New to the site

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
Ricky@3rdshift

Ok Just a brief about me:

32 year old male, Minitrucker , loves old minis, Partner of 3rdshiftkustoms.com, married 3 kids, 1st truck was a 76 Chevy Luv.

Ok on to it

I am looking at buying a 70 model 521. I have seen picture of the truck only , and have talked to a guy that owned it a year ago or so. It apperars to be solid body and suspension wise. Acording to the owner now it has a coolant leak somewhere near the head, but doesn't believe its a head gasket.  This problem I believe I can take care of even if it is a head gasket.

I was just wondering if there are any particular issues with these trucks that I should look for. I plan on using it as my daily driver while fixing it up some. It is factory blue with black steelies with a small lowering job on the suspension.

Thnaks for any info.

Ricky@3rdshift

Here is a pic if it loads

phiz

[user=437]Ricky@3rdshift[/user] wrote: [quote]I was just wondering if there are any particular issues with these trucks that I should look for. I plan on using it as my daily driver while fixing it up some. [/quote]
Pretty sweet rig.

There is the usual issues with oldies like rust. Fuel line / tank rust is not uncommon with more neglected ones. Relitively easy fix, though. The stock Hitachi fishbowl carburator is an easy rebuild. Single point distributor is easier to deal with than my 620's dual point. Keep it tuned and you wont have backfire woes. The 521 is still my favorite everyday, "fun to drive" small truck. The only thing that I didn't care for on my 521's was the single circut brake system. Hard braking took some stratigic evasive planning at times. Usually, I just crossed my fingers. It's like that with most drum brake set-up's I suppose.

I had a Luv truck once, too. My dashboard caught fire.  After a few minutes, the rest of it caught fire as well. The switch to Datsun was the wisest choice I ever made. Clearly the most dependable, easy to work on, and the most entertainment value for your driving dollar.

You need this truck.;)

~phiz

phiz

[user=437]Ricky@3rdshift[/user] wrote: [quote]Partner of 3rdshiftkustoms.com[/quote]
LoL...Just checked out yer website.

You don't need advice, you have a fab shop. If it's broke, just make the part!

Ricky@3rdshift

Well I checked it out tonight and I didn't even make an offer on it. It has possibly a cracked head. Basically it is eithere leaking watter form the heater core fitting on the head or the actual head  where it threads in its self.

It has beed beat on quite a bit more than the picture shows.  It would need a new bed, hood, drivers fender at least, plus a bumper, and valence for the front to get the body even close to straight.  That is if I could veen find straight parts.

h wants 500 for it, and I figured its probably wirth 200 or so to me, so I didn't even try I already have a project that needs a lot of engine work.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”