New to the nissan pickup

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
GWgiest
Car: past cars "1987 mazda 626, 1968 vw bug, 1973 mercury monterey", now car is a 1988 mazda 626

hello all,

i am purchasing a 1985 pickup "std cab, long bed, 2x4" and have no clue about it.

from what i hear from friends, it has the z24 carburated engine, carburation is not new to me but the application era is.

i would eventualy like to swap the old motor for possibly a ka24de, vq30 or vg30.

any info on thies types of trucks would be much appreciated

NISTECH

You have an 8 plug system in it. The trucks model designation is 720. The only engine offered in that truck is the Z24 engine.valves are adjustable on that engine so recommend you get that done. Freshen up the cap and rotor if it hasent been done yet. It takes 2 types of plugs, on the intake side it takes BPR6's and on the exhust it takes BPR5's if you have anything other then NGK's in it recommend you swap them out with some NGK's. Its ok to run all 5's in it. Wouldnt recommend running all 6's. The Fuel is controled in the carb by a mixture solonoid, not all uncommon for those things to go out. Also you have 2 coils make sure you have your exhuast coil and intake coils properly hooked to the cap or you could suffer some stumbling on accel and surging at cruise speeds.

Installing any other engine will take a bit of work. you will likely be pioneering the expidition into a swap with one of the engines mentioned.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”