New Member with few questions. 03 G35 Sedan

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
mysupratoy94
Car: 2004 G35 Sedan

Ok, so my 03 G35 Sedan suddenly shut off, no warning, just shut off, all electrical, power steering and breaks lost power. My radio station presets got erased as if the battery was removed. Turned it on, lasted about a minute then shut off again. Restarted car and was able to drive it to the dealership.

Long story short, it took them a few days to recreate that problem. They said it was the BC1 sensor... bank cam one sensor i guess.

Shouldnt I have gotten a check engine light for that sensor since its electrical?

Would that cause my engine to turn off and even cause my radio to loose its stations? Something doesnt sound right to me, but im not an expert.

Also, do they need to reflash the onboard computer when installing a new sensor. How much labor (time wise) is involved in replacing this sensor?

I recently changed the brakes on my car, this time not using the factory pads. I turned the rotors and got some brake pads at napa. The car brakes ok but not as tight as it used too. I bled the brakes as well... any other steps that im missing? I was used to the sensitive brake response and now its gone. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Welcome to NICO!

Dropping all electrical power including your radio presets points to something different to me... maybe something simple like a loose battery cable connection or other electrical issue at the battery or alternator. That said, I don't know for sure. Maybe an actual technician with G35 experience will come along and give us some insight.

As far as the brakes, switching back to the OEM pads should fix your problem. Always remember that brake pad performance works in a range that looks something like this.

stops great <------------------------------------------------------> stops eventuallywears fast <---------------------------------------------------> lasts a long timereally dusty <-----------------------------------------> keeps your wheels cleaner

The OEM pads are usually the best compromise between each variable. I would only change to aftermarket pads if you have a specific application (e.g. high temperatures from racing) that's not typical. Aftermarket pad vendors usually have a different goal - advertise a lifetime warranty without replacing pads very often.

Heath

mysupratoy94

Thanks Heath. I agree, it sounds like it should be something to do with power and not a sensor. I think im getting screwed over so if anyone else has any additional ideas or comments i would greatly appreciate all the help. I need to have as much info available so i can make a point when i pickup the car.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Your profile says you have an '04, but the subject line says '03 - which is it? Sometimes it makes a difference if there was an issue with only one model year...

Heath

Q451990

Your profile says you have an '04, but the subject line says '03 - which is it? Sometimes it makes a difference if there was an issue with only one model year...

Kind of late to make a point if you've already authorized the work (appears that you have from your other post) - might as well just wait to see if it comes back. It's possible you have two problems - a bad sensor and an electrical issue.

Heath

mysupratoy94

sorry, typo, its an 03 and i noticed theres a recall for this on that year. I will need to check my vin to see if it falls under that recall. I did approve the job, havent paid for it yet so i may still be able to work something out. They're charging me 110.00 for a computer flash which they say is necessary when changing the sensor, 160.00 for the one sensor and 140 dollars in labor. They said it would take 2 hours to replace, well i busted them because i decided to go visit the dealership 30 minutes after approving the job and they had already not only fixed the car but washed it. Anyways they knew i busted them on the hourly charge so they deducted 20% off the bill.

Q451990

You're right... there was a recall! Assuming your car falls in the VIN range of the recall, and hasn't already been serviced under the recall already, then you should have received new sensors on both banks free of charge.

I have attached the technical service bulletin for this whole issue so that you can reference it when you chat with your service advisor. It might also interest you to see that "warranty book time" is 0.5 hours to complete... although this is usually below typical book time. The factory keeps their costs as low as possible for warranty work by setting their payout for work to the best case scenario in terms of payable hours.

Good luck!

Heath

mysupratoy94

Well my car doesnt fall on the recall list, oh well. Thanks for the info, I will try to negotiate on the cost of the part and labor.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”