New QX50 Steering Failure

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
aggie92
Car: Infiniti QX50

Hi all. I am wondering if anyone has had any similar problem with their QX50.

I bought my 2019 QX50 Thanksgiving weekend 2018. All the bells and whistle and pretty much my dream car. At the end of February, I was driving out of town for a conference and had barely gotten out of my neighborhood when my steering went out - not technically but it was like losing power steering, you could turn the wheel with some muscle and a lot of caution. Warning lights went on in every screen on the dash. I called the dealership and with extreme caution drove straight there. They gave me a loaner and I was on my merry way. The dealership had turned it off and left it overnight. When they started it to get it up on the rack, the warning lights were gone and it was just fine. Nothing logged any problem in the software. I had taken photos of the dash and sent them to my service advisor. After keeping my car for a week, they couldn't find anything and I got it back. I was instructed that if it ever happened again, tell them not to turn it off.

Move forward to April. Hubs and I were running weekend errands and again, just barely out of our neighborhood, it happened again. This time he was in the car with me so he saw it all. We drove straight to the dealership, and they immediately got it up on the rack. This time, though they couldn't figure it out, they replaced the steering rack. They had it for a week and a half.

Last Monday, I was heading to work and again, just out of my neighborhood, it happened for the third time. I again drove it straight to the dealership. They have now had it almost two weeks :confused: and they still have no clue. I am meeting with a head tech from Nissan next week when he comes to see if he can figure it out. I have asked for a Lemon Law buyback as steering is a pretty critical function but we won't know anything until after the tech next week does his deal.

So far, it has happened at speeds under 40 miles an hour but I am horrified that it may happen again at 70 when I have a lot less reaction time. At this point, it is my safety, the safety of any passengers and other drivers at risk. I don't know of many things that have as much of a safety concern as steering (along with braking of course).

Has anyone had any problems or heard of any problem like this on this model? These vehicles aren't inexpensive so I am hoping Nissan/Infiniti does the right thing without me having to file a complaint with the state and national agencies that monitor this sort of thing. If anyone has had any similar problems, I would be interested to know. Sorry the post is so long but thanks for any thoughts.

Bocatrip

Absolutely try pursuing the lemon law option. Considering today's car's systems are almost 100% controlled electronically (example: drive by wire, electronic steering, etc), phantom electronics that interfere with steering is of great concern. I have not heard of your problem, but considering the revised QX50 is a completely new version, I'd be concerned as well. I'd file a claim with Infiniti Consumer Affairs and start your paper trail now. Infiniti can be difficult to deal with. Hopefully you have a good relationship with the dealer's service manager and or owner. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Don't settle for something so serious.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

You're one of the few members here who own the redesigned QX50, so unfortunately there won't be much information in this forum about the newer model. Infiniti did have problems early on with the steering system electronics in the Q50 sedan, but I'm pretty sure those have all been addressed.

If you're not familiar with the lemon laws in your state, definitely start finding out what they are. Where I live, I think if the car isn't fixed on the third try for the same problem, or if it spends a total of over 30 days in the shop, then it qualifies as a lemon.

Like Bocatrip mentioned, having a good relationship with the dealership should help things. I think they'd be more inclined to argue your case if there's some pushback from the manufacturer. Good luck and please update us on what happens.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”