New racing series: NASA Spec Z

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
dmuramoto
Car: 350Z street, 350Z GT3 and T3 racecars, Versa HB and Infiniti G37xS sedan

This is a series Nissan Sport is examining with great interest:

February 1, 2012 5:00 AM — (NAPA VALLEY, CA) - The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to announce the creation of the new Spec Z series that will feature the Nissan 350Z®. The Spec Z class will include all trim levels of the popular 2003-2008 Nissan 350Z in a single class focused...

...on close competition, parity and cost containment that will showcase driving ability and car setup skills.

The NASA Spec Z class will offer a comprehensive contingency prize program that will reward both Regional and National Championship competitors. Nissan Motorsports will provide significant support for the series, and their contingency prize program provides cash rewards up to $850 for the top 3 finishers at each regional competition weekend with only 3 starters being required for the program to take effect. Additionally, Nissan Motorsports will provide $6,500 in cash support to the top Spec Z finishers at the 2012 NASA Championships.

The BF Goodrich R1 tire will be the control tire for the Spec Z class, and BFG has also created a generous contingency prize program for the series. More contingency prize programs for the Spec Z class are being finalized for the series and will be announced shortly.

"We are very excited about Spec Z,” said Jeremy Croiset, NASA Director of Sponsorship. “We have been working closely with Nissan Motorsports on the creation of Spec Z, and it will be an excellent series for anyone looking to step into a spec vehicle that’s fast and relatively inexpensive to build, maintain and race. With the fantastic contingency prize programs that are being provided for Spec Z, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a more rewarding spec series to race in. We look forward to watching Spec Z grow and flourish in the coming years as more racers adopt this new formula.”

Ron Stukenberg, Senior Manager, Motorsports Marketing Communications, Nissan North America agrees, and adds, “NASA has a proven track record of growing classes from the ground up, so we are excited to be working with NASA on the new Spec Z series. We have a number of competitors already expressing interest in the series, so the potential for this series is very strong indeed. With our Nissan Motorsports Competition Parts Program and comprehensive contingency prize programs, we are looking to make this a strong offering for those interested in stepping into a very competitive spec series racing the iconic Z car.”

For complete details on the new series rules, please visit http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.
For details on the newly announced contingency programs for the Spec Z series, please visit http://www.nasaproracing.com/contingency.

dmuramoto

After a season spent converting Project 350Z T2 over to Spec Z, this Nissan Sport project car has won the NASA Rocky Mountain Divisional title. In a little over 10 days, the plan is to head to the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (near Lexington, OH) to contest the first NASA National Championship for Spec Z. The four day event is scheduled from September 6-9th.

If there are any NICO members in the Ohio area who want to attend the 2012 NASA Nationals and root on the #7 Nissan Sport entry, let me know! I have FOUR crew passes that are currently unassigned and will get you into the track for FREE. Available on a first come, first served basis- must e-mail me at: [email protected] if interested.

dmuramoto

Looks like my first crew "guest" at the NASA Nationals will be Clark Crawford of Crawford Z Car Service. Still three spots left if any NICO members want to come and spectate. The Spec Z race itself will be held Sunday (9/9/12) before lunch.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Wished I was closer.

dmuramoto

I'm sorry to announce that I'm withdrawing from the 2012 NASA Nationals. My younger brother has stage IV brain CA and his condition continues to decline. After visiting him in hospice yesterday, I decided the best thing is to be here with him and my sister in Colorado.

But I still want to see at least seven Spec Zs start the first Spec Z National Championship race, so I’m transferring my entry over to Clark Crawford (who's already raced and qualified in Spec Z) out of Nashville to fill the #7 spot. Will Faules, NASA National Event Manager already has been informed and has approved the change. Clark also needs tires, so I’m trying to make arrangements to transport the mounted BFGs (yeah- the ones I’ve been saving all season) for Clark’s use.

I can assure everyone that Nissan Sport Magazine will cover this race as well as the development of Spec Z in the future. I’m just sorry I won’t be dicing with everybody this time out.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”