New owner 92 Twin Turbo

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
tomtastic
Car: 1992 300ZX Twin Turbo

So I'm a new owner and have a few questions with my new car.

First, the steering wheel is off center by thirty or forty degrees to the left. Not sure why it's off, it doesn't pull left or right when driving, but I haven't jacked it up yet. Would removing the wheel and resetting it be the solution? I suppose after the tie rods are inspected that will probably answer my question. Also, how hard is it to remove wheel w/ airbag?

That's the most annoying problem, but I haven't had it long enough to know much more than that. The hood is also not closing completely, it has a small gap on drivers side and also some give in the center latch. Maybe there is a way to adjust the latch tighter? When I push it down tight it takes care of most the gap from the center and drivers side and is something I could live with if it were tighter. Of course it holds fine as it is, it just bugs the hell out of me when the hood doesn't close right.

Stock radio isn't coming on, neither are the vanity lights but that stuff should be easy to track down. The window washer tubes are broke and the pieces that come through the hood are broke too, but I checked the pump and it's fine, got some fresh fluid sprayed on the battery. How hard is it to replace the sprayers that go through the hood? I could possibly get them attached somehow, but haven't thought much about it.

The rear trunk release doesn't like to open the hatch but it opens fine with key, it needs new shocks back there, and it's heavy so it might have a hard time releasing it with the lever from what I can tell. When the lever is pulled it sounds like it's doing something back there, but it's very quite. (should it be louder?)

Still need to check out a/c and numerous other things. It had a timing belt and water pump replaced at dealership, seems to run very smooth and turbos spool up nice. Had the thing sideways a little when I was test driving it. I'm so not used to that car yet. I've owned a '87 Supra, '89 Supra Turbo and currently have a Porsche 944 but neither can compare to the Turbo Z.

Brakes feel surprisingly strong on the car, I heard they left something to be desired but I'm quite satisfied with them. At initial start up in cold AM I noticed an exhaust leak just in front of the rear tires, I believe it has the stock exhaust, they're the ones that are angled outward and up and like almost five inches in diameter at the tips. Sounds reasonably descent if indeed they are the stock pipes. Probably have to address that leakage down the road. Didn't notice any more leaks further up in exhaust.

It's an auto, which I basically decided I'd have to settle for one when I started looking as the 5 Speeds are highly sought after and harder to find. When I first drove this car which is the first 300zx I've driven ever, it felt like maybe the auto trans. would actually be easier to handle. It feels like a lot of car, heavy maybe or just like it's this monster wanting to be unleashed. I've never owned a sports car with an auto trans. until this one, but I think on this car --at least for me, it might be a little easier to control with an auto and so far I'm not that disappointed with my choice. Basically I can not worry so much about shifting at just the right RPM and can concentrate on keeping better control of car. Plus it has a nice overdrive. 2500 RPM at 65mph therebouts.

Other than that it's in fairly decent shape, maybe an 8 out of 10. Red paint which is what I was looking for, the hood has a couple hail dings but hard to notice. No other dents elsewhere. It needs some detailing, the splash guards in the front under guard area needs some attention, also the plastic covers under the window wipers are cracked and one side is completely loose. The Rear spoiler has some signs of rotting, but very minor and just along the bottom seal, I imagine there's some RTV or something out there that would make a good repair for that.

Also, there are some warning lights on: the ABS, which I'm guessing could be a sensor, washer fluid (duh) and the HICAS, which (hoping is just a sensor too) might have to take that in and get a tech to look it over. When I first drove it the light didn't stay on, then when on the highway it came on and stayed on.

Well, that's about all I can think of right now, probably get it jacked up tomorrow and check front end and see if anything is noticeable on the steering. Replacing a high beam. Which brings up a question: are the two outer bulbs the low beams and the inner lights the high beams? Ended up buying the wrong bulb and it wouldn't fit but didn't have time to go back, it was probably the low beam I was trying to fit in the high.

tomtastic

think I got a bad r/h Headlamp relay. Replaced bulbs but didn't fix, the r/h headlamp relay was not seated properly like someone had been recently checking it. Fuses are fine. Swapped the left relay for the right and the r/h came on so gonna replace that next step.

Idle is a little high in park about 1500. In gear around 1100. Exhaust leak for sure, where it's bolted together is loose just in front of rear tires.

zxFarside
Car: 94 300zx TT (sold)
03 Suburban 5.3
00 BMW 323

tomtastic wrote: That's the most annoying problem, but I haven't had it long enough to know much more than that. The hood is also not closing completely, it has a small gap on drivers side and also some give in the center latch. Maybe there is a way to adjust the latch tighter? When I push it down tight it takes care of most the gap from the center and drivers side and is something I could live with if it were tighter. Of course it holds fine as it is, it just bugs the hell out of me when the hood doesn't close right.
Mine dose the same thing and drives me mad!

tomtastic

Started it up later and it idled fine in park, probably was just cold. New relay fixed the headlamp problem. On to other more exiting things...

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”