New to the club! 2014 QX80 DIY Maintenance

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
zba2a
Car: Infiniti QX80

Hey everyone! I just bought my first QX80! I have been looking at them for a while, and I finally decided to pull the trigger. I am going through it and doing some diy maintenance. I have changed both differentials with Mobil 1 75w90 synthetic. I am looking to do the transfer case as well, but I saw that the Nissan transfer case fluid is $100 per quart. I know this is a luxury vehicle, but $100 a quart?! I saw a replacement for the ATX90A fluid from Ravenol. It is called Ravenol TF-0870, and it is about a quarter of the price. Anyone have experience with the transfer case fluid?

I also noticed the manual says the 7 speed transmission is "maintenance free." I know the transmission holds 18 quarts and it has a great cooling system (considering heat is the biggest killer to transmission fluid), but it is hard for me to believe Nissan does not want the transmission messed with. I have had horrible luck with Chevrolet transmissions in the past, and I do not want to have problems with Infiniti ones as well. I look forward to hearing from you!

Zach

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

How many miles are on it?

zba2a

PetitFrereArmada

As for maintenance on your QX, I did mine and have some pictures to share. Click on my link below...
http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showth ... 441&page=4

Yes, that transfer case fluid cost that crazy price of $100. I saw that Ravenol when I was looking for fluid to buy and I asked some questions about it and nobody could shed some light. So, I had to buy the oem one and did my transfer case. See my thread and pictures.

If you end up buying the Ravenol, let me know. I may buy that when next I plan to change the transfer case fluid again.

zba2a

@petitfrere how did the road trip go?

PetitFrereArmada

zba2a wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:18 pm
@petitfrere how did the road trip go?
My trip was EPIC. Enjoyed every bit of it. 25 days through 18 US states and 4 Canadian provinces and covering exactly 9,100 miles. Met some awesome complete strangers who welcomed me and treated me great. One forum member who lives in Canada invited me over. I went there and met his family. Him and his wife bbqed for us and had gifts for us. Well, we also had gifts for them. We met them first time in our lives. And I don't know if we will ever meet them again. But we spent about 3 hours with them and it was memorable. He made BBq for us, while his wife prepared what we had with the bbq. He gave me a detailed tour of his house, taking me through every single room. We met his kids, and ate some really great food.

Then it goes without saying that I put my QX through what it has never experienced in its life. While I showed it love by washing it 6 times on my whole trip, I also abused that QX on the long drives and on the mountainous offroad terrains in Colorado. I took my QX to places where everybody who saw it said they could not believe their eyes. Also, the way I had my QX dressed with stickers, I received so many compliments and had tons of random people take picturesof my car that they have never seen a a QX like that and asked what kind of group I belonged to and what occasion was it. Well, the QX is back from its trip and it is time for me to take off all the stickers and my QX now blends in with all others.

Yeah, my QX is the first QX to go on Imogene Pass, Blackbear Pass and Ophir Pass. Google those passes to read about them. When I got to the top of the pass, I met Jeeps with some 4Runners. All lifted with big tires. But my stock QX made it. Well, my QX decided that it will always remember this trip by getting a few battle scars from the trail. But I would not trade the experience for nothing. And on my way down the trail, I bypassed over 40 FJCruisers who could not believe their eyes. Some of which our doors were next to each other as we passed by each other and I had 5 different drivers stick their hands out to give me a fist bump. And each time they said great job man. All the time, my QX in 4Lo as I slowly but surely went down the super rocky and terrible terrain on Imogene Pass.

My QX took me on the trip and brought me back home and took it all in like a day's work. This trip was so memorable because it is my longest road trip till date, I met many great people and also I do not know I will every have time to do such long trip again.

You can read and see picture of my trip on my blog on the expedition forum where I always post my long trips.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threa ... es)/page12

Now is time for me to cleanup my QX. Change fluids, air and cabin filters and do some other maintenance stuffs. It is just sitting in my garage now while I am using my trustworthy Nissan Maxima. The most reliable car I have ever owned. At 217,000 miles now, car cranks like new and is as fast as my QX. Awesome car. Till death do us part for me and this Maxima.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

If interested I have a K&N drop in filter for sale. If you'd like to have a reusable one instead of the cost of replacing them often.

Trip sounds cool.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”