New, Please Help

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Cubink

Hey whats up people I'm looking to buy a 98 240sx and I want to ask a few questions. Ok I want to get sr20det swap so I went to a website and did some research and the people at the website said that the engine wasn't meant for street use cuz it wasn't smog legal. Is this true? If it is where can I get a street legal one. If it can't be done what other mods can I do inorder to get some good power and also drive it daily.

Thanks for your time.:D

Daunttless

The engines are illegal. Period.

The only place it matters is where you have smog/emissions/stringent standards. IE its not "illegal" in Iowa because I can't get caught. In reality, it is still illegal, it just doesn't matter because we have no standards and no way of getting caught so we don't care. Theres lots of threads about this under emissions.

You can't make it legal, it will pass the sniffer with a cat and everything, but thats it, it fails everything else. You can't buy a legal version of it.

For mods, you may wish to search, its been discused a number of times.

Enjoy your day.

Daunttless

Also, I'd suggest buying your SR20 from someone reputable so that you don't have any costly replacements, repairs, or parts hunting.

The three most reliable would be Unstable, Heavy, or myself, you may wish to look into that as well, ours cost a bit more but you know you are getting quality. You may wish to do a search on that as well, enjoy your day.

Cubink

It is better to go wit the stock engine and mod it or go wit the sr20det. Ohh and the 240sx is the s14 right? remember I'm new.

Daunttless

The 95-98 240SX is the S14. You may wish to read the FAQs we have in the general forum. Also, which engine is better is another topic that has been discussed a lot, you may wish to try searching for it. Everyone has their own opinion on the matter.

Cubink

thanks alot bro, One more question is the 98 240sx twin cam?

Daunttless

The 89-90 are single overhead cam KA24E.

The 91-98 are dual overhead cam KA24DEs.

This is also in the FAQ. : )

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”