New Q50 Review / Let's talk steering feel

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
Musk_Ox
Car: BMW e90

Hi everyone,

To give you a little background, I'm currently driving a BMW e90. It's been good to me, alas I have to move to something with an automatic because the wife doesn't drive stick. I don't like the new BMW F30, and I've otherwise been partial to Infinitis, so I'm seriously considering the Q50. I've been largely excited about it, but then I read this review http://carmatcher.com/blog/review-2014-infiniti-q50/ and they really panned the steering. I find steering feel to be quite crucial. I'll obviously have to get the Q50 out for a test drive, but I wanted to see what you all thought about the steering feel.

Many thanks.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Greetings,

I was once in the same boat...mrs not interested in driving stick and I'm not patient enough of a teacher.

I've had an opportunity to drive several of these as part of the new car check in process. Nothing track worthy but as a tech junkie and car guy well....I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't see what it could do (within reason of course :))

If you are thinking of getting a Q50 with the DAS (Direct Adaptive Steering) system you've got to keep in mind that there is no direct connection (when the engine is running) between the wheels and the steering wheel. The feel is similar to what you would expect but (as some reviewers have mentioned) it is not a bmw. But in the context of what the car is doing (IMO) it is pretty cool technology. The system does not transmit tire vibrations or a few other tire wear related concerns common amount sport sedans. Having the ability to change not just steering feel, but steering gear ratio and personalize it to a specific driver profile. (The profile is linked to but not requiring a key to operate, there is a prompt when the AV computer boots).

bentrod
Car: 2014 Q50 AWD and 2003 G35

I have driven 900 miles in my Q50. At first, I did not know what to think of the steering and did it even work as stated? As time progressed I realized the subtle beauty of this new technology. It's not going to turn in a gymkana. but on the highway it's wonderful. I wish I had this feature when I was drinkin", I know not funny. I am amazed how many changes were made to this model. I've owned five "G's" and now the "Q". The "InTouch" technology is a joke right now as they did something very un-Infiniti like by releasing the car when the software was not yet ready. I know it will be corrected and there are ways to backdoor your Pandora etc.

My dealership is pathetic! The Service Managers tell you nothing more than they've been too busy to learn about the Q50 and if you have a tech question, go ask you to go to the sales department. The only thing I do not like about the car is that you cannot buy it without run-flat tires, IMHO they suck! I can't wait to put a set of real tires on it. I hope INFINITI learned a lesson and trains their techs better when they release this type of new technology.

So far, I'm very happy with the car.

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

bentrod wrote:I have driven 900 miles in my Q50. At first, I did not know what to think of the steering and did it even work as stated? As time progressed I realized the subtle beauty of this new technology. It's not going to turn in a gymkana. but on the highway it's wonderful. I wish I had this feature when I was drinkin", I know not funny. I am amazed how many changes were made to this model. I've owned five "G's" and now the "Q". The "InTouch" technology is a joke right now as they did something very un-Infiniti like by releasing the car when the software was not yet ready. I know it will be corrected and there are ways to backdoor your Pandora etc.

My dealership is pathetic! The Service Managers tell you nothing more than they've been too busy to learn about the Q50 and if you have a tech question, go ask you to go to the sales department. The only thing I do not like about the car is that you cannot buy it without run-flat tires, IMHO they suck! I can't wait to put a set of real tires on it. I hope INFINITI learned a lesson and trains their techs better when they release this type of new technology.

So far, I'm very happy with the car.
software updates are due this month, i have had a loaner Q50 and it drives really nice so I ordered one, due soon. :dblthumb:

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”