New Member- Need Some Advice

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
CME
Car: 2005 Red Nissan Altima SE-R 6spd

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2005 Altima SE-R 6spd that I have owned for a year and half now and need some thoughts from other Altima owners. I am in a predicament with my car from either keeping it or trading it in. It has 147,000 miles and my commute is around 70 miles a day.

It has the notorious floor board rust. The passenger side is not that bad at all, but the driver side is getting pretty bad, but fortunately for now has not rusted all the way through and can be repaired. I live in Indiana so I know living here will make it worse. It needs to have the timing tensioner/guides replaced and along with the whole chain itself since the tensioner could have stretched the chain. And to add to all of that at least 2 wheel bearings need to be changed out and other odds and ends needing looked at.

I am not sure if it would be worth to replace everything and keep the car, or with the problems and the high mileage on the car if getting rid of it for another vehicle would be the best route. I am looking at a 2012 Subaru WRX hatchback and wondering if it would be worth investing into instead of my Altima now.

Thanks for looking and your own opinions would be great. I love the car, but trying to see whats the best decision to make.

Pr0t3g3
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima 2.5S

if i were would you i would stick with the altima. Well that's just me cause you have the se-r trim which is very rare and awesome in my eyes. If i had the money i would have bought that trim of the car first but it's so rare and hard to find them nowadays but the subaru wrx is a pretty awesome car too just take a look at them both see whats more reliable and less maintenance and i'd go with that one.

paulski
Car: 98 sentra 1.6 automatic

fix your SE-R dude, ive always wanted one and theyre very hard to find. i finally picked one up myself.

Z Car Barbie
Car: 2010 Rogue Krom
1984 300ZX Turbo
1982 280ZX

Can you buy the Subaru without having to give up the Altima, in hopes of repairing it later? If not, that'll be a tough call for you. That 70 mile commute is a big consideration, especially if that's your only transportation and the commute is for work. I've seen foreign cars go for 500k on the original engine, but there will be other repairs along the way (some very expensive), as parts do go bad with normal wear-and-tear, and you already have repairs to make. If it were me, I'd keep it and buy the Subaru, but if that wasn't feasible, I'd sell the Altima (not trade it in because you won't get it's full value). If the Altima is that rare, you shouldn't have a problem selling it for a fair price.

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”