New to All of This Please Help!!!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
JustMaxin96

Ok I currently own a 96 Maxima SE 5-speed. I have all the bolt on mods. Place racing cold air, Y-pipe stillen exhaust UDP, KYB AGX'S coilovers body kit.. you know all the good stuff. Lately I have been considering selling the Max and getting a 95-98 240 and a SR20DET.

Is this a hard swap to do from a KA to an SR? how much does a low mile SR20DET go for? What about to get one installed? What is exactly involved.. do I need new axels, motor mounts ECU, Trans and everything? Is there any places to get everything all in one for releativly cheap? God I have soooo many questions and I dont even know if I am in the right forum. Please bare with me and try to help me out. :D

Thanks a lot!!

Jason

PS- I live in northern, VA.. the only Nissan shop I know of out here is Datsun Dynamics off of Rt.7

I H8 UR DSM

http://www.heavythrottle.com has a lot of the basic questions answered in their FAQ, i suggest reading up a bit there.

also the search function on this board will help you with a lot of the groundwork that you should know.

JustMaxin96

Thanks for the reply this site is very similar to maxima.org, I have been a member there for 2 years. I should have known about the search and the FAQ's.

Please keep some answers coming.. such as which is the easiest mechanical SR20 to swap in and things like that or your opinion on keeping or selling the max. Thanks a lot guys and gals.

Daunttless

You can click the link in my profile, its got some prices and info there. Also, you can try heavy as Jesse said, Unstable Hybrids also offers a lot. Mostly just look around teh boards, theres a lot of info here. : ) Enjoy your day!

I H8 UR DSM

search the advanced forum at http://www.freshalloy.com

JustMaxin96

Where is your shop located ? I just got off the phone w/ heavy throttle and they are talking close to 6K for the swap!!What is a midnight SR20 how is that different from a redtop? Thanks a lot man!!

Daunttless

We're in Iowa. Its not any different from a normal Redtop, its just a Redtop from us. The Midnight is there to designate that it is one of our motorsets. While we will install motors bought by other people, we don't provide any guarantees with them. : )

I H8 UR DSM

midnight sr20's are eeeevil:devil

he he, just sounds scary, lol.

I H8 UR DSM

You'll see that midnights motors will be more inexpensive, Daunttless new business hasn't been around as long as HT so the prices aren't jacked up, get them while they are at a good price, someday he'll realize he can charge $300 more like everyone else, and make a profit:patriot .:D

Like everyother business, compitition is a good thing, and their prices will be very competitive:ylsuper

Daunttless

heh, yeah, one of these days I'll get some sense knocked into me....it looks like my cost on the engines will be going up. : (

JustMaxin96

OK well thanks for your answers..I wonder how long it would take for me to get to Iowa from Northern, VA??

Do you have everything that is needed to install? ie: intercooler, fuel pump, downpipe, new clutch?

Also is there anything I should be aware of when buying a 95-98 240? thanks for all of your help I think that this community is as helpful as all the people on Maxima.org!!:D

Thanks,Jason

Daunttless

Yeah, I'll be stocking a full line of performance parts as well. : ) I would imagine it woudl take about 17 hours, but I could be completely off. : )

JustMaxin96

Damn thats pretty far.. do you have S15 motors? the ones with the VTC? is there any problems associated with the VTC system in the SR20's? For the VG30 maxima motors there was problems with the VTC causing ticking noises and such.

IS a S15 swap more costly than a redtop? other than the motor itself? Excuse me if my motor names are incorrect, I am new to this.

Thanks again!!

I H8 UR DSM

it will probrobly be more costly because the wiring difficulties, unless daunttless has a secret : )

thats just a guess though, maybe the same price, but i doubt it...

Daunttless

http://www.midnight-motorsports.net/engines.html

http://www.midnight-motorsports.net/swaps.html

Both the S14 and S15 motors have VTC. However, most people rip it out as soon as they start tuning the car. The S15 has a 6 speed tranny and you won't find help from anyone if you try to do wiring yourself. The S14 I think theres a few diagrams floating around, but the wiring is difficult on that as well, unless you buy a S14 then it clicks right in.

The Redtop is the S13 SR20, it has no VTC.

Daunttless

My install price on them is the same. : )

JustMaxin96

Oh.. What I meant to say was is the S14 WAY more complicated in the wiring than a S13? I dont want to mess with that expensive S15 w/ the 6-speed tranny. Why would one rip out the VTC? it seems like a great system to me? Thanks again I know these are irritating questions.... I hear similar questions form all the newb. maxima owners also:D

Daunttless

If you're going to do any serious tuning, the vtc system is a burden rather than a blessing. The S13 => S13 wiring is fine, S14 => S14 wiring is fine, the S13 => S14 wiring is more difficult, the S14 => S13 wiring is more difficult, the S15 => anything wiring is difficult. : )

JustMaxin96

An S14 chasis is a 95-98 right? So doing an S14 swap into a S14 chasis would just be more costly and less effective than putting an S13 motor into a S14 chasis? I think I am learning master!!

maybe..:help

Daunttless

Heh, a S14 motor costs more, but you get a better turbo and supposedly better cams right off the bat. You can push more power with it stock than you can with the S13. Wiring is a bit more difficult to put a S13 SR20 into a S14 240SX ( yes, 95-98 ) whereas putting a S14 engine into a S14 240SX would make the wiring a bit easier. Of course, the wiring for any of them isn't that attrocious, the S15 is the only pain.

As far as being more costly, the S14 motor costs another 1000 dollars off the get go, and if you don't plan on modifying much it would be your better option. However, if you plan on heavily modifying that 1000 dollars will get you a front mount intercooler at least for your S13. : ) And when they're modified, do not take this as a quote, they're pretty much all the same anyways. : )

JustMaxin96

Ok wow your are great man!! So the easiest install would be an S14 into a 95-98 240? correct? What about a radiator? heavy throttle said I would need to upgrade my radiator and thermostat? That just did not seem correct to me.. since I believe you can keep you original radiator.

Daunttless

Well, I believe most of mine will be coming with radiators, they are literally getting pulled out of running cars, so we'll see. Also, you don't NEED to upgrade it, you can use the stock unit. But if you live anywhere where it gets hot the additional cooling is important. The JDM radiator isn't that much better than the 240 radiator, a lot of people go with aftermarkets like KOYOs, but they're about 300 bucks. : ) Just depends on what you want to do.

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”