New member to forum

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
tucson_sailors
Car: 92 240SX Convertible

Just purchased a 1992 240SX convertible for the wife, and have been reading the forums looking for common problems, etc. "Whimsy" is is missing a few of the original items (boot cover, convertible top motor cover) but nothing that is horrible so far. First things are full fluid changes, general checkup, etc.

Haven't yet found the answers to a couple of questions - so I'll post and accept the "Die Noob!" flames for not searching correctly from jaded oldsters of 14 years of age. :)

1. The mysterious and rare OEM boot seems to be the default solution to the cover the top (I'm in Tucson AZ, so most of the year the top can be down, but want to protect the top so need something to fit over.) Is it worth it to try to find one on the classifieds/ebay, or fabricate one? Wife is a seamstress, have access to a Consew industrial, and my Dad and I used to restore Austin-Healeys and TR6's so not unfamiliar with making new tops - anybody got any good reference photos with approximate dimensions?

2. I've been a number of folks talking about rigid boot cover (not sure if thats the OEM or not - got the impression from the owners manual the OEM is flat fabric only) and I've also heard about a over the windshield tonneau in the FAQ, but the posts are so old that none of the images seems to be online anymore - anyone got a reference picture of the tonneu in place or the rigid plastic boot cover?

Obligatory "if you ask for help, post a suggestion" - when we picked it up, the PO had used silicone to seal a slash that some nameless numbnuts had done to the top in the recent past. It leaked water fairly badly, so I ran by a local RV repair shop and picked up a roll of "RV Canopy Repair" clear tape. It comes in a roll 3" wide by 15' long. Sticks to vinyl and cloth, and is also used to repair sails for boaters. Damn tough stuff, and it held on to the top during Monsoon heavy rains. I'll pull the roof cover from inside tomorrow and actually use it underneath the tears, but a quick and dirty job on the top let us drive it around tonight for a few hours while the rain just rolled of. Cost is about a dollar per foot, but how much is not sitting on a wet seat worth to ya? Might also be useful in a last ditch kinda way for a cracked rear window panel - not many clear heavy duty tapes that have an adhesive that sticks well to the plastic they use for convertible windows. YMMV, but worth a try.

So far I'm amazed at the level of details - I've got a 84 FJ60 Landcruiser thats my DD, so like working on these older rigs, and looks like a lot of the members have been doing the labor of love, and looking forward to exchanging ideas and hopefully finding out I'm one of at least a few folks in AZ.

Glenn in Tucson
"Whimsy" wifes 92 HOT BARBIE PINK 240SX ragtop

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Boot here: convertible-s13-tonneau-cover-kts-z32-r ... 41516.html

Should have searched, noob :P

It's some rubbery/pcv material.

tucson_sailors

Perfect, just what I needed to be able to eyeball. Now I have an idea of the design to make as a soft replacement, and can think about fiberglass fab or kydex plastic forming for after that. I'll probably try to use the heavy duty marine canvas they use for bimi tops on boats - its UV resistant as well as water/mildew/rot resistant. And comes in colors to match the main paint job.

Thanks, and I had my asbestos undies on, so the flame damage is minor! :)

Glenn

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Welcome to the 'vert forum!

AZrolyat
Car: 1993 240sx convertible

Welcome, and yes there are more verts in AZ or atleast here in Phoenix I've seen plenty. I also agree AZ is great for top down driving I rarely have it up. But I find I rarely use my boot mainly cause I never drive that long but it is nice to have. Lastly you said its a pink 240, is the top tan by chance? Cause I've seen a pink & tan one here maybe it's same car and if not I'd be surprised there multiple pink ones in az.

tucson_sailors

Yup. Bought from a UofA student whose Dad lived in Phoenix. I'd be surprised if there is another pink one like it *anywhere*. :)

Glenn

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”