New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer resigns.

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer said today he is "deeply sorry" that he did not live up to what was expected of him. Spitzer is to resign Monday 3/17/08."When much is given much is expected" he said.

Apparently he was holding out to work some kind of a deal with the government to avoid prosecution for the charges related to his activities with the young ladies.

Although he did violate a public trust, and that of his family, did he overstep the line of what we expect from an elected official? As I understand it, there were no public funds involved, nor were any campaign contributions used in the process. He paid his own way so to speak.

Should he get a pass on this?

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

Everyone is entitled to making mistakes. If he had used public or campaign funds then I would say he should immediately get the axe, but since he didn't, and the fact that he DID violate the public's trust, I think that they should slap him on the wrist because he's not going to get reelected anyway.

Edit: I never heard if he was married or not, I just realized that and assumed he was single. If he was married, then

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I don't think it was just the fact that he paid for sex...wasn't there a money issue too??

Sil40_Mayhem
Car: 1995 240SX 5spd/1992 Integra LS

Oh yeah, he's married alright.

I tend to disagree that he should be slapped on the wrist. As a former attorney general, and then governor, I would not be inclined to think that he didn't know better. According to news articles, he came in politically like a wild-west movie lawman, boldly trumpeting the virtues of lawfulness and right. So, to pretty much come from that position and slap a little *except for me* at the end, it states that he lacks the judgment and intestinal fortitude to occupy that post. For me, it's not a matter of his personal vices. Yes, it's deplorable, but that alone would not be enough for me to want him out of office. It's the fact that what he did was illegal (soliciting a prostitute). He should have carried his monkey a$$ out to Nevada to the 'Cottontail Ranch' if he needed some nondescript, overpriced (legal) booty. That, or just do what tons of other politicians do and get a mistress. Probably cheaper, and definitely 100% more legal.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Whoa! He is (was) the top law enforcement officer in the State of New York and he violated both State and Federal laws. He should definitely be held accountable.

rn79870

Sil40_Mayhem wrote:Oh yeah, he's married alright.

I tend to disagree that he should be slapped on the wrist. As a former attorney general, and then governor, I would not be inclined to think that he didn't know better. According to news articles, he came in politically like a wild-west movie lawman, boldly trumpeting the virtues of lawfulness and right. So, to pretty much come from that position and slap a little Exactly, how often the ones that protest the most have the most to hide.He clearly knew it was illegal, yet he felt that somehow he was above it.

He was married and my heart goes out to his wife, and his 3 teenage daughters. His wife stoeckley stood by him at the podium where he had to admit his errors. She is the victim, not society. She is paying the price.

The problem is that the list of politicians who have done a little nocturnal hunting is getting longer and longer. I'm a little willing to forgive this activity as long as doesn't involve the public paying for it.

confedup
Car: 240sx

I believe there will be more information coming out. From what I heard today, the "mob" (which a lot of them were recently arrested) utilized the same "service". Him doing this sure would open him up for blackmail.

In his career he stood on a moral soapbox and proceeded to bust up prostitution rings and such only to become a hypocrit and use the same services. There is no way he should be able to stay in office.

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

I withdrawl my previous statement, apparently there was a lot more to this than I was aware of. After reading further, agree he needs to be held accountable other than a slap on the wrist. Forgive my mis/uninformed assumptions.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

rn79870 wrote:Although he did violate a public trust, and that of his family, did he overstep the line of what we expect from an elected official? As I understand it, there were no public funds involved, nor were any campaign contributions used in the process. He paid his own way so to speak.

Should he get a pass on this?
I am waiting to see if they link his escapades with the official travel to Washington DC to testify in front of Congress. If they do that, then he will have use of official State funds to soliciate sex with prostitutes.

This is the reason why when we go on business travel they threaten us within an inch of our lives. Because on business travel, we represent the company. Of which we were one of the companies that Spitzer and his successor Cuomo sued.

Sptizer also faces money laundering charges. What will also be interesting to see, is if any of his prostitution cases that he tried as NY AG will be re-opened. We will see.

confedup

I didn't think they had discounted his use of campaign nor public funds yet?

Cold_Zero

When I talk about Official travel, I am talking about travel that the he did while executing the business of the State of New York.

rn79870

The NY AG said they had not come to any decisions in the matter yet. However the news (for what that is worth) was reporting that no funds other than his were used.

I'm not one for prosecuting a guy for visiting a brothel but the law is the law. I'm sure there is a penalty for such an activity and that should apply to Governors and peons alike.

My position is that he shouldn't be allowed to avoid his day in court by resigning. Nor should he he be forced to resign because of his encounter.

It appears that Hillary will loses a super delegate if he does resign.

confedup

The law is the law. We can't simply decide to not obey one without suffering the consequences and he should not either. Prostitution is illegal. He sure can't play dumb about it.

Why should we not hold our elected officials to a higher standard?

