New owner couple question's 86 kingcab

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
damn
Car: 1986 Nissan 720 z24, Automatic trans

I got an 86 Kingcab with the z24 carb and it has some interesting problems i need help with.

First is the secondary larger carb barrel is not opening at all during driving and the truck hesitates real bad at part throttle and wide open throttle im not sure if this is because that barrel isnt opening...Isnt the barrel supposed to open manually?

Ive replaced the fuel filter and all plug's and wires are new along with the distributor cap and both coil's.

Second major problem is when driving on the highway and then coming back into town and driving at a lower speed the truck has a very high idle! It only goes back to normal after the truck has cooled off.

Third problem is my sensor light in the dash is on??? Now what sensor should i be looking at? And there is a relay that is making a very annoying buzzing sound from the passenger side floorboard up in the dash of the truck.

Forth problem the torsen bar on the driver's side is making alot of noises while driving the truck was lowered when i bought it and i had it lifted back up and then the torsen bar started making funny clanking noises when driving around.

Ok final problem is i cant feel the tranny shift into 4th gear at all this is an auto 4-speed tranny right? Anything i should look at all the other gears work pretty good.Sorry for all the question's ive been reading this forum for awhile now and i need to get some straighter answer's! I need to smog this truck here in cali and then i can get a better carb to throw on.
Modified by damn at 12:44 AM 10/13/2009

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

1. yes the secondary should open up on its own. the problem is that a lot of the secondaries in the old trucks like to seize up over time...

2. i would check the vac lines... mine did something similar to this when the vac lines were bad so start there (they should all be replaced anyway)

3. sensor light is for the o2 sensor... it automatically turns on at 100,000mi... i have no idea how to turn it off so i just disconnected it after putting in the new sensor

4. my driver side bar makes a little bit of noise as well. i've gone under there and made sure that everything is ok and it is. just get under there and check it out to be sure

5. i know nothing of the auto trannys in these trucks... but i think i heard once that it may only be a 3 speed for the 720's... not sure so hopefully someone else knows the answer for ya

WELCOME!

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

What is the model No. If its a 5N71B then the tranny suffered from heat. check the oil. It should be burgundy in color and have no prevalent smell. If it smells burnt you got a lot of problems. An overhaul would be necessary. After 4th goes, it doesn't take long for Drive to go, so the sooner you attend to it the better. You may need to check the ECU for the tranny also. If its a 4N71B, you'll need to have the overdrive clutch drum checked.

damn

PEZi720 wrote:1. yes the secondary should open up on its own. the problem is that a lot of the secondaries in the old trucks like to seize up over time...

2. i would check the vac lines... mine did something similar to this when the vac lines were bad so start there (they should all be replaced anyway)

3. sensor light is for the o2 sensor... it automatically turns on at 100,000mi... i have no idea how to turn it off so i just disconnected it after putting in the new sensor

4. my driver side bar makes a little bit of noise as well. i've gone under there and made sure that everything is ok and it is. just get under there and check it out to be sure

5. i know nothing of the auto trannys in these trucks... but i think i heard once that it may only be a 3 speed for the 720's... not sure so hopefully someone else knows the answer for ya

WELCOME!
Thank's! Ok all vac lines are currently replaced found a couple that were switched around and plugged into places they werent supposed to go,also replaced the o2 sensor today. The secondary barrel open's if i turn the shaft by hand and the diaphram is in like new condition but it still doesnt want to open?
flinterman2000 wrote:What is the model No. If its a 5N71B then the tranny suffered from heat. check the oil. It should be burgundy in color and have no prevalent smell. If it smells burnt you got a lot of problems. An overhaul would be necessary. After 4th goes, it doesn't take long for Drive to go, so the sooner you attend to it the better. You may need to check the ECU for the tranny also. If its a 4N71B, you'll need to have the overdrive clutch drum checked.
Thank's it's pouring raining out here right now! But as soon as it let's up i will check the number's for you they are located inside the hood on the passenger side right? Also the tranny fluid was new when i bought the truck..I added some LUCAS stop slip/leak to it today to see what that does for it.

