New to Nico and got a few questions..

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
wearurpjs
Car: 92 Nissan Sentra Se-R & 98 Eagle Talon Tsi

This is actually my first post on this forum. Im picking up a 1992 Nissan Sentra se-r. The engine is in good shape but needs a lil waxin on the body. I bought this car as a beater but now I want to swap an sr20det but I dont know which one. I currently own a 98 eagle talon tsi which is a great car but I wanna work on something different and more unique. My freind actually had a 93 b13 se-r with a sr20det swap in it. Let me tell you that car pulled. The only mods it had were intake, exhaust, jdm starion intercooler, and a 300zx fuel pump and prolly something else that I dont know. It made my talon feel so slow. The pull on that car was insane. I do realize that sr20det and 2nd gens do share the same turbo but it was amazing how big of a difference the sentra pulled. I actually took out a earlier year corvette out by like 5 cars. I even upgraded my turbo on the talon to a forced performance big28 with the right supporting mods on my talon but still couldnt compare to the se-r. I am a sr20de noob. Sr20de do come with lsd right? My freinds sentra se-r cam timing went bad and bent all the pistons and needed a brand new engine which is currently working. I am currently putting all my money on the sentra and wish to swap a new engine by spring.these are my questions?Are there any free mods for the sr20de?Any common problems with sr20de or t?What transmission to put to prevent the 5th gear pop out?What are the difference between jdm and usdm engines besides the jdm having a turbo?K thats about it fer now I guess.thanks!

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Welcome! You have come to the right place and I have alot info stored in my head. But searching will be alot easier and you can gather ALL the information you need. But since you are new, I will briefly answer a few of your questions.

Timing advance is very good free mod, probably 5-7whp. Should be @ 15* factory setting, you can bump it up to 18-19* as long as you run 91 or higher octane.

Not many common problems with the motor in general, just keep the oil changed religiously and @ proper level and the DE will last forever, if it hasn't already been abused. I would go with a full out tune up, since you have no idea how the previous owner took care of the car, plugs, distributor cap/rotor button, fuel filter. The timing chain tensioner could possibly need changing depending on mileage. A cold start up and you hear the chain rattle until pressure is built, then it needs replacing. Maybe the valve cover gasket to, does it leak?

95-97 tranny from 200sx se-r, 5th gear pop was not an issue. 91-94 se-r's have LSD, some 200sx's don't.

Most JDM motors don't have all that emissions crap like EGR, JDM SR20DET is either a bluebird, Avenir or GTiR. Bluebird 8:5:1 compression, T25, 370inj, Top mount Intercooler. Avenir is similar to the bluebird except it is newer, doesn't come with a TMIC, FMIC must be purchased, Ball Bearing T25. GTiR, whole different animal and more complicated to tune and find parts for. T28, 444inj, huge TMIC, quad throttle bodies and 8:3:1 compression ratio. All SR20DET's come with piston oil squirters as well. USDM SR20DE, 9:5:1 compression, no piston oil squirters, emissions is a definate.

You are comparing a light sentra to a heavy talon, therefore power to weight is completely different. The swap is pretty straight forward, but will cost anywhere from 3-5K depending on who completes the swap. Sounds like you need to do alot more research before you jump in with both feet. Gotta crawl before you can walk.

Here's a good start: http://nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=40393You should browse and search alot in the SR forum(transverse section)

Happy searching!!

wearurpjs

Wow thanks for all the info. The head gasket did leak but the previous owner changed the valve cover gasket. As for plugs and wires which one would you reccommend, ngk (copper or platinum) ? Well as for the timing advance I dont think im going to do that untill I get the swap or if its even needed. Im in college right now and I just want to save some money by putting 87 gas instead of premium. I hope the fuel filter is easy change on this car because on my talon that was a PITA but it did help with the hesitation I got. I know this sounds kind of tacky but which oil you think I should use castrol start up oil (it just came out) or high mileage oil. well as for the engine swap I might just go with a bluebird since thats the most common and probably. thats not coming untill spring. thanks for the link!-pj

silkk
Car: 94 B13, 89 S13, 07 S2000

Good luck and post pictures!

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Nice to see another good car that's going to get the treatment id deserves.

We all love to see pics!

wearurpjs

Well thanks for the good welcome. Oh ya I got a black 1992 Nissan Sentra se-r with 180,000 miles on the body and previous owner replaced the motor but dont know how many miles.The Bad.Well Ill post pics after I wash it but I really doubt that the car will look any better since the paint is still good. I bought the car for a 1500 dollars which I think isnt bad. Theres a little rust on both rear wheel well or some people call it the cancer spot. Also theres some rust inside the inner door panel on both sides which looks pretty bad and some door sag. I can tell the door sags when I open it. The good.Well the engine runs pretty strong. The clutch feels pretty hard compare to my dsm. Is the clutch supposed to be stiff? But none the less the car shifts perfect and very smooth. No pop out in 5th gear and no grinding. A/c blows ice cold and sun roof works also. Brakes are good and so is the power steering. I bought this car as a beater but Im loving it more everyday and one day I hope it gets a bluebird engine. I want to give it a full tune up. Change the oil and filter, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, and distributor cap. If im missing anytthing please let me know. well ill try to post pics tomorrow.thanks!-pj
Modified by wearurpjs at 8:18 PM 10/26/2004

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

You can run platinum or copper plugs, all depends on how much you want to spend. Most say go with the factory platinum plugs. If not, get some NGK BKR6E. I have discovered local motorcycle shops carry these plugs. The fuel filter is a cake walk. Located by the master cylinder. If the clutch feels stiff, you might need a new clutch cable. The 1.8l 200sx clutch cable seems to get the job done and costs around $15 at your local pep boys. Around here anyway.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”