New to Datsuns and need help identifying something please

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
JamesM1
Car: 1982 Datsun 720

Hello everyone...

If this is the wrong place for this, I do apologize, as I am new and easily confused. :chuckle:

I stumbled onto your forums by accident in my quest to find information that I was seeking, and by accident, I found an image that hopefully can explain my troubles.

The image is from this site, and from this thread: vacuum-line-removal-t556957.html

I picked up this 1982 Datsun 720 standard 2wd truck, and it is leaking anti-freeze from up under this manifold looking thing (I don't know what it is called). As near as I have been able to determine, there is some kind of tee connector/plug that is threaded into the underside of this unit, and it splits to the right and connects to the "y" off of the gooseneck from the water pump to the radiator.

The other part of the threaded tee is connected to what I believe is the heater hose that goes off to the left and into the firewall. :gotme

I've no idea as to what is leaking, be it the threaded fitting, or a hole in the hose, bu me being unable to tell the parts guys and girls what it is called, they cannot help me over the phone, and before I go and try to remove everything, I would like to be able to identify the part(s), so that I can call it in and see if they can order them for me.

Hopefully, someone can help and provide an answer for me.

I thank you in advance for any reply/help.

James

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

Welcome aboard, James! Glad you found your way to the 720 forums. Hopefully someone here will guide you the right direction.

Glad to have you as part of the crew!

JamesM1

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I was just told by another that the manifold thing that I was asking about, is indeed the intake manifold. :facepalm:

I've not worked on a Datsun before so it didn't occur to me that it would be what it is. :facepalm:

Now if I can find out the name of the threaded fitting that is located underneath, I can try and order it.

It's not called the heater hose fitting as the guy at the shop said it was a single outlet and not a tee. :confused:

James

Eddie92
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

HI James, the only part I can think of that is threaded right under the intake manifold i's the PCV Valve. Do you happen to have a closer picture of it? However I don't think that'll cause a leak in your coolant, it'll cause it to stall and rough idle, but no coolant runs through it. . Sound more like your manifold seal or a hose is bad. The manifold has a cooling system that passes the coolant through it. I'll see if I can get you a picture of one tomorrow.

JamesM1

Hi eddie.

Thank you for your response and help. I stumbled upon an image of what I believe the part is:

This image is not from my truck, but one that I stumbled on and believe it to be the same part. One part has the heater hose connected to it that leads into the firewall, and the other end has the hose that goes to the radiator housing that comes out of the water pump/engine that is "Y" shaped and branches off to the radiator.

I know it is not the heater hose fitting as I replaced that already and that part came out of the block and went into the firewall and looks like this:

So, I don't know what this new busted part is called, but it looks like the heater hose fitting, but has two flared outlets instead of just one, and appears to be threaded into the underside of the intake manifold.

I thank you for any response, and your help is appreciated.

Thank you.

James

Datzbruh
Car: 1982 Datsun 720 KC

I have the same issue!! I cant figure out what its called, but I was thinking maybe you can just take it off, plug it, and run the heater hose straight to the water neck on the engine? I don't know how important it is for the intake manifold. I'm thinking the intake manifold should be ok without it...?

Gr8Guyn08
Car: 1983 Nissan 720 4X4 Sport Truck

I know this is an old post, but:

James you are correct that this "T" fitting is part of the cooling system. It screws into the bottom of the intake manifold. One side of the "T" goes to the lower radiator hose outlet on the engine. The other side of the "T" goes to one side of the heater core. The other side of the heater core goes to a fitting on the side of the engine block.

I do not know what this "T" fitting is called and from the parts diagrams that I have been able to find it does not show up in the pictures or parts lists for either the intake manifold or cooling system sections. Long time Nissan dealer parts departments may still have their parts catalogs around be able to identify the name and part number. There is a possibility that they may even have one still sitting on a shelf back in a dark corner of the parts department.

I just had this same coolant leak on my 1983 720. It took me a week to find what was actually leaking as the most likely suspect would be a hose had spit. But what I finally found was that the "T" that goes to the radiator outlet had a pin hole rusted through. I repaired (sealed) the hole with some JB Weld epoxy.

Gr8Guyn08

Okay, I have been able to identify the part on the bottom if the intake manifold. It is called a "connector - manifold" in the parts list and the Nissan part number is 14075-W0401.

Gr8Guyn08

To Datzbruh: I would not take the fitting out and plug the hole. This fitting is part of the head cooling loop.

Return to “Datsun 720”