New Recall on 2018 Rogue Hybrid

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
howie411
Car: 2018 Rogue Hybrid

Just got a notice in the mail about a recall on my 2018 Nissan Rogue Hybrid.

Description of Recall:
Nissan North America, Inc. (Nissan) is recalling certain 2017-2019 Rogue Hybrid vehicles. The hydraulic brake booster assembly may overheat internally, resulting in a loss of power brake assist. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 135, "Light Vehicle Brake Systems."

The best part was where it says, "What Nissan Will do". - The final remedy for this recall is anticipated to be available in October 2022. When the final remedy is available Nissan will send you a second letter asking you to bring your vehicle to a Nissan dealership for repair, which will be free of charge for parts and labor.

Ok so they sent me a recall notice 3 days before October to tell me my break may not work correctly and they won't have a fix till next month...... Thanks Nissan. Last Rogue hybrid Recall it took multiple calls and emails to Nissan and almost a year to get done. Good thing they made less then 6000 of these Rogues....

@Jab011
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue Hybrid

Have you heard any follow up regarding this recall? I am planning a big trip soon and want to get my 2017 Rogue Hybrid fixed ASAP but I haven't gotten any second letter about a fix. Any information from contacting Nissan?

howie411

Nope, but seeing how it took almost a year to get them to do the last recall on my Hybrid I'm not holding my breath.

excel_novice
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV Hybrid

i vaguely remember Indiana Jones say something like...Brakes. Why did it have to be brakes?
anyway, the update from the NHTSA is....

Remedy

Dealers will replace the hydraulic brake booster supply unit, free of charge. Interim Owner notification letters were mailed September 22, 2022. A second letter will be mailed October 31, 2022. Nissan's number for this recall is R22A6.

edit...i was just on the sight looking for details, and heres what's happening.

Due to the low heat capacity of the motor, certain driving conditions such as repeated
brake application (stop and go traffic) combined with high temperatures in the engine
room, can cause the brush temperature to increase inside the motor pump housing. If the
temperature exceeds the allowable range, lubricity deteriorates which can cause sparking
due to brush and commutator chatter that results in abnormal commutator wear.

This abnormal wear may lead to brush vibration, causing the pigtail to bend repeatedly and
disconnect, leading to a decrease in brake assist output. If brake assist output drops below
a predetermined level, the red brake system warning indicator will illuminate and the driver
will receive an audible buzzer. If the driver continues to operate the vehicle, the driver may
begin to experience a change in brake pedal travel and feel, and increased pedal effort.
Although the vehicle braking system will continue to function, the brake assist output may
not meet certain performance requirements specified in S7.5 and S7.6 of FMVSS 135; Light
vehicle brake systems. Reduced brake assist may result in increased stopping distance,
which can increase the risk of a crash.

howie411

Yep, just got my second letter in the mail today. Said the service could take 3 1/2 hours. I'm actually buying a new car at the end of the month (so trading my Hybrid Rogue in) so I'll let someone else deal with it.

excel_novice
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV Hybrid

Congrats on the new car.
buying a new car in 2022 was my plan too, but i couldn't get the make/model i wanted at MSRP or below. i can wait til the 2023 models.

how many miles did you end up with on your Odometer and EV Odometer? i have 37,000 miles on the Odometer and the EV odometer shows 11,500 of my miles were in EV mode. i have been happy with both Nissan and the hybrid. how was your experience?

howie411

excel_novice wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:20 pm
Congrats on the new car.
buying a new car in 2022 was my plan too, but i couldn't get the make/model i wanted at MSRP or below. i can wait til the 2023 models.

how many miles did you end up with on your Odometer and EV Odometer? i have 37,000 miles on the Odometer and the EV odometer shows 11,500 of my miles were in EV mode. i have been happy with both Nissan and the hybrid. how was your experience?

I had 42k miles on it, had just put on new tires in July (bought 4 cheap ones for $650. Carmax offered 22k which was really good in my opinion, but I got the dealership to give me 23k for it which almost nulled out the stupid 1250 markup they charged. I ended up getting an Ioniq5 Limited. I really liked the Nissan but to be honest there was no need for it to be a Hybrid, I believe it only got 5 miles better then the regular model and I found the engine was on 90% of the time, I couldn't even make it through a stop light without kicking on, compared to all other hybrids I've owned that would stay in Electric at a light. Nissan doesn't have the best track record for Hybrids, they did a Rogue, Murano, Pathfinder and Altima and I don't think any model lasted more then 2-3 years.

Was also able to cancel my extended warranty and get $250 back on it, I used it once which saved me $900 so all said and done it evened out the cost of it.

Return to “Rogue Forum”