New to forum. Gen'l VQ oiling ?s

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
IndySkies
Car: 1996 Maxima GXE 5-sp (build 6/95). Stock exc for 15x6.5 alloys.

Greetings. Have reviewed the stickies and have a FSM pdf, but a few questions re a recently inherited 1996 Max 5-sp w/97k miles and known maintenance history from new. FWIW I'm comfortable assembling engines but leave machining, welding and gearboxes to others.

1. Manual gives oil pressure readings for idle and 3000 rpm, but I can't find any indication at what oil temp the test is done...or if it makes any difference since I haven't hooked up gauge yet?

2. Has minor oil drool from pax side of engine (1-3 drops overnight/100 miles, usually off large bolts at back of crossmember). Consumption <1 cup per 5000 miles best I can measure, never any smoke, can't see much of back side or rear valve cover and I'm having trouble tracing the source(s) post-cleaning. So...

Are there any typical/well-known leak points (VC gaskets, timing chain cover--outer or inner, oil pressure switch, front main, etc.?

Level of difficulty and any special tools required if it needs a front main, or timing chain cover "behind" the chains? If you had to go that far, what preventative would you do while in there (water pump, check oil pump, etc.)?

TIA for any assistance.
IS

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”