New owner with 2 questions - xterra

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
elunden
Car: 2005 Nissan Xterra

Bought a 2005 Xterra 4-wheel. Warrenty runs out this summer and I want to ensure all is Kosher with the rig. Everything seems alright ... except the smell. When stopping the car their is a very noticable sulfer smell. Dealership claims it is the gas and cold weather. Nothing to worry about. I'm only running Texaco gas, so it isn't the cheapo stuff. Do I believe these guys? Any advice (or similar experience) would help when I go back down to talk to these guys.

Second question: Looking to buy a small travel trailer. What weight will the rig tow without seriuosly stressing the motor? Also want something that I can bring up in the hills over some pretty nasty terrain. Any advice (models, etc.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.Eric

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

Some cars will give off that smell as they drive ( Have you sniffed the air when a newer car takes off from the lights in front of you?) The sulphur smell that you are experiencing is indeed normal and may go away if you get fuel from another location. (Maybe try filling up somewhere else and see if it makes a difference). My 2004 Quest stinks up the garage when my wife fills up at a Shell in our area. If I fill up at a Shell in the south end of the city the smell goes away.

Gas at the pumps can come from just about any number of oil refineries, so the gas you buy this week may have come from a MOBIL plant and next month it could from a CONOCO one. They all refine their fuels pretty much the same but there can be subtle differences that will be more odorous than others. My father hauled fuel for 20 years and that's what he told me just last year when we were talking about how some cars stink and others don't.

As far as the tow capacity of the 4.0L in the 2005 Xterra they claim a 6000 pound max tow capacity. Which is rated at a much lower speed than is practical for highway trips.

If you stick close the 2000 - 2500 pound mark ( which is a loaded weight by the way) you will be fine. You may want to consider installing trailer brakes as well just for that extra level of safety.

It would suck going down a steep hill and have your Xterra's brakes get too hot trying to stop a loaded trailer and SUV. (Heat buildup leades to BRAKE FADE which can lead to EVENTUAL BRAKE FAILURE).

elunden

Many thanks. You have NO idea how much better I feel hearing that the smell is not a huge problem. It's really been bothering me. Also appreciate the advice on the trailer. Thank you Big-Bird !elunden

leroy
Car: 2006 Titan SE King cab

I just traded my 05 Xterra SE in for a Titan but I towed my 4000 pound (actual weight with water and gear) 20 foot travel trailer all last summer with no problems. The trailer was a tandem axle with brakes and I used a weight Dist. hitch setup. One week long trip I took through the Rockies was in 35 degree weather (95 F) up extreme inclines and was about a 1500km trip went very well. The SUV struggled at times up the steep grades but did better than I expected. Even averaged 13mpg! Normal towing is just fine 105km/h no problem, just tow in 4th. Overall it was a good tow vehicle but my new Titan can fit my quad in the back!

elunden

That's the sort of trailer info I was looking for. Since the models we are looking at all range between 2200-2800 lbs, I think I'll be alright. Thanks

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

I always like to tow less weight as a trailer load so I usually stick the lighter varieties myself. But if someone has been towing 4000 with no issues, except a slight lag on the hills then you at least have a wider weight range to choose from.

But still invest in the trailer brakes. You will be glad you did.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”