NewB Shout Out

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
JoRogue-N
Car: '08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Gray/Black Prem/Lthr/MoonRoof/MudGuards/Crossbars

Hello everyone,

Me and the Mrs. (Boss) just picked up our Rogue yesterday.

SL AWD Gotham Gray, tech pkg, lthr, moon roof, mud guards, crossbars.

We used my wife's discount via Nissan's VPP. A couple dealers in my area where willing to deal VPP.

An update on how we chose the Rogue. We had no intentions of buying a new car. Unfortunately me and my son were recently in a car accident (we're ok thank god). Last Sat (10/6) while traveling towards the Jersey shore (Soccer Tourney) @5:30am in heavy fog, I misjudged a bend and ran into a curb head on (scary). My 2000 Saturn SL2 sustained heavy front suspension, transaxle, frame, rt wheel and fender damage (both airbags deployed). The car was totaled (used to work at a body shop) however we were ok.

During the week while the insurance company would soon determine the inevitable, my Boss and I decided that we would look at a small SUV as a replacement. Being we had a Saturn we would consider the new redesigned Vue (she also had the GM employee discount). The Vue was quite impressive in design (influenced by Europe's Opel) and really well put together. The 3.6 V6 is a powerhouse (not the best fuel economy). And it handles very nice (not as nice as the Rogue). Two problems with the Vue: No roof (WTH) and no dark lthr. Two kids + light lthr interior are not the best of combinations. Black lthr is only available on their top line tuner version of the Vue (Red Line). I'll buy a sports car before I'll spend money on a sports SUV (I'll eat these words later...Ha, Ha, Ha). So on I went with my search. Again one of my wife's job perks is employee discounts for GM, Ford, Dodge and Nissan. The only small SUV's I liked from the Americans were the Vue and the Dodge Nitro. My wife's take on the Nitro is that she thinks its something straight out of an episode of MTV Cribs. I liked it (kinda like a poor man's hummer). I've also heard of a lot of reliability issues with the Nitro. So I went to check out the Murano.

They might as well badge the Murano as an Infinity for what they are going for well equipped. Though I probably could have been able to afford a Murano but I really could not justify $6G's for lthr, roof and premium stereo. While checking out the Murano the salesperson tried to sell me on the Rogue so I listened. When he mentioned that it only comes with a four banger I just about laughed in his face. The salesman pleaded with me to take a drive and I gave in. Now I'm a Mustang fan and I've had a few in the past one of which was a Cobra so I kinda know what's a dog and what isn’t. The Rogue I was test driving was an SL AWD (AWD + 4Cyl = instant death from boredom). Upon entering the vehicle I was impressed with the quality and sportiness of the interior. It sure was priced right (even before our discount). I liked the car but was already upset with the impression that it could not get out of it's own way. I started off on my drive and immediately noticed the smoothness of the CVT. I did hear what people refer to the noise which comes from both the engine & CVT (kind of like a whirling noise). It's noticeable but not obtrusive (to me). As I became more comfortable I began using more power. I was quite impressed with the power of this Nissan 4cyl. I took it on some twisties and used the paddle shifters and to my surprise this thing really woke up. Using the paddles maximized the power range and with the ability to down shift it was a sports car like experience. Once I pushed the car I also noticed the amazing handling this thing was able to achieve. The chassis is just right (nice enough for the bumpy's but stiff enough for the twisties). I was a convert and was buying one. I just wasn't buying from this dealer. No colors I wanted and they initially had a $3000 ADM on their Rogue's (crazy). So I go home and tell my wife about the Rogue. I was able to convince her into one after checking one out online.

So I called around for a Gotham Gray with Black Lthr & Roof and found one in S. Jersey. With Nissan's VPP we paid 26.9 with taxes tags and extended warranty (warranty is discounted also for VPP customers). Mind you I now drive her old car an '06 VW Passat Sport Package (late '06 early '07 production) and this car handles incredibly but I can expect that from the VW. I cannot believe the grin I get from driving that freakin' SUV. The power, CVT, Bose, handling and styling (inside and out) really have me smitten. Well at least I get to gas it up for her once a week (He, He, He). I’ll try and get pics up soon...please be patient because I myself am a technical difficulty. This site is great I was also reading the opinions of other owners while considering the Rogue. I think I'm gonna like it here. BTW my name is Rob not Jo. Sorry for my rendition of the Gettysburg address. Later.

Rob

Modified by JoRogue-N at 8:21 PM 10/14/2007

Modified by JoRogue-N at 8:43 PM 10/14/2007
Modified by JoRogue-N at 8:44 PM 10/14/2007

rogueleader1
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

Congrats Rob. Nice choice on the color.

My brother used to live in Levittown, Pa.

What S. Jersey Dealer did you buy from?

Welcome from another newbie Gotham Gray owner.

RL1

amr40509

Good choice.

I had a similar impression. My wife was shopping for a small SUV and the only one's that drove well (I used to spend a lot of time dodging cones on the Auto-X courses and am a sports car guy from way back) were the Rav4 V6 and the VUE. I fully expected to get into the Rogue, and hope out saying it was under powered and we should wait until they eventually stuff a 3.5L in there.

I took it on a country road and test drove though some twisties, then ran it up to about 90 a couple times exiting some long sweepers. It REALLY seemed to have enough power. Nothing to drag race with, but was peppy. The 65-0 full on brake test was nice too, on the dry pavement the ABS just slightly kicked in, but did allow it to get to (and a bit beyond from the slight strips on the road) the traction threshold. Stopped nice and quickly. W/ the AWD a quick double blip downshift into the apex w/ full power on the exit keeps the car planted and dead neutral though the turn.

It's not sports car, but it IS fun.

We ended up buying one, picked it up last weekend (not the one I drove on the test drive). Right now we are still in break in mode, not driving above about 3K RPMS.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Welcome Rob!

What a fantastic review! You are a talented story-teller and auto reviewer. Nice work!

Great to have you on board. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

I'm curious to hear about your fuel milage.. especially since you have a bit of a lead foot it sounds like.

JoRogue-N
Car: '08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Gray/Black Prem/Lthr/MoonRoof/MudGuards/Crossbars

RL1 - ClassicCars Nissan @Mt Holly near Mt Laurel. Gatham Grey all the way dude!

AMR - you're a maniac...I just slaped on some RE71's for a time trial run. JK

Eikon - Thanks for the welcome this site rocks.

FYI...I beat on the one I originally test drove. Mine is being babbied through the breakin process with gradual runs through the powerband. Mobile1 goes in @5K. Peace brothers (& sisters)!

Rob

Return to “Rogue Forum”