I will also get some pic's up soon.

PEZi

damn wrote:The secondary barrel open's if i turn the shaft by hand and the diaphram is in like new condition but it still doesnt want to open?
hmmm... maybe open it up and see if all the linkage is connected

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

The number I talked about would not be on the tag in the engine bay. Its cast on the body of the tranny. When you look at the tranny, does it have the section after the bellhousing that looks like cast iron, or is the entire housing looking like aluminum?

per84720
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

damn wrote:Third problem is my sensor light in the dash is on??? Now what sensor should i be looking at? And there is a relay that is making a very annoying buzzing sound from the passenger side floorboard up in the dash of the truck.Modified by damn at 12:44 AM 10/13/2009
Hey man i have an automatic too. Today i barely started it and i have that sensor too and that annoying buzzing sound from passanger too but it only happens when i put it drive, reverse, second, and first not nuetral or park i wonder what it can be

damn

per84720 wrote:
Hey man i have an automatic too. Today i barely started it and i have that sensor too and that annoying buzzing sound from passanger too but it only happens when i put it drive, reverse, second, and first not nuetral or park i wonder what it can be
Well i replaced the o2 sensor and my sensor light is still slightly glowing...If i unplug that relay that is buzzing my sensor light goes off so maybe i have a short somewhere?

PEZi

that sensor light doesn't shut itself off... and i have no idea how to 'reset' it... i eventually unplugged mine

daxon22
Car: 1986 nissan 720

This is what i found on the sensor light above the the hood pop lever One plug in will be yellow and white the other yellow and black. One represents 50,000 miles and the other 100,000 miles. If the truck is over the mileage the indicator will come on. This was so the owner would bring the vehicle in for inspection. Just unplug whatever one is still plugged in and the sensor light will go off.

damn

daxon22 wrote:This is what i found on the sensor light above the the hood pop lever One plug in will be yellow and white the other yellow and black. One represents 50,000 miles and the other 100,000 miles. If the truck is over the mileage the indicator will come on. This was so the owner would bring the vehicle in for inspection. Just unplug whatever one is still plugged in and the sensor light will go off.
Does it effect anything else?

per84720

Does anyone know what the buzing noise is

PEZi

damn wrote:
Does it effect anything else?
nope... not at all
per84720 wrote:Does anyone know what the buzing noise is
no idea... always wondered the same thing but upon removing all the stuff from under the dash i found nothing that would even make sense to be buzzing... its all just A/C and heater plumbing... all i know is i haven't has any buzzing since removing it all but i'm still just as confused as ever as to what causes the buzzing

per84720

PEZi720 wrote:
no idea... always wondered the same thing but upon removing all the stuff from under the dash i found nothing that would even make sense to be buzzing... its all just A/C and heater plumbing... all i know is i haven't has any buzzing since removing it all but i'm still just as confused as ever as to what causes the buzzing
its starting to piss me off im going to find some TSBs on it

damn

per84720 wrote:Does anyone know what the buzing noise is
The noise is coming from the relay...Not sure what would trip it though?

damn

Are drop block's worth anything?

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

what size? and yes for those who want them. Like i may.

PEZi

they aren't worth a lot money wise considering i got mine for $30 bucks at checker...

bread would you want them for your truck? the leaf has to be under the axle to drop it... if its over the axle it'll lift it

damn

breadbox wrote:what size? and yes for those who want them. Like i may.
Pretty sure they are 4inches.

4wheelsoffury
Car: 1985 nissan 720 kingcab ST 4x4 2.4L Z24

this is the relay on the passenger side that you might be hearing,its for the fuel pump, this link will show the pinouts for the harness and how to trblshoot the relay

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Da...l-You

PEZi

^ good stuff man!

Return to “Datsun 720”