New Z owner, what should I do with it?

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

It's been 5+ years since I've had a Nissan project car in the garage... but I'm back :)

I bought a 71 Datsun 240z. I'll have it titled next week and in my garage in a few weeks. Of course I'm already chomping at the bit to start working on it.

This will most likely be a different kind of project for me. I've owned and modified a few 240sx's, a BRZ, a Supra, etc.. My natural desire is to turn it into a resto-mod and make it a combination of pretty and fast. I don't think I can do that with this car. I think I need to just restore this one and keep as a collectible.

I'll share pictures in a few weeks when I get the car (I'll come back and edit this post). For now I'll just give a description of what I bought.

71 240z series 1 car. It has the vents in the rear hatch, the 240z emblems on the rear pillars, the speedo that starts at 20mph, etc.. Vin is 16305. It has the original engine block and a 4 spd manual trans. I didn't see any rust on the car.. I didn't go over it 100%, but the floorboard were solid and the frame-rails were great. (just a little dented from jack stands) It was originally orange, but repainted silver about 15 years ago. The paint is still in great shape. It was originally a california desert car, which explains the clean body (and cracked dash). The interior looks wonderful thanks to a dash cover, but the gauges work and everything seems clean and original. It has the original wheels. The engine started after a few attempts and once it was running sounded great.. not bad for sitting for 3 years. (needs some new fuel obviously). The clutch pedal goes straight to the floor, so it's not driveable yet, but I'll address that right away.

This car will never be a concourse car and will never win any big awards due to the miles, repaint, etc.. But, as a clean, original, series 1 Z, I think it could be worth some money and keep appreciating. Because of this, I think it would be stupid to make any permanent modifications to the car.

I'm happy to make any helpful modification that I can remove later and put back to stock.

So what can I do with this Z to make it look better and drive better, but not harm the value?
-Wheels/tires are a no-brainer because I'll keep he originals and put them back on later. But I have to stick to a combo that will fit under the stock fenders because I'm not cutting them to add flares (as much as I love how they look). I wish a 5 lug conversion was easier.
-If I remove the original struts and springs, can I put them back in later? I'm not sure about this whole oil filled concept. I'm not going to weld in coilovers.. but some performance struts and springs would be nice.
-Do the front chin spoilers simply bolt on? Or do they require any drilling?
-These L motors look so incredibly easy to work on.. It can't take more than a couple hours to pull one right? Any motor swaps that add good hp and bolt in and out easily so that i could return it stock for future sale someday? I've got a spare 2JZ in my garage.. lol. But that would require cutting and hammering the trans tunnel as well as replacing the entire driveline to hold the power. L28et can make 300whp right? Would that require any modifications that could not be reversed?
-How are the stock brakes with some pad upgrades? Will the system take dot4 fluid? As much as I'd like to do stainless lines, I don't want to risk not being able to put the stock lines back on without messing them up. I suppose I could do some slotted rotors as well. I hate drum brakes, but I don't think I want to do a rear conversion.
-Anyone know how collectors view bushing replacements? I'm assuming red urethane bushings would not be well received.. should I do OEM rubber? I haven't fully inspected the ones on the car.. they might already be replaced.

Any other ideas?

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

It sounds like you have found a nice car.

Urethane bushings can be found in both red and black. New old stock bushings would be problematical. If you go with urethane, be sure to lube them well. Many Z owner didn't and suffer eternal squeaks that will not go away unless removed, lubed, and re-installed. Other than that, urethane bushing will tighten up the suspension and improve the driving experience.

Your car was made in December of 1970 and is a true series I car. At that time, Datsun changed models by calendar years, though being a first year of production, many series I parts were left over and were consumed in January 1971. Some January 1971 cars were made of mixed Series I and Series II parts. But this was not the case for your car.

Points to look out for:

The differentials then to have a drone starting around 45 MPH that can be improved by replacing the bearings. The front diff mounts tend to separate at the rubber and cause clunks. There is also a rubber/canvas strap that wraps over the front top of the diff that suffers from failures.

Your clutch problem is most likely a loss of brake fluid as the mechanism is hydraulic. The bigger question is where the fluid leaked out. But after sitting three years????

The car will make a nice driver.

Also Series I cars have no springs in the seat cushions. Rather they have strapping supporting a foam cushion. The strapping may need to be replaced.

The vents in the hatch are often a source of water leaks. Take time to repair the fit/gaskets now before leaving the car out in the rain.

Dash cracks are typical for all series I and II cars and are not an easy repair. It you can live with the dash cap, leave it alone and live the few wrinkles it will show.

Google "Classic Z Cars" for other websites that will have a wealth of information and many experienced owners willing to help.

Enjoy

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

dj, Thanks so much for all the excellent info and advice.

I will definitely look into black urethane bushings and take care to lube them well.
When i get the car and figure out the clutch issue (hopefully just needs fluid) I'll get it out on the road and see how it runs/drives.

My goal is to restore it to stock and keep it as a collectible with limited use as a historical vehicle.. (take it to shows and meets, cruises, etc..)

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”