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

I'm not certain what his personal dealings have to do with him being a politician? Yeah maybe if he was using public funds for his dealings or lied under oath, but as long as he did neither, what did he do wrong as a politician?

confedup

So I take it you support criminals in office? He has broken the law and not something as simple as speeding. I personally believe in moral values and what he did is not what I would consider moral here in the US.

redtop91

Use of the word moral in politics always amuses me. There is no such thing as a moral politician. There might be relative morality is some so if morals matter so much to you personally, no one would be in office. Although I forgot prostitution is illegal. That escaped my notice.

confedup

Why should politicians not be moral? Not saying they all are, but should we not expect those who are running the US Gov't to have a high-ground as they are directly supporting what is best for the citizens? If he finds that he can break our laws in this aspect, what makes you think he will care about others?

Yes, prostitution is illegal.

Sil40_Mayhem
Car: 1995 240SX 5spd/1992 Integra LS

I think what redtop is saying that it should come as no surprise that, in this day and age, a politician would tout morality while engaging in all manner of immorality. However, I do agree that there should at least be an expectation that we elect people who would do the right thing.

Meh, I'm gonna put my tinfoil cap back on before they hear my thoughts (again).

redtop91

I didn't say that they shouldn't be ideally. I said the facts are they are not. My whole premise is that just because the guy can't keep his d!ck in his pants doesn't mean he's a bad politician. Breaking the law is another matter which like I said before, I had forgotten that soliciting a prostitute is illegal so on that note I see his flaw. But say he had cheated on his wife or something, a plummer can be the most low down dirty cheating SOB ever, I know I can live with that as long as he fixes my plumbing. Same should apply for politicians IMO.

rn79870

confedup wrote:So I take it you support criminals in office? He has broken the law and not something as simple as speeding. I personally believe in moral values and what he did is not what I would consider moral here in the US.
Your opinion seems to be the one the public holds. I'm just questioning how his sins really relate to his ability to be a good Governor to New York. Should he be held to any different standard than you or I would for the same misdemeanor?

On the other hand, I just saw another newscast with his wife standing beside him. She looks like she hasn't slept for a week. What must his three teenage daughters think of him?

confedup

redtop91 wrote:I didn't say that they shouldn't be ideally. I said the facts are they are not. My whole premise is that just because the guy can't keep his d!ck in his pants doesn't mean he's a bad politician. Breaking the law is another matter which like I said before, I had forgotten that soliciting a prostitute is illegal so on that note I see his flaw. But say he had cheated on his wife or something, a plummer can be the most low down dirty cheating SOB ever, I know I can live with that as long as he fixes my plumbing. Same should apply for politicians IMO.
Gotcha, and I pretty much do agree. Altho I personally find that someone cheating is a coward that can't be trusted regardless of breaking the law using a prostitute

confedup

rn79870 wrote:
Your opinion seems to be the one the public holds. I'm just questioning how his sins really relate to his ability to be a good Governor to New York. Should he be held to any different standard than you or I would for the same misdemeanor?
He was on a moral high ground going against prostitution when he was a DA. Now as Gov, he is doing the exact thing he was prosecuting others for doing. Anytime a politician is caught doing something that could impact future decisions then he should be gone. Then again I dislike lobbyists as well so that does follow my principals (as lobbyists can sway a vote just like someone could have swayed his vote by utilizing his misadventures against him).
rn79870 wrote:On the other hand, I just saw another newscast with his wife standing beside him. She looks like she hasn't slept for a week. What must his three teenage daughters think of him?
He is sure not putting forth the image of "family first" and her standing by his side sux too.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

confedup wrote:
He was on a moral high ground going against prostitution when he was a DA. Now as Gov, he is doing the exact thing he was prosecuting others for doing. Anytime a politician is caught doing something that could impact future decisions then he should be gone. Then again I dislike lobbyists as well so that does follow my principals (as lobbyists can sway a vote just like someone could have swayed his vote by utilizing his misadventures against him).

He is sure not putting forth the image of "family first" and her standing by his side sux too.
I believe legally, his main crime is only a misdemeanor. When confronted with the allegation, he didn't lie about it, as other politicians have done. So I'm not sure his offense was impeachable. He is clearly guilty of hypocricy in the first degree as he was a relentless pursuer as DA and one of his targets was prostitution. His reputation is pretty much...blown.

The big quesiton I have is what on earth did she do for him that was worth $4000+.

rn79870

$4300 I think the bill was. Funny thing, they don't seem to care one bit about the other conspirator in the matter. I wonder if she is going to end up with a rap sheet here.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

rn79870 wrote:$4300 I think the bill was. Funny thing, they don't seem to care one bit about the other conspirator in the matter. I wonder if she is going to end up with a rap sheet here.
I predict she'll end up on the Howard Stern Show.

Cold_Zero

Apparently, the rate was $1000 per hour. He has allegedly spent around 80 grand on hookers. Which was one of the reasons why the IRS flagged Spitzer for fear he was being blackmailed.

rn79870

Bubba1 wrote:
I predict she'll end up on the Howard Stern Show.
I saw Private Parts for the first time the other night. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Go Howard.

80 grand on hookers? When there are people starving in Africa?

redtop91

His wife must not put out.

rn79870

Here she is.Would you give up your Governorship for her?Would you drop $4000+ for her.

All I can say is that my imagination was far better than the reality.

Rick Damone Jr

lmfao, typical democrap.

Return to “Politics Etc.”