New to 350z, but BIG ISSUES

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
racingfortheson
Car: 2003 350z

Been working on car for a week, and I have no spark. Yes, I have searched the forum. Quick run through.
2003 350z manual 177k miles K&N intake
Car has no spark but can smell gas in exhaust, had codes for "Bank 1 Cam Position Sensor" replaced all sensors, twice. Just to make sure they where good. Then went to check wiring. Have power to sensors, have ground and continuity to ECM plug. Then checked power and ground to coils. Still no spark but P0340 kept randomly popping up. So after 2 days I ordered new ECM. Installed and programmed Key with my scanner. P0340 popped up again, I looked at Sensors to see I didn't plug in all the way 🤦‍♂️. Plugged in and still no spark. Next I replaced IPDM as I have ruled out everything else. Still no spark 😭. Oil Gage was showing maxed out, so I replace the sending unit on it just to make sure. Still no spark. At this time I am getting no codes and whatsoever, still have no spark, can still smell exhaust fumes have gas. What am I missing here?

mrwrolguy
Car: 2004 White 350z Touring Edition

gas in the exhaust will kill your cats first off.... so dont run it long unless your going test pipes and it does not matter... Check your IPDM as the trigger for the coils route through the IPDM from the ECM... from my history with no spark cranks no spark... It was the trigger signal from the ecm and a bad IPDM. I was able to repair my car... sent the ECM off too SIA electronic repair cost me 100 bux seller/repair service is on ebay. and purchased a replacement IPDM off ebay for 85 bux... the IPDM are year model specific. I also built my own Consult 3 unit too trouble shoot my car.... you can get the instructions here you will need a old PC 32 bit running windows xp or windows 7 only and the following links Nissan Consult III+ 46.11, 46.20, 46.30 https://mega.nz/#F!k85EFYIb!jQCPVCX-XSawOJb0fNaOCg also the OBD2 adapter here VAS5054A with Nissan Consult+ as Passthru
https://mega.nz/#!W5MXwADJ!X6YitZpeWaSx ... iot7HfVBho Good Luck and enjoy your project. :wavey:

You will also have too make a crossover cable for the OBD2 as one wire needs too be swapped its in the instructions.. :dblthumb:

racingfortheson
Car: 2003 350z

Problem solved! Time chain guides were worn so much it told computer to kill spark. New timing set and drove it around all day 🤘🤘🤘

mrwrolguy
Car: 2004 White 350z Touring Edition

racingfortheson wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:15 pm
Problem solved! Time chain guides were worn so much it told computer to kill spark. New timing set and drove it around all day 🤘🤘🤘

:dblthumb: Good Job... that had too be a sloppy chain.... usually when they are that loose.... they rattle like a mofo.. Glad ya got it going.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”