New Versa, my impression

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
muskrat

Now before I start off I have to admit that I'm a little bias since I had a Kia Spectra before this so I know that there can be no real comparison between the two. However, I do own a 2002 Honda Odyssey so I can at least judge proper ride comfort. Also, I've only had this car for 1 day and realize that that is not proper judgement time. I'll give another post in a month to see if this holds true.

Overall impression is a nice comfterable ride. The front seats have a nice feel that conforms to my body and the head restraint is actually pleasant to rest my head. The interior is very spacious and I've had a couple of co-workers who are 6'+ fit in my backseat without any issues. Also, I can note that I'm able to put in my baby carseat (rear facing) and my daughters boosterseat and have room for someone to fit in the middle if they really wanted to be between a 6 year old and a 1 year old.

The convience package also was very comforting and paired nicely with my Blackberry phone and took all commands that I made without issue. I was able to speak my numbers and names and so far have not had the system dial the wrong number. However, I have had an issue when I turn my car on it needs to pair with the phone over again. This may be just an option that I need to set. Driving is stiff and responsinve and the car allowed little drift in high winds. Breaking is also quick and allowed for little drift even when I was almost rear ended. I was able to quickly break without skidding and then let go and reaply so the person behind me (who wasn't paying attention) didn't hit me.

Overall in one day I've recieved plenty of looks and even a question from someone interested in replacing his SUV.

Now some quick negatives....

Cup holders in the front console are in the wrong place. I don't think this was an afterthought so much as a design issue. I shouldn't have to be in drive to reach my coffee. This isn't so much as a knock on the car as it's a very minor issue.

The suspension in the rear needs to be worked on. I've read some others hear talking about hitting small bumps and have an almost bottom out feeling. I've yet to feel that but I can still feel a stiff drop when I go over a bump. This of course could probably be fixed with some aftermarket stuff but I think engineers should've tried this car on NYC roads for a real shock test. I personally recommend the Belt parkway but the Long Island Expressway would be just as good.

I hope this gives some a better impression of the car. I'm sure that the professional car reviewers would give a more detailed report but hearing a review from an actual owner would be a better idea as to wha to expect.

Return to “Versa General Chat”