New wheels and tires on the Z

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

18 x 8 front18 x 9 rear

245/45/18 ZR front285/45/18 ZR rear

Massive load rating. 96 front/103 rear!

Pirelli Directionals all around.

I'll probably go non staggered when these tires run out, hopefully that will reduce the understeer. I thought about not putting these new tires/wheels on, but I am sure happy I did. I have so much more traction in the rear and the front. The Z feels much more planted, and overall more confident when cruising in a straight line.

I'll post some pics up tomorrow. I love these OZ wheels, they look great on the Z.

What tire size do you guys recommend for an 18 x 8 front and 18 x 9 rear.. Hopefully non staggered.. Is 35 the right diam to go with?

350zQ45a

Oh yea when the mechanic pulled off the OEM wheels with new OEM tires (3,000 miles old) the inside wear was more then apparent. The inside was basically bald..

Totally sucks.. Going in for an alignment on saturday, don't want these pirellis to meet the same fate.

Maybe with different wheels/tires and new shocks/springs or coilovers this problem will not be so bothersome.

I was thinking the nismo shocks and springs, but they are the same price as many coilovers..

So far I'm thinking for suspension:

350evo sway bar seteither nismo shocks/springs or a pair of coilovers

Any recommendations? I really want to get rid of the bounce in the oem suspension, and I've been told that aftermarket equipment will smooth out the ride, and improve the handling

I also remember hearing that doing a non computerized alignment is better, if you can find a shop that does it the old school way.. I was thinking the Nissan dealer, but if it's worth it, I wouldn't mind spending the time to find a shop that does it by hand..

Any thoughts?

hatebobbarker
Car: 350z, 240sx(for sale)

i run Zeal coilovers and swear by them, they are amazing!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

post up pics dammit Ryan!!!

Do they feel much heavier?? They have to be heavier than OEMs but is it feelable.. I know when I put my summer wheels on my Q i could feel a slight difference..... Not worth the look and handling

350zQ45a

Just got the car cleaned. Going to do an alignment, then the pics baby.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Ryan:

Rememebr what Scott said, if the alignment is <perfect> spot on it will make the problem go away.

According to him one reason problems often persist is tech align to specs rather than spot on.

Apparently spot on includes some extra work they dont really get paid for..

Fred....

PalmerWMD

PS: Koni Yellows are supposed to do <really> well for 350Z according to SportZ magazine.

350zQ45a

Palmer,

I'm taking it to a well respected alignment shop on thursday. I originally had an appointment with the dealer, but they are just a PITA. I tell them I have a rough idle, he proceeds to explain they won't fix anything they can't detect.. So if it won't throw a code, I'm screwed, unless I argue with them to keep the car until it idles strange. Then he tells me feathering doesn't occur on 2004s..

I was so annoyed, I just cancelled the appointment

I'm looking into the Konis.. Bilstein also has an option for the Z. I thnk I want something not quite as hardcore as full coilovers. This is an extreme daily driver..

I'm thinking:

350evo swayskonis/bilsteins/?? some spring that doesn't lower the car much

I remember reading nismo was optimal because it lowered the car just enough where you didn't need to pick up any camber kits to toy with the suspension..

1,600 for shocks and springs, that seems a little excessive

Any recommendations for a good street/occasional track pad for non brembo Z? Again, I'm thinking the nismo, if I don't find anything else..

PalmerWMD

Ryan,

The idle problmes is a tough one and dealers get little or no rembrusemtn BUT some dealers will still go out of their way to fix it.

See this thread: zerothread?id=105020Of course in many cases it turned out to be coils or even injectors, or sometimes simply poor grounds..

hatebobbarker
Car: 350z, 240sx(for sale)

350zQ45a wrote:Palmer,

I'm taking it to a well respected alignment shop on thursday. I originally had an appointment with the dealer, but they are just a PITA. I tell them I have a rough idle, he proceeds to explain they won't fix anything they can't detect.. So if it won't throw a code, I'm screwed, unless I argue with them to keep the car until it idles strange. Then he tells me feathering doesn't occur on 2004s..

I was so annoyed, I just cancelled the appointment

I'm looking into the Konis.. Bilstein also has an option for the Z. I thnk I want something not quite as hardcore as full coilovers. This is an extreme daily driver..

I'm thinking:

350evo swayskonis/bilsteins/?? some spring that doesn't lower the car much

I remember reading nismo was optimal because it lowered the car just enough where you didn't need to pick up any camber kits to toy with the suspension..

1,600 for shocks and springs, that seems a little excessive

Any recommendations for a good street/occasional track pad for non brembo Z? Again, I'm thinking the nismo, if I don't find anything else..
endless brake pads have become the staple for my friends and I.

1600 isnt bad for suspension, go for it.

PalmerWMD

Ryan,

I would think twice about any lowering as the front suspension is non adjustable at all not even a littl;e w/o a kit.

A couple of sponsors sell front and rear camber kits ( the rear one also helps with dragging)

Hawk are known good pads for our cars.Also SS lines with Valvoline SynPower DOT 3/4 fluid ( my next Mod)

Fred..

350zQ45a

Fred,

I have to give you some props. I was reading grassroots motorsports magazine, and they recommended the synpower for the same reasons you do.

You the man!

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”