newb

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
LiU
Car: Cars

Hi I have a 96 240 w/ 90k on it and I'm looking to get a used turbo pretty soon (after I finish all this college app crap).. umm right now I'm running injen cold air, hks dragger.... I have some questions I wanna ask

I'm not a hardcore racing fan so I don't really look forward to boosting the turbo over 7 psi so with that in mind what mods do I need?

fuel pump upgrade? upgrade fuel injectors? do I need an intercooler? do I need a boot controller? or do I need to mess around w/ the ECU settings to get enough fuel injected?

also other questions (I'm a newb)what does a wastegate do? what about the downpipe... and one lat question what's a blowoff valve good for?

drifter
Car: Drifting, cars, etc.

At 7 psi, you should be safe on stock internals, but you can upgrade pistons, cams, etc. if you want...for the fuel pump, use the Walbro one...don't know about injectors...definitely run an intercooler....you can find one pretty cheap at a junkyard.

Don't know the answers to the last questions...ask Daunttless : ).

LiU

yea pretty much every1 has told me that running 6-7 psi on stock motor is gonna be fine... which is what I'm planning to do first... I might do internals later on (I know I'll have a hard time resisting boosting too much)..... umm any1 know how much power running 6-7 psi gives? I heard 210-220 to the wheels?

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

220hp isnt possible with 6-7 psi, sorry to tell youMAYBE with 9-10 on upgraded systems. i have a list of everything you'd need if you want...?

Daunttless

the Nsport kit at 7 psi puts 235rwhp to the ground. : ) Well, supposedly, but it should be right around there. : )

A wastegate bleeds extra pressure so that you don't overboost your turbo. A downpipe connects your manifold to your cat/cat-back. A blowoff valve releases the backflow of air when you shift so that you don't damage your turbo with compressor surge. Compressor surge is allowing the extremely fast moving compressed air to reverse its direction for a split second after it hits the closed wall of the throttle body, and then smashing into your turbo wheel that is spinning in the opposite direction. : )

Most people for the design of their turbo setups look at the prefabbed kits by Nsport and then design from their specifications. Enjoy your day.

huguetpj
Car: 93 KAT Coupe

hey ninja, please post the list or send it to [email protected]

i have a list of my own for my KA-T project, but I'm always open for more suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

LiU

hi Daunttless can you give me a check list of things I need/ need to do for my car if I'm only going to run 6-7 psi? (similar to a stage 1 turbo)intercoolerfuel pump upgradeblow off valvewaste gatedownpipe

I really appreciate all of you guys's help thanks alot

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

Dauntless: on a stock KA24DE motor?

heres a list of everything you should need, think i got everything:-Blow off valve-Intercooler-Multichecker-Turbo timer -New injectors-Fuel pressure regulator-Fuel pump-Intake-Headers-Oil pan gasket-The turbo itself

huguetpj

ninja: sorry about my ignorance, but what is a multichecker?and why do I need a new oil pan gasket?

Thanks for the input.

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

The multichecker and Turbo timer are nessecary needed. A AIR/FUEL gauge is needed, also a A/F Controller would help w/ controlling fuel to make sure you are not leaning out. No header needed :) turbo manifold is though. Oil/Water Lines(to cool the turbo and keep it from locking up). and a downpipe. I think thats about it + with the things ninja said.

You will need a new oil pan gasket, b/c the one you have on their will have to be taken off, because at the top you have to make a oil return area. You have to take it off due to the fact it will be easier to work on and so you can clean the metal shavings out of the bottom of the pan after the drilling.

Also for for oil and coolant lines, its best to use steel braided lines(the ones people use for nitrous kits)

Hope that helped.

huguetpj

Thanks, TrueSlide... now I understand why is it I need and oil pan gasket.

But the other question remains, what is a multichecker? What is it's function?

And I disagree about the Turbo Timer. It is not 100% necessary but really, really recommended. For people on a very tight budget the Turbo Timer could be removed from the list... just be very careful about turning of your vehicle.

Thanks for the input.

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

LOL, sorry I think faster then I type, I meant its not necessary needed, its just good to have.

Sorry :) Thanks for correction!!

LiU

I read in the nsport site that for a stage 1 turbo all you need are

the turboCast iron exhaust manifold:Turbonetics Deltagate wastegate (7psi)DownpipeFront mount intercooler and intercooler pipingBOVFuel PumpFuel Management Unit

I don't really wanna spend $4000 for a stage 1 turbo so I'm actually looking to purchase a used turbo and all the accessories from the classified on this site (not now but after I turn in ALL my college applications and getting my header)...so can anyone gimme a prince range for used parts listed above and how much is it going to be if a pro performance car shop isntalls all the above parts?

huguetpj

but still.... what is MULTICHECKER?

Daunttless

I'll go over everything else later, but I don't really want to go into turbo dynamics right now. : )

Also, I'm not sure if Apexi sells their multichecker anymore, but heres a bit of info on it from the 240sx.org website.

http://www.240sx.org/faq/articles/apex.htm

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”