New to me 1983 Nissan 720 King Cab 4x4 Z24

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
MrShawn305
Car: 1983 Nissan 720 King Cab 4x4 Z24

So I have never really been a big import guy, my daily driver is a Ram 1500 with a Hemi and I love it. But long story short, I had some equipment for sale and a guy offered this to me as a trade and I had been wanting a 4x4 for a while :)

A little about the truck, its an '83 4x4 king cab with the 2.4 liter 8 spark plug engine pretty much stock except for 33" tires. So far all I have done to it is replace spark plug wires after taking it off road and nearly stalling out in a mud hole. The wires were done for, one of the coil wires had arced almost totally. Today I received a new rad cap, distributor cap, spark plugs, coolant hoses, oil filter and oil, air filter and wiper blades from Rockauto.com. After reading some posts on here, I will order a new fuel filter as well. I started working on vac lines as some are old and rotted, and I'm not convinced they are all routed properly. After replacing the plug wires last week, I took it out off road for a day through mud holes, up hills and down desert roads. It did great, didn't give me a hint of trouble. I totally fell in love with this thing, I find myself leaving work in a hurry just to go for a drive in it. The last couple of days, though, it started acting up. I'm not asking for help at this point, as I still have to change all the parts I ordered which are really just PM anyway. That might fix the issue. But anyway, it starts cold just fine even though the choke seems to be open all the time but it seems like after I drive it for about 15 mins or so, it loses power and start to buck and I basically have to idle home. I'm kind of curious if anyone else has this problem.

I will say however, I came into this truck knowing it would be a project and as such, I would love to hear any suggestions or tips that might save me a headache. I have been told to get a weber carb, but I would be just fine with the stock one as long as I can get it running correctly and reliably. I just don't really have the money to spend on that "just because". Hopefully tomorrow I can finish work early and spend some time installing all the new parts I got, as well as pick up a fuel filter on the way home.

MrShawn305

So after most of the afternoon and evening working on the truck, I got everything except the radiator hoses installed. I did not stop to pick up a fuel filter, the joys of being forgetful. Anyway, I changed everything out and worked on alot of vac lines and it made a huge difference in the way it ran, but it still lost power after a while and stalled out. I pulled the fuel lines off the pump and filter (aftermarket from last owner) and back flushed everything with compressed air and brake cleaner. Put it all back together and it runs like a new truck! Although something strange happened during all of this. After I fixed the vac lines I noticed my brakes started working really well. Then they started dragging really bad and wouldn't disengage. I got home and bled the calipers and pulled the vac line. Replaced the line and it seems fine now. They work crappy again but they're not locked up now, and they do just fine for me. I love this truck!

MrShawn305

So I just took it wheeling, it did excellent. Had more power than I remember and didn't give me one hint of trouble. All of the walk through style posts that you all put up have been a huge help. There are a million and one things this truck still needs done, but if it's at least running right, that's a good first step.

MrShawn305

Ok so I have a question for you guys. I mentioned in an earlier post that my brakes had become stuck. Well today they got stuck again. I can't seem to find any rhyme or reason why they stick. They seem to do it randomly once in a while. Today I parked it at a business, waiting for a wrench and didn't set the parking brake because I assumed it wouldn't roll. About an hour later my buddy says my truck is rolling away and I looked outside and sure enough the brakes had released and it rolled. I cooled the rotors with light spray of water and and noticed both fronts were hot, so it wasn't limited to one caliper. Anyone have any ideas what could be happening? I don't really have the money to be throwing parts at it right now, I've already spent quite a bit on PM

Return to “Datsun 720”