800+ done by the dealer. You can do much of it yourself by learning how to here.

96Qowner
Car: 1996 Q45

84K for only $2000 is a great price! You're already a couple grand ahead. Most of the really major costs are off in the future for you. You should flush all fluids and check all suspension components, but you shouldn't have to worry about truly expensive stuff until you're up to 100-120K miles, when hoses and sensors and gaskets will start to see the end of their practical life.

To answer your first question, there isn't much you can or should do to "increase the power". This drivetrain is already engineered to its reasonable maximum, redlining at 6800 with close to 300 HP, unmodified. While you can certainly get another 20-30 horsepower out of the engine (with a JWT modified ECU) for a few hundred, or put in a 4.08 rear end for lots more, you should spend some time driving it to learn what it was made for. This is a highway cruiser, an Autobaun machine with a taught suspension and a top speed of 150 mph. At anything over 40 mph, a Q pretty much owns the road. In town, you'll have to get used to driving a luxury car - nice and polite and comfortable, but not very exciting.

Most of the parts are unique to the Q45, and very few techs have experience working on them, so costs can get a bit higher than you're used to, but it's a quality engineered and built car, very reliable, and an absolute thrill to drive, when you learn that hardly anything can match it on the freeway.

I also recommend that you spend some time with this forum's search engine. There's an amazing amount of information in old posts.

Rex
Car: None

At 84k, the car has lots of life left, but you're about to hit several maintenance/upkeep items that will quickly chew up that $800.

If you do not have $1500 a year to spend on the car after an intial $2000 above the purchase price, just let it pass or know you're going to drive a great car into the ground .

$2k for a fuel pump is a bit high, but most dealers do, fuel pump, control module, filter and tank removal and cleaning. Factor in CA labor rates and it won't take much to get close to that.

Def check the tranny fluid for color and smell, those low miles tell me "city traffic" driving which will create more tranny heat and could put you at risk of replacing the tranny ($2k easy).

Any pics of the car and interior?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Rex wrote:risk of replacing the tranny ($2k easy).
Yes! But that is a low price and only likely if you do it yourself! Labor included at other places will run you between $2,300 (garage shop) to $2,800 (dealer) if you get the transmission from Joe Tsensky ($1,850 with core return, plus $100 shipping, give or take a bit.)

Z

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

Jeff Williams wrote:The most reasonable Infiniti as far as maintenance goes, is the I30.
My G20 is pretty cheap to maintain....

96Qowner
Car: 1996 Q45

My guess is that the tranny will be fine for quite awhile. Is "mom's friend" a woman? If so, I doubt she exercized the tranny much, not a lot of WOT shifts, heheh.

Of course, repair records would be VERY nice to see. If it went to the dealer when it was supposed to, it's probably a gem.

Get the repair history.

sadams
Car: 99 Q45, 97 Ford F250, 98 Dodge GC Sport, 79 MG Midget

96Qowner wrote:... Is "mom's friend" a woman? If so, I doubt she exercized the tranny much, not a lot of WOT shifts, heheh.
Yeah but you may need to check the vanity mirror built in to the sunvisor, they tend to exercise these a lot... and the brakes.

Death by Mullet

Thank you for your reply. You make it sound like this car rocks! The woman I am buying this car from said that she took the car to the dealer for maintanance but not always on time, so who knows how many miles she went over on the oil changes. Do you think I can call the dealer and get the records from them?

Mulletman

Jesda

In California thats going to be hard if she doesnt get the records herself. Some kind of bizarre auto record privacy law there.

Death by Mullet

Thanks for your reply. yes, she said "I just did the 80k mile servise thingie" so who knows. Guess I can just hope for the best.

Mulletman

Rex
Car: None

MattB wrote:My G20 is pretty cheap to maintain....
I was thinking the same thing.

vicQ45
Car: 1979 Cadillac Eldog, 1987 Wagovan, 1968 Firebird 400

Death by Mullet wrote:Thank you for your reply. You make it sound like this car rocks! The woman I am buying this car from said that she took the car to the dealer for maintanance but not always on time, so who knows how many miles she went over on the oil changes. Do you think I can call the dealer and get the records from them?

Mulletman
not alwasy on time can mean a lot of things... beware of hearing that(ask what she means by it). if she doesn't have it on hand, i think only the registered owner can get records from the dealer. see if you can get her to get them for you. with only 84k you're getting a steal. at the least buy it and sell it for more(or better trade for my 91!!!) :-P i'd buy it if i were you, then decide what to do with it afterwards. either way you'll be a winner

Death by Mullet

Rex, thanks man for the info and advice. All I know is what my mom said, that its is a silver Q45 that has only been driven in S.F. and has a broken front side turn signal. When I get it, I will take some pics. You guys are getting me really stoked to get this ride. I didn't realize that this car had so much power to start with.

Thanks agian.Mulletman

sadams

Dude, mine is a love makin' machine. I mean... er... a spiffy ride to work.

On the service record note. I called my local dealers service dept and all he wanted was a VIN # and fax # to send the results. I did a drive by and some quick intro's so they would see the softer side of me, should things ever get, lets just say... stressful. They didn't charge me for the records and didn't ask about ownership or anything. A mechanic happed upon us and gave me some comfort and advise about things that would need to be done and what to look out for. The Service Advisor gave me his card and told me if I bring it to them to work on he would let me drive around in a new M30 while mine was on the rack... FREE OF CHARGE!!!(yeah, right) bottom line, I recommend a visit to your local shop, they want your business after the fact. I don't know CA law but there probably is some privacy rules and of course a tax/fee for the process. We don't do that here in MS, we just tax the smokers, drinkers, and gamblers.

sadams

BTW, that's a hell of a ride for 2G's. I just sold a 92 Honda Accord that smell like a greasy armpit, had no paint on the hood, a pile of broken interior door and window parts laying in the floorboard, standard tranny, mediocre AC, 155K miles, and in dire need of a complete rear brake job for a few hundred less than your machine.... go for it.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”